I'm just curious, does anyone here have these facial feature

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ylevental
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2015, 1:46 pm

I'm kind of new to autism and I've been doing research. I found that some autistics like myself have unusual facial features which include wide-spaced eyes and a flattened nosebridge.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 2:20 pm

I was very autistic as a young tot. My facial features are "normal."

I knew a profoundly autistic person who never developed speech even in adulthood. He looks "normal," too.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 2:42 pm

I've gone to school for autistic kids my whole life and never noticed any facial similarity like there is in Down Syndrome.

These are my eyes used in a profile pic.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 5:23 pm

Years ago I stumbled up some website in which some lady had posted a notion of her's that aspies have longer narrower faces than NTs- and posted a drawing of her two daughters to demonstrate it- a round faced NT daughter sitting next to her older long faced aspie sister. Have met a couple dozen autism spectrum folks at the local support group- none look like the daughter with the long face-none except one- a young lady who happens to look a LOT like the daughter with the long face. Nobody fits the pattern-except one person who fits it to a tee! .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 6:23 pm

You should look in the "random" section. I believe there are photos within the "Members Only" section and the "Love and Dating" section.

There are many photos of people with Asperger's/autism within various threads. Take a look for yourself.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 8:54 pm

The facial features mentioned in this thread correspond to the neanderthal skull
longer face, eyes further apart

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 8:59 pm

I believe the Neanderthals' facial features were an adaptation to the glacial environment in which they thrived.

In actuality, I hardly ever find much difference in the faces of autistic people and that of NT's. If there is a difference, it's probably not just autism. Quite possibly, it's something which is genetic in nature. Some genetic disorders cause autism, or a close equivalent.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 5:41 am

All these things you hear about facial features and Autism are BS. I know an NT with your facial features you described. It's just the way you look.

My eyes are actually quite close together, and aren't that small but aren't wide. I have a normal nose, and my forehead is normal sized too, not large at all. I have quite a small mouth as well.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 1:43 pm

Not very sure but someone once told me that I looked autistic and when I asked them why they said because of the dark circles around my eyes and my facial expression
Other than that I don't have any feature which are pointed as autistic even my eyes aren't that 'autistic eyeshape' and eyebrows too, people tell me I have arabic eyes and eyebrows, my other facial features aren't 'autistic' like the long face one- my face is oval, nose is kinda long and thin, forehead normal size, I have sharp features while I usually hear most autistics have soft features, but eh I don't think thats a true theory because all would likely look like their parents and most the parents are NTs.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 2:34 pm

Just look at the pictures posted on WP. You'll get your answer that way.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2015, 5:24 pm

Interesting study published yesterday about using 3-D facial imaging to detect autism in young children. Quackery or is there something to it?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 115603.htm

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 7:31 pm

It's certainly not like Down's Syndrome- which has a consistent, and very distinctive look.

The rare condition called "William's Syndrome" - sometimes (rightly, or wrongly) called "the opposite of autism" because the folks who have it are compulsively social-also tends to cause a distinctive look in some facial features (thought its more subtle than Down's Syndrome).

i seriously doubt that autism spectrum folks have a "look" (unless you mean not looking in people's eyes). And like the above poster I also have a high forehead, no beetle brow, close together eyes, (though I do have a barrel chest).

Angel_the_alien
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jan 2015, 11:34 pm

I don't know if this is a scientific fact, but I remember about 10 years ago when I worked at a school with children with autism, another teacher told me there was a theory that people with autism have more symmetrical faces than others. Most people, even though both sides of their face look exactly the same at first glance, have subtle differences, like one eye more deeply set than the other, or one cheekbone a little higher than the other. But according to this theory, people with autism are often almost exactly symmetrical, making them look somehow more visually appealing than other people.

I also know that many people with autism seem to be particularly beautiful... especially children. I haven't noticed that with people with Aspergers syndrome, as much as with people with more classic autism.

- Angel

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 2:11 am

I don't think there are really any common physical features associated with autism. Though the first psychologist who (sort of) diagnosed me asked me what my ancestry was out of curiosity. I told him mainly Danish and English. All of my ancestors, at least that I know of, were from Western Europe. He told me that autism tends to be more common with that kind of ancestry, mainly European. But it's not a rule.

I have blond and almost curly hair, and blue eyes. None of my features are prominent, my eyes seem to be normal distance apart. I look pretty normal, besides my weird hair. If I cut it I'd probably look totally normal, but I like it this length, that way I can play with it.

If anything, I look a bit young for my age. It used to be way worse, when I was 15 I was sometimes mistaken for a 10-year-old -_-

- Sherlock Holmes

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 2:57 pm

Quote:
I don't know if this is a scientific fact, but I remember about 10 years ago when I worked at a school with children with autism, another teacher told me there was a theory that people with autism have more symmetrical faces than others. Most people, even though both sides of their face look exactly the same at first glance, have subtle differences, like one eye more deeply set than the other, or one cheekbone a little higher than the other. But according to this theory, people with autism are often almost exactly symmetrical, making them look somehow more visually appealing than other people.

I thought I read several times on WP in the past that Autistics DON'T have symmetrical facial features, like having one eye slightly different than the other.

This is why I refuse to believe all this stuff about Autistic features because I hear something new or different each time. I was diagnosed with AS in 1998, and I never knew (or read anywhere) that we're supposed to have different facial features.

And I'm interested in this Williams Syndrome. That woman I know who some of you here are aware that I'm fascinated with (and jealous of) brings Williams Syndrome to mind. She is very eccentric but extremely social, and has more customers wanting to always chitchat to her than all the friends the most extraverted popular NT I have met is known to have, and that's saying something. She's known to be rude, snobby, sulky and obnoxious, but still always knows how to lure all these people to her.
She's got odd facial features too, but I don't know what Williams Syndrome people are meant to look like.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2015, 2:48 pm

Ironically, my eyes are just a little bit too close together and I my nose has a little bump xD