Page 1 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 8:00 am

I feel like I fit in here but not all the time, when I see people talking about their lives and problems here its similar to mine but in a different way, I don't even know how to explain it but when I see people's posts here talking about real life situations its different than mine because of their culture, background, ethnicity, etc, etc. although I do think about and see things the same way people here do and have common intrests and traits with them and enjoy WP
Do you feel you fit in WP??? And if you don't why??

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 8:09 am

Not really. I get kind of bored with it around here because I find that there's not that much to discuss, which is why I haven't been around here much recently.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 8:11 am

I don't really have an answer because I don't have any sense of group to fit in with. I am NT and my only goal is self-improvement, through posting and learning. 'Not fitting in' usually implies a sense of discomfort as a result of feeling alien or being outcast, and I do not really possess those feelings.

If I had to choose, the most logical answer would be to say no, because this website's main audience are autistic individuals.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 8:12 am

I feel okay in WP most of the time. Most people are decent, and want to better themselves in life. Sometimes, the "intellectual/logical" outweighs the "human," though when discussing things such as relations between the genders and political topics.

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2014, 8:26 am

I don't feel that I particularly fit in anywhere. I do find, however, that WP is helpful to me in many ways especially in not feeling totally alone. You take the good with the bad.

I'm sure that after a few more posts I'll grow tired and disappear for another year....hence my low number of posts in 5 years.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 8:34 am

Not really. Although I see many posts by other people about their problems that I can relate to, very few people seem to be able to relate to my posts. I've been wondering how other people get to respond to each other's posts repeatedly and build friendly relationships. I've been on WP for over two years and have a post count > 5000 but I'm still ignored most of the time. I guess my posts must be weird/boring/stupid or whatever for most people. People will naturally be drawn to interesting posts, not boring ones. Well, I'm still comfortable enough here.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 8:35 am

Since I have never been that good at reading people - it is always hard for me to know if I fit in or if I am being annoying. But there are so many members here on Wrong Planet who describe experiences I can relate to very well. All my life I have had a number of oddities and idiosyncrasies that baffle others. It has been a valuable experience for me to find that there are so many people who share many of these same or similar oddities and idiosyncrasies.

- Albert Einstein

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 8:46 am

Fit in? I don't get it. :lol: (No, really, I don't get it. I can't say yes or no, therefore, I'm not sure. Yet I'm certain it's not negative. At least I'm not being mobbed out by a mod or a group for nothing or being judged as harshly as real life (yet?) because of my point of views.) Also, I do, try my best not to be annoying or annoy someone...

But I like the POV posts around here because I can relate, and answers and questions... Mostly stuffs that I haven't thought of.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 8:53 am

Edna: do you feel like you could relate to at least some of the people on WP?

Do you feel like you have similar experiences--thus enabling you to "identify" with them?

Do you feel that the people on WP "listen" to you when you post?

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 8:59 am

Yes and no.

But IRL when I say I'm confused people may not believe me and sometimes make fun of me.

Here when I say I'm confused, at worst I might be ignored. But usually if I say I'm confused, someone believes me and explains.

That's worth a lot. To be believed that I'm real as I am.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 9:04 am

Not at all.

Then again, I feel that I don't fit in anywhere.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2014, 9:13 am

Less than I expected.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 9:22 am

jk1 wrote:
Not really. Although I see many posts by other people about their problems that I can relate to, very few people seem to be able to relate to my posts. I've been wondering how other people get to respond to each other's posts repeatedly and build friendly relationships. I've been on WP for over two years and have a post count > 5000 but I'm still ignored most of the time. I guess my posts must be weird/boring/stupid or whatever for most people. People will naturally be drawn to interesting posts, not boring ones. Well, I'm still comfortable enough here.

I would say your posts are none of those things. I find your contributions to threads in the General Autism Forum to be pretty insightful most of the time.

Going over the replies to this thread, I notice a couple of posters I would consider staple members of this community. The fact that they consider themselves 'not fitting in' here on WP says more about the general insecurities and lack of self confidence that often comes with autism, than about actually being in tune or not with the vibe of the forum and with one's fellow members. But I also think that's not too surprising for a message board that's mainly frequented by people who are, in one way or another, 'outsiders

EDIT: and yes, I myself am often also plagued by nagging thoughts of 'not fitting in' with 'the crowd' here on WrongPlanet. But I know I'm overblowing things when I do that.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 10:10 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
Going over the replies to this thread, I notice a couple of posters I would consider staple members of this community. The fact that they consider themselves 'not fitting in' here on WP says more about the general insecurities and lack of self confidence that often comes with autism, than about actually being in tune or not with the vibe of the forum and with one's fellow members.

I think a lot of it is not so much general insecurity or lack of self confidence but rather a recognition that there really isn't a thing to fit into. There is no in-crowd and posting a lot doesn't make you part of anything. It is inevitable that some people here will share interests and sympathies and express that, but it's not like teams or cliques or anything of that kind.

I find a lot here that resonates with me on one level or another. I find reading the experiences and ideas related here enriching. I don't worry about "fitting in" because this is not that kind of community--or, if it is, I am blissfully ignorant of that aspect of it.

I have come to recognize and appreciate a number of regular posters, including you, and I hope that things I express here are somehow helpful to other people as well as to me, but I don't think that is the same as "fitting in."

The "fitting in" idea seems more about reinforcing restricted behaviors to facilitate in group identification and not really relevant.

I appreciate, for example, kraftiekortie's compassion, Fnord's acerbic clarity and EzraS's honest self expression, but this doesn't make them part of a group or require that I change anything about myself in order to join or fit. This is one of the things I cherish about WP.

Speaking of the individuals I recognize, I do miss Cornflake and Tallyman and dislike the thought that I won't be reading their ideas here anymore.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 11:06 am

Thanks everyone who replied :) what I meant is not exactly fitting in like when you would be with people, I meant I couldn't sympathize very much with people here

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 11:08 am

I also feel like I'm annoying or rude or stupid after posting something lol