Looking for Asperger's research studies to participate

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

bnes
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Nov 2014, 1:12 pm

Hello,

I am a 28-year-old from Hamburg, Germany. In 2005, autism expert Brit Wilczek diagnosed me with Asperger’s Syndrome.

My main special interest has been the English language since I started going to school. My mother remembers that once I started learning how to read (in German) I asked her to buy me self-taught English books. As I grew older, I became very interested in American culture and media.

While I occasionally watch or read German movies or books, I mainly focus on media and literature in English. I find it remarkable that I never felt like I belonged in Germany, yet on trips to the United States of America, a foreign country, (and, to a lesser degree, to the United Kingdom) I felt much less socially awkward, more relaxed and more as a part of society.

Because I was not diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome until age 23, I had to learn and adapt to social interactions, empathy, and so on, on my own when I was growing up. I managed to do so to a certain level, however, I seem to have more difficulties to do so in Germany than in English speaking countries, especially the US.

I can express myself more articulately in English than in my native language. It is much easier for me to talk about personal feelings. When in the US, the typical 'wrong planet' feeling occurs much less to me. I have less to no problems in larger crowds, i.e. family parties, restaurants etc. I can still experience overloads if these occasions take place over extended periods of time or if there are too many people around me, but this occurs less frequently there than it does here in Germany.

Here is my question. Are there currently any Asperger's Syndrome or autism research studies, in which I -a German citizen- would be able to participate?

I am looking forward to your reply.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 1:45 pm

Go to Professor Tony Attwood's home page website. He has a tab which will bring up all the current studies that you can participate in, quite a lot of them at any time.

bnes
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Nov 2014, 2:44 pm

Thank you for the information.

I probably should have explained this better... What I meant was that I am looking for long-term studies where I would be participating on location (at a research centre, university etc.) somewhere in the US.