Do meltdowns usually begin with anxiety attacks?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 6:39 am

Do they feel similar to anxiety attacks?

I have had numerous anxiety attacks in my adult life - both ones that were connected to something upsetting and ones that came out of nowhere. But I don't think I have had any meltdowns in my adult life - if meltdown implies an explosive outburst that can easily be seen by any casual observer - which is the impression I get from the discussions here.

As a child I had many explosive outburst on many occasions which were thought at the time to just be temper tantrums or plays for attentions. This was back in the 60's when people didn't know very much about autism or meltdowns. I suspect some of those explosive outburst may very well have been meltdowns.

I guess my question is do meltdowns usually begin with anxiety attacks? Are they similar in their feeling to anxiety attacks?

- Albert Einstein

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Nov 2014, 7:14 am

Meltdowns the way I define them for me come more from frustration and anger whereas an anxiety attack is anxiety obviously. When I'm anxious in general I'm more likely to withdraw and shutdown than blow up and be noticed.

Shelldor2015
Raven
Raven

Location: In a Bob Ross painting looking at pretty little clouds and talking to happy little trees.

23 Nov 2014, 7:26 am

For me they can be either. This really confuses my therapist. I can have a meltdown for absolutely no reason at all. I can be having a fairly good day and something will hit me sideways and, BOOM. Meltdown. I also tend to internalize them until I just can't contain it anymore.

AQ 46

"If there is a 50-50 chance something will go wrong, 9 times out of 10 it will" Paul Harvey

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 8:00 am

They are different experiences for me, but anxiety certainly intensifies my sensitivities and plays a role in being overwhelmed.
A panic attack is a distinct experience, with physical symptoms such as chest pain, difficulty breathing, and being terrified. I prefer to have company during one and can usually avoid them by addressing my body’s warning signals.
From what Ive come to understand about myself a meltdown is being so overwhelmed that I cannot think clearly, like an implosion in my brain, I sob uncontrollably, can’t rationalise and need to be alone until it runs its course. Sometimes I depersonalise, but maybe this is a shutdown, I don’t know how to avoid this experience bar trying to control noise exposure and avoiding emotionally overwhelming situations.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 11:55 am

I think it depends. For me, they seem to start that way. I get really overwhelmed by something, and in an instant I'm melting down over it. I do think anxiety plays a huge part in our systems. I mean, it won't happen unless we become overwhelmed by something bothering us, if that makes sense?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 3:04 pm

Meltdowns are totally different from anxiety attacks.
Meltdowns are sudden, eggsplosive outbursts.