Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

azstar1992
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Oct 2014, 3:36 pm

allow me to introduce myself, my name is humpty (a joke for 90's lovers)

i feel like that i stim because i get small bursts of energy and i want to shout instead i try to suppress it leading to it coming out slowly hence it comes out by me making a "Brrrr" sound.

i do use some words too much ( it used to be Question every time i asked a question like "Question, do you think that ........" but now it is "Basically,this will occur at this point" or "basically, you think this" i use some words too much and it makes my vocabulary seem limited.

i am wondering is it normal for an aspie to do these things

i am wondering is it wrong to call yourself a aspie if you havent been diagnosed

superpentil
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2014, 3:43 pm

If its already a good way to express yourself, then why change it? I do what you say a lot. Though not in writing. I always try to make it different to keep the reader interested. I have been diagnosed by the way.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 37 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 3:55 pm

Hi and welcome to WP. Aspies do many things with language so what you are doing could possibly be an Aspie thing but from your description it's a bit hard to tell.

As far as what you call yourself, I personally don't think it's wrong to call yourself Aspie if you have not been clinically diagnosed. I think it's wrong to call yourself Aspie just on a whim if you don't know much about it though. If you are very serious and have done tons of research to the point where it is pretty much beyond a doubt that the diagnostic criteria fits you then that is a different matter. I don't know where you are from but in the United States, an adult diagnosis for Autism Spectrum can cost thousands of dollars and the benefits available with one are not that significant. And some insurances refuse to pay towards and adult ASD diagnosis. So for people who simply cannot afford one, I like to offer the grace and understanding and benefit of the doubt. But most of these people have done the extensive research it takes to really know what Asperger's is about and most of the time they have not done it alone. And many find that this is the one condition that gives them answers to their struggles in life. I do appreciate when people are honest though and if they have not been officially diagnosed that they actually mention that when it is appropriate. That is what I have done. I call myself Aspie because the shoe fits pretty much perfectly. But I let people know my diagnostic status when it matters.

I don't appreciate people who just know one or two things that might be stereotypical and then from there put themselves on the Spectrum. That makes it very difficult and unfair to people who really suffer on a daily basis because of this condition. But anyone who tells me they are on the Spectrum, I always try to respect that and give them the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes you can't tell by outward appearance or first glance. For me that is the case. No one would just assume I have an ASD when they first meet me. So I never make it my place to deny anyone who tells me they are no matter how normal they might appear. But when people say they are not clinically diagnosed but they have extensive knowledge and experiences to back up the claim, I respect that.

I have had people say to me "My kid is on the Spectrum" and the only reason is that he is very smart. If someone says that to me I don't respect that at all and it actually upsets me. I try to educate them. If they listen and learn that's great. If they are not willing to do that then my respect for them shrinks even more.

Wreck It Ralph

wisenupjanetweiss
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Oct 2014, 4:10 pm

I get the reference. :) Great song, I used to have part as my text ringtone!

I do both of what you're saying on occasion. I haven't been diagnosed myself, but I've found I can generally empathize with those on the spectrum, and have been given sort of a nod by many who are. I agree with Skibum- if you've done the research, it's probably safe to say, though you might want to let people know that you hold no actual diagnosis if it matters.

Self-diagnosis can be a serious problem for those who hold the diagnosis, but at the same time, sometimes your options are limited, and it's hard to explain what may be an important part of yourself otherwise.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 4:11 pm

azstar1992 wrote:
allow me to introduce myself, my name is humpty (a joke for 90's lovers)

i feel like that i stim because i get small bursts of energy and i want to shout instead i try to suppress it leading to it coming out slowly hence it comes out by me making a "Brrrr" sound.

i do use some words too much ( it used to be Question every time i asked a question like "Question, do you think that ........" but now it is "Basically,this will occur at this point" or "basically, you think this" i use some words too much and it makes my vocabulary seem limited.

i am wondering is it normal for an aspie to do these things

i am wondering is it wrong to call yourself a aspie if you havent been diagnosed

I use some words too much like the word indeed there are others but can't seem to think of them right now. lol I don't get the joke and I grew up in the 90's so :?.....I think I might have some verbal stimming sort of stuff going on to, sometimes I find myself making random noises for no reason though as of late I just say meow a lot....but me, my brother and a couple friends have made it sort of an inside thing now so we all meow at each other. I do not know though in public what people would find more strange me making some random noise vs. meowing.

I think it would be wrong to say you have an AS diagnoses if you don't, but if you've read up on it and researched it and it really seems to fit I do not think its wrong to call yourself that though might want to specify it's a self diagnoses and not official though.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 4:51 pm

Let me guess.

You like your gravy....lumpy? :D

I used to deejay at dance parties in the 90's.

I don't see anything wrong with how you converse.
For example:saying "question!" before you ask a question -in room with alot of loud people- is a rather efficient way to get your question across.

If you have to just make noise- just whip out your cell phone- and pretend your having a heated debate with someone on the other end-to let off steam.

About whether you can call yourself an "aspie"- I don't know. I did start thinking of myself as an aspie before I got the real exhuastive test that made it official. On this site you could call yourself a "probable aspie" I suppose.