Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 1:54 pm

I am wondering if anyone has stims that include rocking. I know that it's been my longest one (since I can remember). If it's also one of yours, what do you get out of it? Why do you think you started, in the first place? My thought was that because our mother's generally rock us to sleep, that (from birth) we come to associate it with safety and care. Just my theory. What do you all think?

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 3:18 pm

I rock forward, then back. It is very stimulating, slower is calming...I don't notice when out of the house.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 3:24 pm

nyxjord wrote:
I am wondering if anyone has stims that include rocking. I know that it's been my longest one (since I can remember). If it's also one of yours, what do you get out of it? Why do you think you started, in the first place? My thought was that because our mother's generally rock us to sleep, that (from birth) we come to associate it with safety and care. Just my theory. What do you all think?

Rocking out as a stim?

Anyways sometimes I have caught myself doing a wee bit of rocking when concentrating....but I also sometimes wonder if being on the spectrum makes it harder for me to resist rocking out to rock/metal music. I mean it's really hard not to headbang in public when listening to headbanging worthy music on headphones.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 3:43 pm

I am sure at least one person saw my preoccupied rocking back and forth and thought I was a davening refugee from the wailing wall.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 4:11 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Rocking out as a stim?

Anyways sometimes I have caught myself doing a wee bit of rocking when concentrating....but I also sometimes wonder if being on the spectrum makes it harder for me to resist rocking out to rock/metal music. I mean it's really hard not to headbang in public when listening to headbanging worthy music on headphones.

I love headbanger type music for this reason. It's publicly acceptable to rock out a bit while listening to music. I rock without the music too. It's the most relaxing stim for me. I sometimes rock myself to sleep.
Rowing is a great sport for rocking too.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 4:33 pm

My custom title "Rock On" has a double meaning. My love of rock music and my constantly rocking back and forth as a stim. I think I rock for the same reason why babies are rocked and people like rocking chairs. It's soothing.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 4:50 pm

I've rocked since I was about 12. Before that my stims were more eye based! It gives me an amazing sense of calm when I am sensorarily overwhelmed. I also own a rocking chair which I love except it needs gluing back together...

Butterfiend
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2014, 9:37 pm

I do it when I have anxiety.

AQ Score:44

Feel free to PM me for any reason at all. I like to talk to people online.

"I do not know what I am, and soon it may not matter." -Mewtwo.

"Time passes, people move. Like a river’s flow, it never ends." - Sheik

"I'm not popular enough to be different." -Homer Simpson

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 9:41 pm

I rock sometimes, but typically I just bounce my leg at a rapid-fire pace.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 9:42 pm

I do the leg thing also.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 12:19 am

I rock in order to stim and self-soothe, as well - I always have, to some extent. Whenever I'm lying in bed trying to fall asleep, I sometimes rock from side to side to sort of simulate the sensation of a mother rocking their child, or the cradle that the child is sleeping in. I also started rocking as a self-soothing technique more recently. It started when I was on a plane a few weeks ago...when we came in for a landing, the plane hit the runway with a thud, and since I was feeling sort of airsick to begin with, and was badly startled by the thud, I started cuddling my hoodie against my face and rocking gently back and forth in my seat. It helped after a few minutes.

Since then, I've found myself rocking whenever I'm anxious or upset, even in public....I can "turn it off" if I want to, but I'm kinda past the point of caring if anyone sees it and thinks it's weird....I just do what I have to do to get through the day.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 12:56 am

I think it might have something to do with vestibular processing....even if it isn't that, I think it's an automatic physiological regulating mechanism of some kind.

Love transcends all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 1:15 am

one way or another [speaking of the vestibular thing] it is my way of feeling less out of balance.

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2014, 2:10 am

ya i do that.. also leg twitching

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 5:01 am

I have done it since12-13. Just called it something else. As little I did it sideways when aroused.
Sometimes a slight rocking back and forth gives a nice centered feeling. Sometimes it can ease anxiety. At times it happens during a nice phonetalk with a friend, so I think it is serves as a regulation of the general arousal level.
I have also rocked myself to sleep (still do it sometimes)
Does that make it a stim?

Mostly I´m doing the foot thing, or shaking exess tension out of my hand.
People think, that flickering looks creepy. Rubbing palms against each other seems less conspicuous, so I prefer to do that in public, if need be

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 5:06 am

I used to be a hand flapper.