Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 3:24 pm

Everything has been looking stranger over the past few months. Sounds are deafeningly loud, more so than normal. When there's too much sensory information around me, I end up being drowned in colours, movements, noises, etc. that sometimes I just stand there shaking not knowing where to put my feet.

My coordination is problematic. More so than ever.

I am getting increased fatigue.

Does anyone else relate to this? Any advice?

I might be registered with my local council's sensory impairments team but I have yet to hear whether they take in sensory oversensitivities / sensory "scrambling" (as I call it) leading to extreme distress. I am concerned they may only take reduced sense issues (i.e. blindness, deafness etc).

M. Davis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2015, 12:54 am

I cannot speak of all the scrambling, but I HAVE fixed my own hypersensitivity to sound. I mean FIXED - not just a coping mechanism.

I have a COPING mechanism for my admittedly small hypersensitivity to movement. Part of my sight issue. I do not confuse a coping mechanism with a fix.

I know I am very ... theoretical. That is my strength and my weakness. If you can plough through my posts, get the concepts - and apply them - you might find some help.

The specific for the sound are in two separate posts
viewtopic.php?t=280127
viewtopic.php?t=280123

I find scrambled senses are more debilitating than the ASD part of the equation.
At least from a user perspective.
Which is why I want others to be free of them.

dryope
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2015, 1:47 am

My sensitvities come and go in terms of how strongly I can deal with them. Sometimes it's physically painful to hear loud sounds, even when I'm expecting them. Sometimes I seem to be able to shrug them off. This is also true for other sensitivities.

I don't know why. :(

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 9:30 am

As usual I can relate to all of that. I just had a gargantuan sensory meltdown a few hours ago. Don't know what advice to give over something there's really no control over.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 11:47 am

Thanks all.

I had a meltdown at a major crossroads quite near to where I live. My support worker was with me, which was good, but I remember standing on the pavement freaking out because there was too much to take in.

I am due to see a neurophthalmologist. But the fact of the NHS that it is SLOW and I've been waiting for months.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 11:52 am

There are times where I get really tired if I go to some stores. It's like all the items on the shelves overload my information processing system.

Nevertheless, this seems to be a change from how you were before. Perhaps you want to speak to a doctor?

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 12:01 pm

I am due to see a neurophthalmologist but the NHS (I am in London) is extremely inefficient and slow, so I've been waiting for months.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 12:24 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I am due to see a neurophthalmologist but the NHS (I am in London) is extremely inefficient and slow, so I've been waiting for months.

That sucks.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 12:31 pm

I have a tendency to see things as shapes and colors.