Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2014, 5:13 pm

Can anybody give me a concrete example/description of "highly verbal" vs. some other degree(s) of verbal?

Love transcends all.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 9:27 pm

Is it the request for a concrete description/example the reason nobody is responding?

Love transcends all.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 9:36 pm

I was hoping to read some responses too, since some people have said they or their children are highly verbal.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 9:42 pm

Since age 4 or 5 I know I talked well verbally. Depends if you mean speech or not?

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 10:15 pm

Lumi wrote:
Since age 4 or 5 I know I talked well verbally. Depends if you mean speech or not?

I was just hoping to learn what people mean when they describe someone as "highly verbal". Or just what other people understand it to mean when they read it or hear it.

I don't have a specific definition of the words, myself....I only know that "highly verbal" must be more verbal than other degrees of verbal -- somewhere near the top (or at the very top) of a heirarchical categorization of degrees-of-verbal for autistic people. (I know "highly verbal" is a category but I don't know what goes into the category.)

Love transcends all.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 11:56 pm

I was "highly verbal" as a child according to my parents. I'm not sure what that means in general, but in my case they probably referred to the fact that I started talking when I was 6 months old, used long and complex sentences by the age of 2 and always had a bit of an "adult language".