Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 8:58 pm

I got some leather bracelets as an early christmas present, and I was saying on another forum how much I like the way they smell.

Someone asked me "Are pleasant smells, like the leather in your bracelet, comforting for you when you begin to feel overwhelmed?"

So that's the question to you. And if so what are the most comforting smells to you?

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 9:22 pm

Any smell would be a huge breakthrough in my life. I have anosmia, and although its not 'full anosmia', its severe enough that I need to hold food (that other people can smell from other rooms) up to my nose and then sniff the air in order to smell the food. If I can naturally smell something, either my sense of smell is suddenly here, or the thing I smell is deathly toxic.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 9:37 pm

Burning birthday candles, Vick's, Lego, lavender and pine needles relax me.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 9:44 pm

editing error :mrgreen:

Wreck It Ralph

Last edited by skibum on 20 Dec 2014, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2014, 9:46 pm

Green tea with lemon, rubber, and these candles that my cousins bought me a few years back (I can't place what the scent is, but it's very clean).

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 9:48 pm

There are some smells that I love very much and do bring me comfort. Leather is one of them especially horse tack. I also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the smell of horses themselves and that brings me much comfort. Also the smell of a campfire. I love the smell of the ocean and of rain and of coffee even though I do not like the taste of coffee. When I was very little I loved the smell of gasoline but I don't like it anymore. I also love a lot of essential oil scents. Lavender is calming to me as is neuroli rose. And like Cockney Rebel, Vicks Vapor Rub and pine, yum! :D I also love the smell of orange, cinnamon and cloves. And Dr. Christopher's Cayenne pepper rub! :D And Lush Wicci massage bar! :mrgreen:

Wreck It Ralph

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 9:58 pm

Rubber is a good one. And I've really liked the smell of the sea and rain since we moved to the Puget Sound coast. I also really like the smell of a certain type of plastic that an inflatable pool I had when I was little was made of. Other plastic stuff has that smell too.

Last edited by EzraS on 20 Dec 2014, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 10:02 pm

Most smells I cannot handle, but freshly baked dessert smell, like chocolate cake, is AWESOME.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 10:04 pm

managertina wrote:
Most smells I cannot handle, but freshly baked dessert smell, like chocolate cake, is AWESOME.

Yeah there are many more smells that have a negative effect on me, than ones that I enjoy and will relax me.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 10:13 pm

I like the smell of rain and freshly baked food a lot. Also some guys with a little bit of fragrance on have really nice odour, that is unless they overdo the fragrance.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Dec 2014, 10:27 pm

skibum wrote:
I also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the smell of horses themselves ... And Lush Wicci massage bar! :mrgreen:

All Right! A fellow Lushie! I love so many Lush scents I can't name them all! Wiccy, Rose Jam, Honey I Washed the Kids, The Olive Branch... ah, I could go on & on! Right now I'm super in-love with Tender Is The Night massage bar :heart: I use it as a hand lotion at bedtime & keep sniffing my hands lying in bed reading LOL

Love the way horses smell too! I don't have one or anything, but a friend sometimes brings me out to the country to feed some horses carrots and I find the smell of horses & fresh hay so comforting. I could sit there all day listening to horses eat :heart: Do you have a horse skibum?

I have a collection of essential oils I love: patchouli, clary sage, tangerine, clove, and geranium. Would love to have a bottle of frankincense but it's just not in my budget right now - I find frankincense *so* relaxing.

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 11:00 pm

New books, vanilla, my weighted blanket (different scent), pine, cinnamon, leather...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 12:25 am

Norny wrote:
Also some guys with a little bit of fragrance on have really nice odour, that is unless they overdo the fragrance.

I'll add that the smell of my dad, mom and cousin are very comforting to me. When I'm shutting down or getting ready to meltdown and one of them takes hold of me, I recognize their smell and that often helps me through it. Their voice too, but mainly their smell. If anyone else takes hold of me in that state I usually react badly to it.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 12:32 am

pleasant smells calm me down when bored or frustrated or trying to fall asleep. think I'll put some shampoo near my pillow to fall asleep easier. I always think I will, but always forget...

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 4:38 am

I like the smell of ink, markers, manga papers, water, my hands after I wash them, bread, tea.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 5:51 am

Rain, new books, new clothing, leather... those are the main smells I like (besides food).

- Sherlock Holmes