Page 1 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 9:45 am

When I look at pictures of myself as a child and teen, my eyes look like they are starring far off somewhere and are not looking at the camera. This is so even in some photos where I am actually making "eye contact" with the camera. It still looks like I am looking somewhere else, like I am looking through the camera.

Is this how your eyes look in childhood photos?

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 10:04 am

emtyeye wrote:
When I look at pictures of myself as a child and teen, my eyes look like they are starring far off somewhere and are not looking at the camera. This is so even in some photos where I am actually making "eye contact" with the camera. It still looks like I am looking somewhere else, like I am looking through the camera.

Is this how your eyes look in childhood photos?

DD's eyes look like that in quite a few pictures all the way through from baby till now. She is 10 and diagnosed HFA.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 10:23 am

Almost all of my pictures looked like that from the ages of maybe almost three until about 5 or 6. We lost thousands of pictures in a move once so I only have a few pictures but I noticed that about them. I also saw a picture of me with that stare when I was about ten. I also remember sitting for a portrait when I was about 5 and I remember my mom doing all kinds of silly things trying to get me to smile. But the portrait has that tell tale Autisitc stare as well. It's a shame because mom and dad spent a lot of money to have it done in a very famous artist district where you have a be a very excellent artist to work there. All of us got one done and all of my siblings portraits have very beautiful and sweet smiles and mine looks like I am mad and staring at nothing. Maybe I can have another one done and look happier in it.

But after the age of 5 or so my pictures were much better. I was engaged in them with eye contact and had beautiful smiles whenever I was smiling.

Wreck It Ralph

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 11:00 am

I had a pretty strong, focused look until 3.
After that, I looked away or in a slightly different direction. Later on people began to comment my "dreamy" look.
I never had a "stare".

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 11:30 am

Not really sure..

[img][800:1600]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4X9fo6A5bfA/UzL_zG2Pd5I/AAAAAAAAAIM/6AvLe6LDKS0/s1600/img022.jpg[/img]

[img][800:1600]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zqtvWOmmB64/UzL_s6ik6II/AAAAAAAAAIE/sa0T1EgWU_4/s1600/img023.jpg[/img]

delaSHANE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 11:58 am

Yes, and not limited to childhood photos. My eyes still appear as you describe and I also get the same comment from people that Jensen mentioned. The dreamy look...
Those are precious photos, bumble.

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 12:29 pm

This is me at a rather early age. I would say 90% of my pictures are like this even to this day. So I take it this is another indication of being on the spectrum?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 1:07 pm

yep,these childhood photos of mine [all stuck on a blog just for the purpose of going through childhood] are all typical of the blank distant classic autie stare;
http://autistadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

delaSHANE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 1:15 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
yep,these childhood photos of mine [all stuck on a blog just for the purpose of going through childhood] are all typical of the blank distant classic autie stare;

Your blog is lovely, KingdomOfRats. So are your photos!

Your photo is adorable, KBBCWB. You look just the same, now (as per your photo on khaoz' "exposed" thread), as you did as a child. Amazing.

Sorry. I know this thread isn't regarding 'cute' photos. Can't help but mention, though.

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 1:22 pm

delaSHANE wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:

Your blog is lovely, KingdomOfRats. So are your photos!

Your photo is adorable, KBBCWB. You look just the same, now (as per your photo on khaoz' "exposed" thread), as you did as a child. Amazing.

Sorry. I know this thread isn't regarding 'cute' photos. Can't help but mention, though.

You're a lil cutie KingdomOfRats! Sometimes I can't always tell on computer monitors but are you a redhead as well?

Still hate pics of myself delaSHANE that will never change... Embarrassed now probably should have posted it... Image

Last edited by KB8CWB on 26 Mar 2014, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonicTommy
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2014, 1:24 pm

Yup, I was always lost in my own little world, lol.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 1:29 pm

You were all cute kiddies. I'm not sure if I have the classic aspie stare or not but I look really freaking weird in some of my childhood pictures. I'm planning to post them as soon as my mum and I take them to a scanner which we're planning to do soon so she can get rid of our physical photo albums.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 1:32 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:

Wow, your pictures remind me of myself. I never considered myself to have 'the stare', but those pictures are a lot like mine. When I was a new born, I had no expression in my pictures, until maybe about 9 months (making a complete guess here). Then from there, I seemed to be OK in some pictures, but then most of them I looked very stare-eyed.

If I could be bothered to hunt my parents bedroom for baby pictures, I would, but I'll have to do it this weekend instead.

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 1:34 pm

I'm not sure either, although I think I have wondered along similar lines...

delaSHANE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 1:37 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
You were all cute kiddies. I'm not sure if I have the classic aspie stare or not but I look really freaking weird in some of my childhood pictures. I'm planning to post them as soon as my mum and I take them to a scanner which we're planning to do soon so she can get rid of our physical photo albums.

Really looking forward to seeing your photos, daydreamer. All I know is, in all of the photos that include me and my sisters, I have a completely different look on my face. Even if I am smiling, it is very different than my sister's smiles. Like, you can tell someone just told us to smile, and I am simply following the command, or what have you.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 1:38 pm

^
I don't get this aspie stare thing. To me a lot of the pictures that supposedly have an aspie stare of others I've seen online, the pictures posted in this thread so far and some of me that my mum say look awkward just look like kids/people who are not smiling, that's all. I don' t get how the stare is different from an NT's. Some of my pictures I can tell look weird because I'm making a weird face with my nose all scrunched up or my eyes are too wide or a really awkward, twisty posture, I'll show you, but these kind of pictures look normal to me.

*I'm not saying there isn't such a stare, I just can't recognize it.