Do you see much reason for or "Love People"?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

BobinPgh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2014, 7:55 am

Once I read a book written by a person with autism (cannot remember it but I will find out), his name was Sean. One thing he said that rang true with me was "I don't see much reason for people or why they are there." Maybe because I have an ASD, I totally agree! Maybe it is because there are so many (7 billion) of us. It seems like I have had to deal with a lot of unnecessary people in my life and "they all need a job".

An example of why I say this is last year me and my sister took me to Walt Disney World for the 1st time in my life (yes, you can enjoy Disney if you have an ASD, that was another thread). Most of the time when we dealt with the "Cast Members" as Disney calls them, was when we would have to buy meals and check into the resort. But most of the entertainment was rides and animatronics and at the parks, there were few live shows but most Cast Members just kind of motioned people along, would it be so bad if they were not there? Its almost as though they could be replaced with animatronics! Although for Disney, Cast Members are probably cheaper. At the time, Disney was also running monorails with no pilots with automatic controls instead and with all the aggravation of people, I would understand if Disney made them all automatic.

The other event was when I went to a therapist (I have been told I need one all my life) who used to be an engineer and I asked him why the change and he stated "I Love People".

Oh, also, I have been called a Misanthrope. I taking it as a compliment!

So do any of you "Love People" or think "People are unique, valuable resources" (makes me want to puke)?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 8:17 am

I do hate the general public. Nobody personally, just people in general when I go out.
Especially this time of the year. I went to do the last of my Christmas shopping yesterday, and I could not concentrate. There were so many people in every shop, and everybody was pushing by and I couldn't even get to the shelves to look for anything. I showed my frustration by sighing a bit but nobody noticed. So I ended up coming home with nothing.

And the traffic is awful too. Mostly on Fridays. I never understand that. There are just as many kids coming out from school on Friday afternoons as there are any other day of the week, and yet there seems to be 10 times the amount of traffic just because its Friday. I'm sitting on the bus, in a queue of traffic thats about 3 miles long, wondering where all these cars come from.

And little kids get on my nerves too. They have no motor skills at all. They're walking along quietly with their parents, then suddenly without warning, they erratically run, usually right into you, and so you got to stop in your tracks and act like you have the patience of a saint when really you just want to scream.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 9:09 am

I think each person exists mostly for his/her own sake. I understand the idea of respecting all human beings equally for the sake of keeping peace (trashes and nasties don't deserve respect though). People contribute to the world in some ways and I think I probably indirectly benefit from other people in some ways. However, that's all they are. Most people don't mean anything to me personally. I surely don't love people. I believe that autistic people have more of that tendency than non-autistic people do.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 9:14 am

Maybe if humans stopped breeding like rats, it'd be easier to appreciate them individually.

I have nothing against individual people, but "people" in general I have no affection.

Lobber
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2014, 9:17 am

I swing from suicidal to genocidal feelings. Fortunately most of the time I don't want to kill anyone. I'm supposed to want to help everyone survive. Sometimes I care about people, and worry about them. Sometimes I don't care. Bi polar issues along with asperger's and being one of Jehovah's Witnesses, which is not a mental disorder, just happes to be my personal convictions.

(")(")
Cuddly Bunny

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 11:34 am

BobinPgh wrote:
One thing he said that rang true with me was "I don't see much reason for people or why they are there." Maybe because I have an ASD, I totally agree! Maybe it is because there are so many (7 billion) of us. It seems like I have had to deal with a lot of unnecessary people in my life and "they all need a job".

This thinking seems deeply illogical to me. Purpose is a human conceptual construct. Things (e.g, a hammer) don't have objective purposes, unless they were designed by intelligent beings for a purpose. If I use a bag of hammers to provide ballast for my skiff, what is their purpose? Purpose is something minds project into the environment.

People have their own purposes and their utility to you is irrelevant to their purposes, just as your utility to them is irrelevant to your purposes.

It could be argued that purpose is derived from the forces acting on DNA, but that gets even farther from the idea that what you want or need from other people has anything to do with purpose.

"They all need a job" makes no sense. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Mostly this has nothing to do with me or you.

None of this has any bearing on being misanthropic. If you don't like people and that is your nature I think you should accept that as a preference and not try to justify it with some rationalization about utility or purpose.

Arbitrarily disliking people in general seems to me as irrational a default mode as arbitrarily liking people in general. I don't have feelings of any kind for people in general. I only have feelings for people I directly encounter or about whom I am given a lot of information. Then my like or dislike of them has more to do with what they do than any generic property of their being human beings.

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2014, 10:14 pm

I don't necessarily like people, but I know that I'm dependent on them for my continued survival and pleasure. I need people to farm the land to grow the food that I eat, to invent and manufacture the toys I play with, all that sort of thing.

I think of people as being like bees. One bee can't do much, just buzz around and hunt for nectar. But get a bunch of bees together and they build nifty little hives and make honey. Humans do something similar, creating beautiful cities and entertaining works of art.

Both species communicate through dancing and irritating sounds, bees with buzzing and humans with small talk. Bees and people both present a clear danger to me, whether they congregate in groups or there is just one.

I can deal with one or two people at a time and go pretty well. For larger groups I'll need a motivation that makes sense to me, like pursuing employment.

Basically, I want to benefit from the existence of other people while avoiding or limiting all interaction with them.

I'm ambivalent on little kids. They can be screamy, obnoxious and terrible. They can also be pretty amusing.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 11:05 pm

I tend to take a very dim view of humanity as a whole, and find it difficult most days to see any use in the human race... simply a destructive force that causes more harm than any other species.
However, I do find individuals who seem to still be capable of decency and with whom I can get along.
I also find I am hopeless at being entirely solitary, so in that sense, I have an unfortunate need of other humans.
But, I am selective of those I connect with.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 11:21 pm

I love people I know superficially. As for everyone else out there on the street, in the store, wherever, I do my best to shut them out. I don't watch the news and don't care about the riot jazz or ISIS or any of it. It's just the latest BS nonsense of humanity to me. A Tsunami hits wherever? Sorry, I really don't care. Stuff happens. More a matter of indifference than dislike of people in general.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2014, 11:32 pm

It depends on what "people" you're talking about. I love my family, of course, and a few close friends. I'm very fond of some people I see often – even the clerks at my favorite hobby shop, although our relationship is a professional one, I think they're decent folks and I'd be sad if anything happened to them.

Over the years I've worked with people of many different ethnicities and backgrounds. Most I've found were all right once you got to know them.

When I look at what a large segment of the population regards as entertainment, or the sort of bounders they vote into public office, it's hard to feel a deep respect for mankind. But then I use my iPhone – what an amazing thing it is! – to listen to a Mozart symphony, or to watch a video from space (!), and I'm reminded of what humans are capable of.

Most of the time I have no problem regarding people in general with benevolence. Still don't like crowds, though. :-?

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2014, 2:00 am

People are not unique as there is no such thing as free will. We are stuck being a slave towards our biology.Hence, I am able to see through this and try to fight against my biology as much as I can. Thus, I see people who are a slave to biology as dogs that are just loyal to there masters and unable to think freely. Therefore, I feel pity for most people as they are too blind to see the truth.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2014, 2:12 am

I kept thinking there was a witty poem on this subject, and now I've remembered. It's Ogden Nash.

My fellow man I do not care for.
I often ask me, what's he there for?

http://www.aenet.org/poems/ognash5.htm

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 5:49 am

Not sure. I don't hate people in general because just as I exist others will too and its not my right to hate or want them dead since earth and the world isn't my property so that I'd choose who can exist in it and who can't. But I do find noises and crowds annoying lol.