Harm and undermining of the self diagnosed on WP

Page 4 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 12:51 am

It would be nice if the bullies could be derailed before the damage is done. The 'cute cat' strategy works well. I was 'cute catted' once when I lost it in a thread. :oops: Gosh, I still cringe when I think about it. (Apologies were made btw)

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2015, 12:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
That doesn't make sense. How am I "ganging up" on a minority? I'm allowed to express my opinion, as you are.

Also: I'm no victim. I'm just expressing my view of it.

You're an okay guy. How did I upset you?

(How are you ganging up)
By encouraging this thread.

I had my roommate read this thread, because I accept I may be misinterpreting it. He, without me prompting, stated that it was an attempt to exclude people who don't agree with self diagnosis from an all inclusive site. Which is exactly what I am saying. It's just as wrong as what they did.

To act like your promoting inclusion without declaring the thread to be exclusive in intent is falsifying your intentions. And in my opinion that's just as bad if not worse.

I am sorry if anyone wants to see me as caustic, I've been told I have an annoying knack for seeing through the B.S. and having no qualms with calling it out. If that makes me caustic, so be it, I'd rather not pretend.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:20 am

For example:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:24 am

Buddy, you've totally misinterpreted my intent. I don't have a strong opinion either way pertaining to self-diagnosis.

I thought we were buddies. What are you angry about?

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:24 am

Raleigh wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
I just don't understand why people want to argue about it on WP. This is simply not the place for it at all, in my opinion. Like many people have said already, even if someone isn't making a direct personal attack, when people bring it up it just causes conflict, which can and has made people feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, to the point that some of them left.

Not one good thing has come of bringing it up, not that I've seen anyway. Only unneeded conflict and stress. On top of that, I have not seen any good reasons explaining why it should be discussed here in the first place.

So why do people bring it up?

By 'it' do you mean self-diagnosis? People discuss it because it concerns them, the same reason people discuss any subject, I suppose. People want answers, or the opinions of others. People bring it up here because members of WP have a wide knowledge of the subject and life experience.
It's not a bad subject in itself. There are no good or bad subjects really. I started a self-diagnosed thread once myself and I wasn't attacked at all. Everyone was really nice and supportive.

Yes, that is what I meant. I'm not saying the subject itself should be banned. I don't know, maybe it's partly because I don't entirely understand self-diagnosis, I personally would not be comfortable diagnosing myself with anything really. I never have and I don't think I ever will. But that's just the way I am I guess, I don't think it's an issue of right or wrong.

I think it's more of a problem when it starts becoming a debate rather than a discussion. Not that debates themselves are necessarily bad either. I really just don't understand the point of debates in general. I used to think debates were to convince people one way or the other. But it seems to be extremely rare that someone actually changes their opinion as a result of a debate. They only argue for the sake of arguing, which seems pretty silly.

But it may just be me. People rarely valued my opinion, I was always laughed at and blatantly disrespected in debates, and consistently ganged up on, until I just stopped taking part in them. People said I was being a "know-it-all" no matter how consciously respectful I tried to be. Kids in high school, especially my junior and senior years, would purposely start debates with me taking the opposite view and defending it with illogical statements just to mess with me. I always thought they were being serious. They would laugh at me the whole time, telling me I was stupid. I would usually be extremely frustrated before they finally told me they were "just joking". Now I was "overreacting". I got laughed at and made fun of for it.

So yeah, I don't really enjoy debates. I'm constantly worried that people will do this to me.

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:27 am

What BS?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:29 am

" I don't think it's an issue of right or wrong". (Quote)

I agree, that's not what it's about. It's more about the right of the self-diagnosed to have the same respect as anyone else here, and not be bullied for their status as self-diagnosed people.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:30 am

kicker wrote:
He, without me prompting, stated that it was an attempt to exclude people who don't agree with self diagnosis from an all inclusive site.

Good point - exclusion of those who want to exclude the self-diagnosed. Even if it does upset some members, you cant really ban the topic, it's a legitimate one.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:34 am

It's not about exclusion, it's about safety, equality, respectful dialogue. At no point have I said the topic should be banned. Not once, ever.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:35 am

L_Holmes wrote:
So yeah, I don't really enjoy debates. I'm constantly worried that people will do this to me.

I don't enjoy debates either. I usually stay well out of it. You can't really debate well verbally when you have a wicked stutter anyway. I don't suppose you have any pictures of cute cats you wish to share? :wink:

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:41 am

Please? Can we all just get along?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:41 am

If you read everything I wrote, you wouldn't come to those conclusions. Maybe you just want a stimulating battle?

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:45 am

I don't think the point of this thread is to say, "People who disagree with self-diagnosis should be excluded." That's definitely not what the title says. I don't think anyone ever said that.

I think the point is that it is unacceptable to attack others. Certain actions are unacceptable according to the site rules, and if someone does something against the rules, then they face the risk of being "excluded". Not for their opinion, but for their actions.

It says in the site rules:

Quote:
2. Personal attacks.
This includes insinuation, ridicule and personal insults, regardless of whether direct or indirect. Attacking an opinion, belief or philosophy is acceptable, but attacking the person making the comments is not.

- Sherlock Holmes

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:52 am

It's not easy being an adult autistic. Even less easy if you're near the boundary of self diagnosis.
Adult autism doesn't really exist, you see. So many of us, having survived childhood, fight off the acknowledgement of disability.
These lucky ones, diagnosed since childhood and subjected to remedial activity ever since, can't be expected to know what it feels like.
I'd been self diagnosed for seven years before I made it official.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2015, 2:06 am

I should know better, conversation here is like conversation anywhere else in my opinion. Have a nice evening.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 2:15 am

^ I'm with kicker. I don't think I can take much more of this.