Harm and undermining of the self diagnosed on WP

Page 3 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 10:35 pm

In my opinion, most people within WrongPlanet believe in the inclusive nature of the Website.

Those who want to exclude those who are not "officially" diagnosed are in a distinct minority.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 10:37 pm

There doesn't "have" to be an inclusion statement--but I think it would help matters.

That's just my humble opinion.

It would help somebody who is feeling isolated/excluced to feel, instead, included.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 15 Jan 2015, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 10:51 pm

Most people here understand the difference between constructive debate vs bullying/personal attacks/mobbing/sneering/snideness and other destructive behaviours. Respect (or lack of it) follows attitude.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 11:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There doesn't "have" to be an inclusion statement--but I think it would help matters.

It would help somebody who is feeling isolated/excluced to feel, instead, included.

I agree with you. And I see you working hard to make others feel included. It makes WP a better place

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 11:13 pm

Waterfalls wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I agree with you. And I see you working hard to make others feel included. It makes WP a better place

Yes, it does. It's a lot more positive for sure than someone being deliberately obnoxious or doing the strawman dance.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2015, 11:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In my opinion, most people within WrongPlanet believe in the inclusive nature of the Website.

Those who want to exclude those who are not "officially" diagnosed are in a distinct minority

Where have they started a thread to demand exclusion of people not diagnosed? Where have they explicitedly said it?

You know I was against the whole "self diagnosis" is wrong idea for the very same reasons I am against this.

It's asinine to talk about inclusion when looking to exclude someone whether it's a minority or not. It's hypocritical to describe yourself as a victim, when you are in fact deciding to gang up on that minority. In reality, because that is what this is, you learn to get along or you go your separate ways. You don't seek to make someone feel bad or try to intimidate them into being nice to you.

Inclusion doesn't happen automatically or at the wave of a keystroke, it happens by actions. So what if they don't want to play with you, there are others who do. My god, worse than children fighting over one red ball when there are 15 red balls.

Just for the record, I can't believe I have to explain this to a therapist and a psychologist. You both should know better, if it was a teenager I could get it, but you two should be ashamed.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 11:39 pm

Kicker is something wrong? Your post makes no sense, and although you're often caustic, this seems different. Is everything ok?

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2015, 11:51 pm

Waterfalls wrote:
Kicker is something wrong? Your post makes no sense, and although you're often caustic, this seems different. Is everything ok?

How does my post make no sense? What is different is I'm tired of hearing how people think everyone owes it to them to play nice when they can't even do it themselves.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 11:52 pm

I just don't understand why people want to argue about it on WP. This is simply not the place for it at all, in my opinion. Like many people have said already, even if someone isn't making a direct personal attack, when people bring it up it just causes conflict, which can and has made people feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, to the point that some of them left.

Not one good thing has come of bringing it up, not that I've seen anyway. Only unneeded conflict and stress. On top of that, I have not seen any good reasons explaining why it should be discussed here in the first place.

So why do people bring it up?

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 11:54 pm

That doesn't make sense. How am I "ganging up" on a minority? I'm allowed to express my opinion, as you are.

Also: I'm no victim. I'm just expressing my view of it.

You're an okay guy. How did I upset you?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 12:07 am

"Where have they started a thread to demand exclusion of people not diagnosed? Where have they explicitedly said it"?

There were very abusive posts advocating the exclusion of the self-diagnosed in a December thread, particularly offensive versions written by someone who suddenly appeared called Sonically Sensitive, and who seems to have vanished just as quickly, as did the posts, which the mods deleted because they were very abusive. Unfortunately she was not alone and others had their hostile posts deleted too. That's when Alex stepped in to remind people that this is a support site, that personal attacks are unacceptable.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 12:08 am

Where is the line drawn?

Back when I commented on people venting about NTs I was told I was trying to suppress everyone by several people, and some of those same people then went on and argued what I did back then but for self-diagnosis

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 12:13 am

kicker wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Those who want to exclude those who are not "officially" diagnosed are in a distinct minority

Where have they started a thread to demand exclusion of people not diagnosed? Where have they explicitedly said it?

You know I was against the whole "self diagnosis" is wrong idea for the very same reasons I am against this.

It's asinine to talk about inclusion when looking to exclude someone whether it's a minority or not. It's hypocritical to describe yourself as a victim, when you are in fact deciding to gang up on that minority. In reality, because that is what this is, you learn to get along or you go your separate ways. You don't seek to make someone feel bad or try to intimidate them into being nice to you.

Inclusion doesn't happen automatically or at the wave of a keystroke, it happens by actions. So what if they don't want to play with you, there are others who do. My god, worse than children fighting over one red ball when there are 15 red balls.

Just for the record, I can't believe I have to explain this to a therapist and a psychologist. You both should know better, if it was a teenager I could get it, but you two should be ashamed.

kraftiekortie isn't saying that certain people need to be excluded. Anyone is welcome, as long as they follow the rules. There's a reason why there is a "WrongPlanet Rules" thread, so that it is clear what is and isn't acceptable. It isn't acceptable to personally attack or exclude people from the site because they are self-diagnosed. However, this has never been stated officially in the way that the WrongPlanet rules are.

I think he is suggesting that a similar thread to the rules thread should be made, which states that anyone is welcome regardless of their status as self-diagnosed, professionally diagnosed, undiagnosed etc. just so this fact is clear.

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 12:19 am

I'm not advocating "playing nice." I like piquant debates myself. All I'm advocating is inclusion.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 12:20 am

Norny wrote:
Where is the line drawn?

Back when I commented on people venting about NTs I was told I was trying to suppress everyone by several people, and some of those same people then went on and argued what I did back then but for self-diagnosis

For me the line is generally drawn as to whether posters are expressing their opinion out of good will or ill will. Some people are always going to disagree. I know you post from a base of good will. General disagreement is not the issue in this thread though, it's particular focus is about harm done by personal attacks relative to the diagnosis issue in the past and encouraging those were who harmed to give voice to their hurt in a safe space.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 12:34 am

L_Holmes wrote:
I just don't understand why people want to argue about it on WP. This is simply not the place for it at all, in my opinion. Like many people have said already, even if someone isn't making a direct personal attack, when people bring it up it just causes conflict, which can and has made people feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, to the point that some of them left.

Not one good thing has come of bringing it up, not that I've seen anyway. Only unneeded conflict and stress. On top of that, I have not seen any good reasons explaining why it should be discussed here in the first place.

So why do people bring it up?

By 'it' do you mean self-diagnosis? People discuss it because it concerns them, the same reason people discuss any subject, I suppose. People want answers, or the opinions of others. People bring it up here because members of WP have a wide knowledge of the subject and life experience.
It's not a bad subject in itself. There are no good or bad subjects really. I started a self-diagnosed thread once myself and I wasn't attacked at all. Everyone was really nice and supportive.