does anyone get stimuli overload from internet/technology?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Nov 2014, 12:02 am

I suffer from fragmented perception, everything always seems new all the time. I guess i don't suffer from it, it's just me and that's ok - it's ok to be different but anyways as my autism has progressed with age. A lot of qualities I didn't notice as a child, where I wasn't self aware enough to have still stayed with me.

Reading is extremely difficult, watching movies is hard, listening to music is hard and so is being on the Internet or texting. It's very overwhelming and triggering for my hypergraphia, taking notes - like a psychic force is doing it for me- i don't get a choice. It's odd.

Yes, I am accepting this is how the world is and that it is not the planet designed for how my brain works but every day, mundane little things shouldn't be so difficult. I am just trying to get by but it's hard, because I feel like I'm in a dream. Nothing feels real, just like so out of it - zoned out.

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2014, 12:09 am

In a sense I can relate. Though it's not because of a fragmented perception I suppose. But the title of this topic sounds familiar to how I feel.

But I guess my issue is more related to how we're expesed to technology all the time and how it's becoming such an important part of society. Facebook is everywhere and probably if I didn't go on facebook, I'd actually miss out on stuff, since where else would I find this information? Heck; even clubs in the area don't post their agenda on a website, they just make events through facebook. Facebook has become the word to mouth advertising.

I really don't want to rant about FB alone, but given it's impact... what else is there? lol

And perhaps the idea that everything is going on all at once provides a certain overload. I'm still convinced these developments have played part in things like ADHD and such and how people are not able to focus enough, get stressed out and overloaded. We've opened pandora's box yet we're still on the cusp of it.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Nov 2014, 12:22 am

King_oni wrote:
In a sense I can relate. Though it's not because of a fragmented perception I suppose. But the title of this topic sounds familiar to how I feel.

But I guess my issue is more related to how we're expesed to technology all the time and how it's becoming such an important part of society. Facebook is everywhere and probably if I didn't go on facebook, I'd actually miss out on stuff, since where else would I find this information? Heck; even clubs in the area don't post their agenda on a website, they just make events through facebook. Facebook has become the word to mouth advertising.

I really don't want to rant about FB alone, but given it's impact... what else is there? lol

And perhaps the idea that everything is going on all at once provides a certain overload. I'm still convinced these developments have played part in things like ADHD and such and how people are not able to focus enough, get stressed out and overloaded. We've opened pandora's box yet we're still on the cusp of it.

I have a really hard time processing information, it's a huge glitch.

It will be like this:

I'll be writing a text message, and then I'll say something like urinal and then I'll see all the urinals I've seen in my head like in movie theatre bathrooms. Ok, see right now. it just did it, with "movie theatre bathrooms" and then I'll get excited and obsessed over movie theatre bathrooms.

I sound ret*d. I'm sorry.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 12:33 am

It sounds kind of like what Temple Grandin said about her memory. If someone says "church steeple" she doesn't see a generalized image of a church steeple. She sees a specific image of every church steeple she has ever seen.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 12:36 am

life is WAY more complicated nowadays compared to even the early 2000s. I wanna go back in time, for the most part.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Nov 2014, 1:07 am

dianthus wrote:
It sounds kind of like what Temple Grandin said about her memory. If someone says "church steeple" she doesn't see a generalized image of a church steeple. She sees a specific image of every church steeple she has ever seen.

It's like this, so imagine something gets stopped in the tracks of your thoughts like everything all of a sudden stops, EVERYTHING BLURS out and all you see is that one detail and you obsess over it. Now imagine that happening 95050 times a day, not even being able to listen to music, watching TV, movies, talk, text, be in your own room without some type of detail popping up and having it be filtered through your fictional world AND see the imagine in your head.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Nov 2014, 12:28 pm

auntblabby wrote:
life is WAY more complicated nowadays compared to even the early 2000s. I wanna go back in time, for the most part.

Agreed

NewPlanet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Nov 2014, 2:24 pm

Some days I feel as though technology gets overstimulated by ME. Watches that stay on time while left at home die on my wrist halfway through the day, (then start working again the moment I take it off)

campboy92 wrote:
It will be like this:

I'll be writing a text message, and then I'll say something like urinal and then I'll see all the urinals I've seen in my head like in movie theatre bathrooms. Ok, see right now. it just did it, with "movie theatre bathrooms" and then I'll get excited and obsessed over movie theatre bathrooms.

I sound ret*d. I'm sorry.

You don't sound ret*d at all. We are all so stimulated by a combination of sight and memory. I myself am such a sentimental person that a lot of songs I listen to bring me back to somewhere I was at while listening to them in the past. We put so much weight on the world around us, sometimes it can drive us crazy. I can't help but to remember emotional wounds from a someone when I go somewhere or do something that I did with those particular people.
It's a big reason for me turning to Christ. It's an escape from my carnal mindset of living. I dont even have to do anything, or even change the way I think. It's like my mind and body changes in such a way that it's being done for me.

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. The one who overcomes shall inherit these things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 2:29 pm

Strange ... I can monitor multiple processes on as many screens, yet hearing two or more conversations at once puts me in an anxious state.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 3:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
Strange ... I can monitor multiple processes on as many screens, yet hearing two or more conversations at once puts me in an anxious state.

that makes me curious, what do you think of Robert Altman movies that feature multiple overlapping conversations? I never could follow them unless I went backwards on the DVD and played the sequences back separate times just to catch each individual conversation.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Nov 2014, 3:25 pm

Fnord wrote:

So strange.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 3:28 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Fnord wrote:
that makes me curious, what do you think of Robert Altman movies that feature multiple overlapping conversations? I never could follow them unless I went backwards on the DVD and played the sequences back separate times just to catch each individual conversation.

I usually don't go to movies. Like you, I usually watch movies at home, where I can control the local environment, as well as the DVD player.

There were parts in the "Ironman" movies where the leading man and woman were talking over each others' lines, and it seemed like utter chaos to me. I had to rewind and play those segments several times to follow what was going on.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 3:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
There were parts in the "Ironman" movies where the leading man and woman were talking over each others' lines, and it seemed like utter chaos to me. I had to rewind and play those segments several times to follow what was going on.

do you routinely turn on the English subtitles? I have a hard time following some movies without them on. actors nowadays seem to mumble their lines.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 3:35 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Fnord wrote:
do you routinely turn on the English subtitles? I have a hard time following some movies without them on. actors nowadays seem to mumble their lines.

LOL! I prefer foreign-language movies with English subtitles! I'd rather read the dialog than listen to it!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 3:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Fnord wrote:

LOL! I prefer foreign-language movies with English subtitles! I'd rather read the dialog than listen to it!

I need them for English-language movies in which there is either overlapping dialogue or the actors mumble their lines. the way some actors nowadays speak, it might as well be a foreign language.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Nov 2014, 4:41 pm

odd.