Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 6:31 pm

Can anyone recommend me textbooks on autism, preferably surrounding neurology / neuroscientific basis.

Note: I want a textbook, I hate popular science as popular science books are way too basic. I am a uni student.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 6:36 pm

I have not found good textbooks on autism.
There are non-popsci books on autism, but they are boring and outdated.
I suggest articles on google scholar about autism in neuroscience context.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 6:38 pm

I get free access to research papers through uni so I'll go on a searching spree on autism articles tomorrow.

Thanks.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 6:39 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
Can anyone recommend me textbooks on autism, preferably surrounding neurology / neuroscientific basis.

Note: I want a textbook, I hate popular science as popular science books are way too basic. I am a uni student.

Ok, but textbooks are tertiary sources... Would you prefer primary sources? It isn't too hard to find the original studies of most subjects.
Since you are a Uni Student, you should have full access to most academic journals for free as a student. Find a neurology journal, log into the journal through the university and then search for autism. The library should be able to help you with that.

M.I.T. also has most of their curriculum free online, you could look that up and see if they have a course on it.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 6:42 pm

Yes I do get free access. Primary is best. Thanks for the suggestions. Will look tomorrow. It's late now.

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2014, 10:25 pm

I haven't really found any autism textbooks either. The "textbook" my school uses for our autism class actually isn't a textbook at all, but you still may be interested in reading it anyway. I can't say whether the book is any good or not (though it does have good reviews) as I haven't taken the class yet.

Are there any neuroscience/psychology/neurology professors at your school that you could talk to for more information? If your school is really research and medicine based like mine, they may be able to give you more specific resources. I think that may be your best option.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 6:11 am

Thanks.

I'll see what I can find at my uni in terms of professors. Although not all of them are friendly and open to questions.

I'm going to the uni science library sometime soon so I'll check there. The science library is four large floors full of science books. Really massive and really awesome.