those who think in images, are you constantly connecting?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Nov 2014, 11:06 pm

i have noticed, during my aspie discovery - that all of my life I have thought in images and I completely thought it was normal. I always remember trying to explain how my detail of memories that I've experienced were so graphic, that it was like i was pulling out an images, like on a screen. Constant movies, it's very weird for me. It's like an example

- My little cousin said "I'm not scared", then all of a sudden a scene of a movie I had seen where the girl said "I'm not scared", echo'd and I saw the exact scene, HD precision in my brain. This is why I don't listen to music or movies or watch TV because I will be absolutely bombarded by those images, if I don't live it for myself. So, in example: I want it to be like, next time someone says something - I make a connection to something I HAVE SEEN. Does that make sense? I am always constantly seeing patterns. Yet the funniest part is when I'm reading a fictional book, I have such a hard time imagining things? It's like because it's from 'that world' and not my own? Funny, huh?

How the hell could I have ever been ashamed or hated myself for being this way? I am so proud now. I am so tired of beating myself up. This is fun, this is cool, my world is ok.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 11:55 pm

campboy92 wrote:
i h This is why I don't listen to music or movies or watch TV because I will be absolutely bombarded by those images, if I don't live it for myself. So, in example: I want it to be like, next time someone says something - I make a connection to something I HAVE SEEN. Does that make sense? I am always constantly seeing patterns. Yet the funniest part is when I'm reading a fictional book, I have such a hard time imagining things? It's like because it's from 'that world' and not my own? Funny, huh?

It makes perfect sense to me.
I quit TV years ago because it was filling my head with garbage.
My brain filters real things from imaginary, and my preference is for the real.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Nov 2014, 11:59 pm

olympiadis wrote:
campboy92 wrote:
i h This is why I don't listen to music or movies or watch TV because I will be absolutely bombarded by those images, if I don't live it for myself. So, in example: I want it to be like, next time someone says something - I make a connection to something I HAVE SEEN. Does that make sense? I am always constantly seeing patterns. Yet the funniest part is when I'm reading a fictional book, I have such a hard time imagining things? It's like because it's from 'that world' and not my own? Funny, huh?

You are also spectrum? So you relateD? I'M NOT CRAZY!!

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 12:55 am

campboy92 wrote:
olympiadis wrote:
campboy92 wrote:

or we're both crazy, depending on which side of the glass you are on.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Nov 2014, 1:44 am

olympiadis wrote:
campboy92 wrote:
olympiadis wrote:
campboy92 wrote:

or we're both crazy, depending on which side of the glass you are on.

:) we have that filter, that organization

emandeli
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Nov 2014, 3:20 pm

Identical to me.

I get my diagnosis this Sunday, so unsure if it's an ASD thing.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Nov 2014, 7:17 pm

emandeli wrote:
Identical to me.

Interesting.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 8:10 pm

emandeli wrote:

Diagnosis on the weekend? That seems weird.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Nov 2014, 1:44 am

Yes!

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 1:55 am

I don't think in images like you describe, but I do connect things regardless. If somebody says something that is similar to a quote I've heard from a movie or wherever, I will immediately think of it and sometimes I even say it out loud. If it's a song it reminded me of I sometimes start singing it, too.

- Sherlock Holmes

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Nov 2014, 2:01 am

L_Holmes wrote:
I don't think in images like you describe, but I do connect things regardless. If somebody says something that is similar to a quote I've heard from a movie or wherever, I will immediately think of it and sometimes I even say it out loud. If it's a song it reminded me of I sometimes start singing it, too.

Yup, I do that too. Are you diagnosed?

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 2:08 am

campboy92 wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:

Yup, I do that too. Are you diagnosed?

No, not officially. I have less than a month until my next evaluation appointment though.

But I think I have it, as up until reading about Asperger's and discovering WP, I never felt like I belonged anywhere, EVER. Then suddenly I find a ton of people who think and act very similarly, and I can actually comfortably interact with them, and they are all autistic... it would be a bit odd if I wasn't autistic too, knowing that.

- Sherlock Holmes

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 3:57 am

I do have this to an extent, but the images aren't always clear. I have a much stronger connection to songs, and I can hardly have a conversation without getting a song stuck in my head. For example, if I hear the word weather , my mind immediately jumps to Let It Snow. Same for movie quotes.

mjay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Nov 2014, 6:03 am

yep! I find it relentless but seems as though I like visual thinking, it shows how big the bank of images is or is becoming.
I thought that everyone thought in images..lol, guess what I have realised!

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2014, 8:22 am

I'm officially diagnosed, and my Mom's an NT. I have always been told that I "think in images", but couldn't figure out what this meant. I can think about words, descriptions, etc., but most of the time I relate my thinking to my dreaming. It's vastly similar in that it includes both relived moments and new ones that I haven't even thought of.

That being said, what I am currently seeing through my eyes is independent of what I'm seeing through my "mind's eye". Case in point, I'm looking out the window at the post-fall trees (no snow since it warmed up), and while I can visualize snow on the tree, it takes over what I am seeing through my actual eyes. The reason why I bring this up is because I have yet to figure out the difference between "thinking in images" and NOT doing so. I feel strange asking this, but how do NT's think? What is it like to NOT think in images? Is it just as simple as when you think, it's just words and descriptions and stuff, or is there no imagery at all?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 10:26 am

I do make connections to things I hear and see all the time.

Not too sure if it means anything though, but it does make me smile sometimes.