Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ambermoo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2015, 6:23 am

Hi all,

I'm doing some research at the moment on animals in the lives of autistic people for a uni project, and although there's quite a lot in the literature from parents saying how their children respond well to animals, there's hardly anything (that I've managed to find anyway) on the actual views from people with autism. This seems strange to me, as there's loads of theories about animals and autism, but no ones actually asked the people directly! So, I'd like to fill that gap :)

If you'd like to be a part of my research, would you mind telling me your views towards animals? Do you like/dislike them? Are there any ones in particular that you like/dislike? Can you explain why this is? Do you think there's a special healing quality in animals? Animal assisted therapy is becoming quite popular at the moment - has anyone tried it, and if so what did you think of it? If you feel comfortable doing so, would you mind telling me your age and diagnosis with your answers please?

Thanks so much if you choose to reply! If you do reply, please note that by posting your are giving your consent for me to use your comments in my assignment. My research is for academic purposes only, and not for commercial gain. I won't include any personal details so your identity will remain completely anonymous.

Looking forward to hearing your views!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 1:19 pm

I feel that I can trust animals more than I can trust people. A cat won't tell you to stop talking about your interests and a dog won't tell you to be like everybody else your age and gender.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 1:33 pm

I feel that I'm very aliented from animals and that humans are very different from animals and that animals are something different, this might sound cruel but I sometimes think of animals as food only or tools which serve humans.

nomoretears
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2015, 6:14 pm

Self-diagnosis

I generally love animals, especially dogs.
I have a dachshund who I love dearly. I love him so much I would think about rescuing him from a burning building. I'll be very devastated when he dies.

Why do I like him? He's very straightforward and intelligent. He has very little needs and demands outside of food and attention. If he sits and stares at me, I can guess what he wants

a)food
b)attention
c)go outside

If I walk around the neighborhood, sometimes stray dogs will follow me. I guess they can sense that I love dogs.

I'm not really a big fan of cats. I can't say much about dealing with horses, but I do like looking at horses. I've become interested in horses about 15-20 years after my female peers.

I'm a believer in animal assisted therapy although Ive never tried it. They are accepting of me in ways that most humans aren't. A dog accepts my flaws like running around, skipping. Sometimes he looks at my crazy, but I know he won't leave. I'm more affectionate with him than with any human, and I think he's very attuned to me.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 6:18 pm

I prefer animals to people, specifically dogs. They won't judge you and just want to be around you.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 7:58 pm

I will put it this way - About five months ago my dog died. About four months ago one of my very closest friends who I have known most of my life died. I was more broken - more broken by the death of my dog.

- Albert Einstein

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 8:12 pm

I feel more maternal instinct and kinship for/with animals than I do human children.
Adults, I view as threatening, whereas, animals I feel relaxed with. My dog is great for my mental state.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 8:53 pm

I have two turtles. I find I can better relate to them. They are very funny (step on each other, eating, etc), but they are innocent to their own actions.

Even to the people I feel close to, siblings, co-workers, friends, I feel a deeper connection with animals, which I feel only romantic feelings are deeper.

Angel_the_alien
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jan 2015, 11:26 pm

I am a 32-year-old female with Aspergers and ADHD.

I love animals, and I feel like I have a special connection with them. My smaller dog is actually my legal "emotional support animal," and I have a prescription to bring her on public transportation and to let her live in no-pet housing because she helps me so much with my depression and anxiety. She knows when I am getting upset and she comes over and snuggles up to me so I can pet her, or she licks my face, and it helps calm me more than anything else in the world. She has helped me calm down from huge meltdowns, much more quickly than I could calm down when I didn't have her!

I am also in equine therapy, which is helping me more than any of the other therapy I've been in over the years. In equine therapy I get to interact with horses... I don't ride them in this particular type of equine therapy, because it is more like psychotherapy. I am basically talking with a therapist and working on therapy issues, BUT while petting and grooming a horse. It is amazing how much I am able to calm down, focus, and talk, when I am working with a horse instead of sitting on a couch in an office somewhere.

Whenever I go to a new place, I immediately gravitate towards the animals. If I can interact with an animal, I feel much more at ease. When I stayed with my brother for two weeks I got to be with his dogs, chickens and ducks, and when I went to my aunt's house I was with her dog and cat, and it helped me make the transition to new places with very little anxiety. Whenever I have to stay somewhere without any animals, I just do not feel very much at ease.

I hope that helps! Good luck with your study!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 11:33 pm

Any & all organisms are immersed in - and contributors towards a relatively omnipresent bioelectric field. I believe the EM interference from our increasingly advanced societies drives a wedge not only between humans & animals but fellow humans as well. One Google query can send a person thousands of miles to earn a sheet of paper.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 11:46 pm

When I was very small and more autistic, I would hit at dogs and cats that nuzzled or rubbed up against me. Later on I became receptive to them. I've been told animals act more friendly towards me than with others, and that I have a very good rapport with them.

aradesh
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2015, 5:56 am

age 29: self-diagnosed

I really like animals. I appreciate how they don't behave contrary to their feelings. Humans will say one thing when really they're thinking something else, for example "how are you?", "i'm fine thanks!" is the most widespread lie ever. I don't believe animals are capable of that. Also animals won't try to manipulate you or your feelings.

I also find animals much more predictable and less dangerous. Humans will act aggressively and nastily to impress their friends, whereas an animal will only behave aggressively when afraid and behave much more predictably. I have always had a fear of dogs, especially barking ones, since a child, but I have come to be able to find that dogs are generally pretty safe, even if they're barking or seem upset at first.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 12:59 pm

I feel that animals taste fantastic, especially when complimented by the right herbs & sauces. 8)

ambermoo wrote:
If you'd like to be a part of my research, would you mind telling me your views towards animals? Do you like/dislike them? Are there any ones in particular that you like/dislike? Can you explain why this is? Do you think there's a special healing quality in animals? Animal assisted therapy is becoming quite popular at the moment - has anyone tried it, and if so what did you think of it? If you feel comfortable doing so, would you mind telling me your age and diagnosis with your answers please?

I like animals. There aren't really any that I'm totally drawn to in particular. I like various animals from domesticated pets (dogs/cats/fish) to seeing bears/deer/eagles etc in the wild, heck, even hummingbirds and dragon flies. I suppose because I haven't really had many pets in my life and have never developed an obsessive interest in any particular animal. I do believe animals are good for peoples' health/healing and well being - especially cats, as I've read their purrs are at a frequency known to assist with healing broken bones and other ailments. I haven't tried it per say , but I do find it calming/relaxing to spend a bit of time with a friend's cat.

Also, I've found that animals tend to be calm around me. My friend's cats who don't usually like anyone were super calm and nice around me right from the first time I met them. Even wild animals seem to be relaxed around me - it's as if they can sense that I'm not going to harm them. It's particularly obvious when I happen to walk by any of the rabbits in my neighbourhood.. at first they're frantic and breathing heavily, but then their respiration slows and they seem to just calm right down once they sense that I'm not a threat. I think they're more likely to just run away from others. Then there's the peacocks in the neighbourhood.. they're not bothered by anyone - or even cars. They just walk around and strut their stuff like they own the place. Cars have to wait for them.

32, male, self-diagnosed via books & a lifetime of experiences.