Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Feb 2013, 3:14 pm

Is excessive daydreaming common among aspies? I read about "maladaptative daydreaming disorder" and it fits me.

I don´t consider it disorder and I don´t want to be cured of it. That´s what I do while stimming.

Sliceracer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2013, 3:25 pm

teachers often complain to me that I keep "staring into space" for a whole lesson, and because im so quiet they don't notice until they mark mt work and nothing is there. I don't know how common it is but I do this alot

goaway
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Feb 2013, 3:41 pm

I do daydream to, it is so funny! I just start claps my hands and hten waddling back and forth (or sideways) it dosent matter. I'm in my own lil world now, and I like it alot. :roll:

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2013, 3:50 pm

I still daydream a lot. I used to live a lot in my own little imaginary worlds, but I've gotten away from that these last few years and now I'd like to return to that but I guess you can't go back. I'm feeling a bit down and cynical today, so I'd advise staying in your dreamworlds. For me right now, reality bites.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 4:02 pm

i've been daydreaming ever since i can remember myself. cant stop. i live more in my own world than in the real world. when i was seven or nine, i daydreamed once while crossing the road, and almost got run over by my parents friend, and he told my parents and they had a talk with me about daydreaming on the road, so now i limit my daydreaming to home, work when i have nothing to do, sitting on the bus, and walking on the sidewalk only.
in short, much more than fifty percent of the time.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 4:21 pm

I daydream a lot.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 5:42 pm

I have just read about maladaptive daydreaming disorder and learned that it is sometimes a psychological response to trauma or abuse.

I am extremely introverted and have lived most of my life in a state of zoning out, either thinking about things or daydreaming or just staring into space not thinking of anything. I did have a daydream when I was a teenager that was a response to trauma. It was a world I deliberately made up to escape the trauma.

I don't know why that would be considered a disorder or maladaptive when it is actually a natural way to adapt and ease the pain of a trauma. Daydreaming was just the coping mechanism.

I don't know why any kind of daydreaming would be called a disorder. I love zoning out.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 7:16 pm

I daydream a lot. I have an imaginary world and imaginary friends that are more or less my security blanket (figuratively speaking).

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 7:54 pm

I daydream a lot, too - it's my retreat from any environment I've identified as hostile or simply boring.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

spagheddie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2013, 8:11 pm

I cant speak for everyone else, but for me daydreaming is quite excessive. I live my entire life around day dreaming... 95% of my life is on auto-pilot so I can sit back in my head and think.

I daydream all day at work. My work is so routine that no conscious effort is needed to get my work done. I purposely isolate myself from others at work so I don't have to have my thought interrupted. Its like a small portion of my brain separates itself from the part that is used to daydream to the point that I'm barely aware of even doing work...

Whats scary is I daydream while driving... not on purpose... sometimes I get bored waiting for a light to change and I begin daydreaming and sometimes I'm not even aware I began to daydream and I imagine some scenario where the red light changes to green when it really hasn't changed and then I begin pulling through an intersection... Its a wonder I haven't been killed. I try to play my favorite music in the car so I can focus on the details of the music while I drive to keep my imagination from taking over.

People can come up to me and tell me someone just died, and 15 seconds later I'm off daydreaming about something else while they are still talking to me... which probably seems bad, and Im not trying to be disrespectful. I feel bad for the person, but at the same time, its the same conversation I've had with other people who have been through the same thing, so if I'm not putting an effort into staying in the conversation out of respect, I begin tuning out and begin daydreaming.

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2013, 8:15 pm

I is for me.I spent most of elementary,middle and high school off in my own little world.I has gone down alot recently but sometimes whenI get overstimulated a start daydreaming and twisting my hands.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 8:48 pm

hblu1992 wrote:
I is for me.I spent most of elementary,middle and high school off in my own little world.I has gone down alot recently but sometimes whenI get overstimulated a start daydreaming and twisting my hands.

I'm exactly the same, I literally spent most of my childhood and adolescence daydreaming and twisting a string in front of my face and still do so sometimes now. Only now I spend most of my time reading fantasy novels which is just another escape into fantasy like daydreaming. :)

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 12:09 am

Quote:
Whats scary is I daydream while driving... not on purpose... sometimes I get bored waiting for a light to change and I begin daydreaming and sometimes I'm not even aware I began to daydream and I imagine some scenario where the red light changes to green when it really hasn't changed and then I begin pulling through an intersection... Its a wonder I haven't been killed. I try to play my favorite music in the car so I can focus on the details of the music while I drive to keep my imagination from taking over.

Problem is then I just imagine i'm in the band playing guitar or at a concert or something stupid like that, I even appear set the equalizers on the radio to add to the effect, sort of a 1/2 daydream. I like my made up daydream world becouse it always is a pleasure to be in and its always there so I spend 80% of my day there, people at work pity me for my outdoor job, I love it becouse I can escape for 2/3 of the day.

I used to think everyone did this however I do remember once as a young-ish child telling a doctor about this when they asked why I did something and they didn't beleave me one bit, that was pre-asperger diagnosis.

I don't think anyone would have a disorder in daydreaming i thay had Autism or Aspergers as it appears to be a natural trait and therefore the need for another diagnosis would be irrelivent.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 12:09 am

This might be a stupid question (sorry) but how is daydreaming defined? I mean, are you daydreaming only when you use your imagination and think of imaginary worlds etc or could daydreaming also be what I do when I zone out and think about "real life situations", worries or possible conversations I might have with for example psychologists?

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Feb 2013, 5:18 am

Quote:

Well, daydreaming while driving is very dangerous. You can cause accident, you can injure or even kill yourself or someone else. This is what you have to solve -either don´t do it while driving or, when you can´t stop, don´t drive. I don´t drive, I don´t even have a driving license. It´s also because I have visual problems and slight movement problems.

Quote:
I'm exactly the same, I literally spent most of my childhood and adolescence daydreaming and twisting a string in front of my face and still do so sometimes now. Only now I spend most of my time reading fantasy novels which is just another escape into fantasy like daydreaming. Smile

Similar with me. A lot of my "daydreaming" (not sure whether this is a correct word for this) consists of reading books and changing names of the characters. That´s what I do while playing with laces. And during the day I daydream about elementary school where the students are child characters of my favorite books and movies.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 6:01 am

I do nothing but daydream