Harm and undermining of the self diagnosed on WP

Page 2 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 8:21 pm

B19 wrote:
As you say - in different words - it would be pretty sad for the "hostiles" when or if the day comes that completely reliable biomarkers are established (possibly not so far away, IMO) and they tested negative.. though some denial would then probably kick in (the test was wrong, wrongly administered, biased, only true for some not others etc) - the 100% former confidence in "professionals" that some of that group have previously expressed might rapidly vanish as quick as an eyeblink.

IMO the worst example of WTFness I saw here during the 'wars' was when a member was self-diagnosed, then got a formal diagnosis, then the whole diagnostic process used for that person was picked apart piece by piece without mercy.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 8:24 pm

B19 wrote:
...As you say - in different words - it would be pretty sad for the "hostiles" when or if the day comes that completely reliable biomarkers are established (possibly not so far away, IMO) and they tested negative.. though some denial would then probably kick in (the test was wrong, wrongly administered, biased, only true for some not others etc) - the 100% former confidence in "professionals" that some of that group have previously expressed might rapidly vanish as quick as an eyeblink.

Cystic fibrosis is caused by more than 1,500 genetic mutations which also affect differences in CF severity. Not all such mutations were discovered, researched and validated at the same time, of course. In fact, researchers believe that the final number of mutations might include more. Until then, individuals with CF symptoms and their physicians treat the symptoms as if CF is present despite a lack of diagnostic evidence. Sounds a little like a possible future where all ASD diagnoses are re-examined.

In any case, I sympathize with those with any disease or disorder who were diagnosed at one time, but now aren't and face a rediagnosis.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 8:38 pm

Yes, I share your sympathy.

As for biomarkers, up until recently it has been more or less assumed that these would be a cluster of genes, though biomarkers can take many different forms, and there is speculation that eventually the most reliable biomarkers may be enzymes that are present in different forms from NTs. This speculation has come from some molecular biologists who are examining differences in the way mitochondria et al work in ASD population - the recent developments I have read suggest shifting focus toward basic differences in the working of the whole body
(including the brain as part of the body). It's early days though I think there will be future developments that offer some progress toward diagnostic application and clarity.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 8:40 pm

Raleigh wrote:
B19 wrote:
As you say - in different words - it would be pretty sad for the "hostiles" when or if the day comes that completely reliable biomarkers are established (possibly not so far away, IMO) and they tested negative.. though some denial would then probably kick in (the test was wrong, wrongly administered, biased, only true for some not others etc) - the 100% former confidence in "professionals" that some of that group have previously expressed might rapidly vanish as quick as an eyeblink.

IMO the worst example of WTFness I saw here during the 'wars' was when a member was self-diagnosed, then got a formal diagnosis, then the whole diagnostic process used for that person was picked apart piece by piece without mercy.

Yes, that was a sad and savage event.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 9:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
The "contentiousness" is between those who want to be taken seriously for what may be a perfectly reasonable self-assessment, and those who see no reason to take their word for it without documented proof.

I am not bothered by the self-dignosed posting on WP. I'm more interested in what they have to say than in their status. IRL, I can generally spot someone who is autistic whether they claim to be or not.

B19 wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Yes, that was a sad and savage event.

I remember that - bizarre and irrational behaviour.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 9:07 pm

Private message received #1:

I hope you don't mind me sending a message to say thank you for creating the Harm and undermining of the self diagnosed on WP thread. Although I personally was not attacked based on self-diagnosis, I still believed that I was not welcome due to my status. I still haven't received a formal diagnosis due to financial constraints. I'm not sure if I ever will be able to get assesed at this point. In any case, thank you for reading this.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 9:09 pm

I think its against he rules to post a PM

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 9:19 pm

Thanks... I'll ask a mod to check it out - if it is ok as long as it is done with the foreknowledge of the sender and not in an identifying or discrediting way, for the genuine/stated purposes of this thread topic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 9:41 pm

The fact is: WrongPlanet is an inclusive website. It is not only for the professionally diagnosed. End of story.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2015, 9:46 pm

"I don't want to start a fight or make more people leave wp, but.......here goes a unnecessary post about how awful those people are for stating their opinions when asked for them and how great I am for pointing it out to get people worked up. Now I DEMAND Alex do something." :roll:

I hope he does, I know what I would do if I was in his shoes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 9:53 pm

Alex, in my opinion, should create a "sticky" which explicitly states WrongPlanet's inclusive nature.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2015, 10:12 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Alex, in my opinion, should create a "sticky" which explicitly states WrongPlanet inclusive nature.

That would be ridiculous. Where exactly would that end, with every post being subjected to review before being posted? Yay nanny state! Not to mention the fact that when you say something is inclusive it's bound to exclude someone, no what you guys want is to have no contact with reality.

In reality people have different opinions and ideas, they all don't share your specific set of beliefs or ideas. You can either learn to get along with them, ignore them, or disagree with them politely. You don't get to exclude them from society just, because you don't agree or find them hurtful. Quit playing victims it's getting old. Every freakin person here has said something about something/someone/some group that someone else found reprehensible. It's inclusive to "NTs" should everyone who has made a thread about "NTs" be banned because of their asinine views and exclusive language towards them?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 10:18 pm

That's the whole point of inclusion: that EVERYBODY who has a positive stake in autism is welcome. It would make people feel welcome--pure and simple.

People are entitled to their own opinion. WrongPlanet would have ITS opinion.

If somebody feels excluded because of their diagnostic status, they could look at that policy statement, and conclude that they are not, indeed, excluded.

No post would be subject to "review." All posts will be debated on their merits.

But WP's take on it would be there to "moderate" the proceedings. This is an inclusive website, not just one for the professionally-diagnosed. All are welcome if they want to advance the course of autism.

It would be a simple policy statement, not a "law."

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 15 Jan 2015, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2015, 10:22 pm

that EVERYBODY who has a positive stake in autism is welcome

That bold text is evidence enough that your idea of an "inclusive" policy isn't inclusive.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 10:24 pm

If a person doesn't believe in the inclusive nature of the website, the person would be wrong. But they would still be welcome in the website, provided that they don't personally attack people. Therefore, the inclusive nature of the website remains.

If somebody has an explicitly NEGATIVE stake in autism and the progress of autistic people, then it would be obvious that the person is in the website just to be iconoclastic, just to be provocative. It should be obvious what the Website stands for.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 15 Jan 2015, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2015, 10:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If a person doesn't believe in the inclusive nature of the website, the person would be wrong. But they would still be welcome in the website, provided that they don't personally attack people. Therefore, the inclusive nature of the website remains.

So exactly how it is already? Then why does there need to be a "inclusion" statement?

Last edited by kicker on 15 Jan 2015, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.