Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LizardWizard
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2014, 12:34 pm

I like dogs a lot; Maybe a little too much. I think this is related to stimming as the dog's soft fur is nice to touch. I'm really fascinated in watching them and if I see a dog in public I become completely fixated on observing and/or petting the dog.

How much do you like dogs? Are you like this when you see a dog?

Autism Spectrum Quotient: 42
Emotional intelligence quotient: 32

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 12:57 pm

Dogs generally scare me especially the big ones and pitbulls. I cross the street whenever I see someone walking up the sidewalk and their dog isn't leashed. I've also left a state park because people had their dog unleashed.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 12:59 pm

When I was little I was in love with dogs. They were my special interest. I know what you mean LizWiz. Now I have that kind of love for horses. I can just stand in the pasture with them all day.

Wreck It Ralph

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2014, 1:07 pm

I love dogs.

And you are in good company. Here's Picasso with his adorable sausage dog, Lump.

[img][800:1577]http://i.imgur.com/8SZclNN.jpg[/img]

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 1:15 pm

I love dogs too!! !

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 1:36 pm

I don't mean to bust any bubbles here but a lot of people don't like dogs very much and they have some valid reasons. I used to have a radioactive beagle as a pet when I was a boy. She was the product of a science experiment and I loved her very much even though I was exposed to deadly radiation by cuddling with her for fourteen years (that beagle was supposed to have been destroyed, not become a little boy's pet). As a boy too I could not relate to cats at all, had no connections with cats, but I loved Daiquiri the Radioactive Beagle.

Still as an adult, I much prefer cats. Here are some of the reasons I do not like dogs and I am sure many who don't like dogs share these reasons.

They are too intense, either too friendly or too aggressive, and the ones who are so friendly are so friendly it seems fake like they are sycophants (boot lickers), either like they are programmed to be slavishly devoted to us or they are just ret*d. Either way their affection does not seem as genuine to me as that of cats I have met.

You don't hear about cats killing people but it is in the news all the time with dogs, singly or in packs killing babies and even adult humans. Mother of three taken down by strays or loose pets while jogging in a park, that type of thing.

Dogs are loud and obnoxious. As I walk down a street dogs bark when I go by their yard, but I am no threat. Since they bark at everybody who walks by their use as an alarm is worse than useless, just annoying. It makes the world a more painful place for those like me with sensory issues. I know a lot of it is the owners fault for not training them, but some owners LIKE it that their dogs bark and growl at anyone who even passes by their property.

Dogs shed hair and bring fleas into the house. I was in a mixed pet household and we had flea problems every year. The cats are all indoors only cats. Since the dogs have gone, no more flea problem. Fleas bring even nastier problems like worms into the house. I had to deworm my cats more than once because of the fleas those dogs brought into the house.

You have to take you dog outside for it to go bathroom, and have to (or SHOULD) pick up its poop. Some people don't and that is really nasty stuff to step in.

I have met some well behaved dogs and those can be joys to be around. But for every well-behaved dog I have met I have met at least ten or maybe even a hundred that are not well behaved and are generally a-hole animals in my opinion. Of course again it comes back a lot of times to the poor dogs being raised by irresponsible or ret*d owners.

Just saying, dogs are fine, but please pick up their poop and control their barking if it is a constant annoyance to the neighborhood. I hope this helps. Not throwing a wet blanket on your party, just injecting some perspective on aspects of dogginess that many dog owners seem oblivious to. What's worse of course are the people who don't care about what their dogs do, and in those cases I fully recognize it is not the dogs' fault. There is even a famous book on this theme called No Bad Dogs.

silky
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2014, 5:24 pm

Ah, a Special Interest. I relate to dogs so much that my best friend insists I am more dog than human. :-D.

I became a breeder.
Built a nice kennel. Tried to make a living at it.
Joined the local dog club and helped them put on formal shows.
Won a trophy in obedience training.
Drank the contents of every dog fancy magazine and veterinary reference book at the library.
At one point, I had 27 (small) dogs in the house.
For years my entire life and schedule was centered on the dogs.

If I gave any more details, the forum would shout insults.

You might find Boomer the Dog interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X50bLlu9uvw

Last edited by silky on 07 Oct 2014, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 5:59 pm

On 60 minutes on Sunday, a dog expert said that when a dog looks at you in 'that certain way" that he is hugging you with his eyes. I think dog lovers already knew that.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Oct 2014, 6:39 pm

I like dogs but I like em better after I'm around em for awhile & gotten to know their specif personalities.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

silky
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2014, 7:33 pm

I was actually confused by that 60 minutes program where they kept talking about staring into each others eyes. I always heard that you should never stare down your dog since that is a wolf act of aggression

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 8:37 pm

I have a sign in my house that reads "The More I Know Some People, The More I Like Dogs"

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Oct 2014, 8:41 pm

Aspinator wrote:
I have a sign in my house that reads "The More I Know Some People, The More I Like Dogs"
I think some women reading this thread would like this quote from the Carrie Underwood song, More Boys I Meet :arrow:

And, I , I close my eyes
And, I kiss that frog
Each time finding
The more boys I meet the more I love my dog

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 9:03 pm

I get along better with dogs I find than people, they're my favorite animal too.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 9:12 pm

I never met a dog I didn't like, to modify the phrase.

Yes, staring is an aggressive behavior and shouldn't be done with any dog other then your own. Its ok to do it with your own if you have brought it up/trained it not to associate it with aggression. I can stare at will at both my dogs and they only see it as a sign that I am giving them attention.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 6:27 am

One of the best moments of my day is when i finally go back to home after an exhausting day of work/university and my dog receive me like if there was a year that we haven't see each other, licking all my face and demanding my attention. I love dogs too!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 7:03 am

Dogs are awesome! I'm very fond of dogs.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765