Harm and undermining of the self diagnosed on WP

Page 5 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:59 am

kicker wrote:
Waterfalls wrote:
Kicker is something wrong? Your post makes no sense, and although you're often caustic, this seems different. Is everything ok?

How does my post make no sense? What is different is I'm tired of hearing how people think everyone owes it to them to play nice when they can't even do it themselves.

Well I'm glad you're ok.

But you've accused me in the past of being nasty to you when I had no such intent and I was extremely overwhelmed, I believed I must have done something to you. Now here you are again saying everyone's an idiot . It's like someone yelling fire in a crowded theater just because they felt like seeing everyone run. Your inflammatory language is only explainable by you being upset by something, no one in this thread did anything to you that I saw. If you take responsibility for how you feel instead of making up stories how others are misbehaving, we are generally a pretty nice crew and would support you. Otherwise look at some cat pictures. I would post if I cod figure out how.

BlueYellowBrownGreen
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2015, 7:09 am

I wanted a formal diagnosis because I wasn't sure why I was struggling so much in the NT world. Self-knowledge is important. Instead of asking, "What's wrong with me, you start asking, how can I succeed?" and you stop trying to be someone else (you stay authentic).

How many autistic people are self-diagnosed? Is it common. I think if you read up on autism and you see yourself and you get that 'aha' moment, why not self-diagnose? Some people don't have the opportunity to be clinically diagnosed and some people are probably afraid to even see someone about a diagnosis (it is stressful-the visits, the tests). And there is a cost too unless there is a funding program.

BlueYellowBrownGreen
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2015, 7:22 am

I had autism as a kid but it was denied by my father who wanted me to be athletic and 'normal'. So he'd put me on a bike and try to force me to ride (when I was seven and I couldn't ride a bike yet) and everytime I fell off the bike, he'd kick me in the leg. That was his teaching strategy. And the comments, "smile!" and being told how to look and honestly, I walked around miserable most of the time but I had peace when I was able to escape to the park. Not really knowing anything about autism as I grew up, I grew up walking funny. "Why do you run like that?", "Why do you walk like that?" and me desperately trying to figure out what these peers meant and being told I was a lesbian because I wasn't interested in dating (nothing against lesbians). Being older and told that I was not normal because I wasn't sleeping around or getting drunk, for wanting time to myself. Just my observations. Knowing is helpful.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:44 am

I went through somewhat similar things as a kid.

I was "socialized."

My father was a nice guy; all he wanted to do is teach me. My mother, though, was somewhat of a narcissist. Her main objective in life was not to be embarrassed.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 11:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Alex, in my opinion, should create a "sticky" which explicitly states WrongPlanet's inclusive nature.

Yep, a statement of inclusion would complement the existing rules which are about as good as they should be. I have always considered it a little odd that the Wrong Planet banner includes only its logo but not a defining statement. Why not add such a statement to the banner below the logo which reads something like "Where individuals with autistic disorders and other neurological differences -- whether diagnosed, self-identified or wondering -- are welcome"?

In my marketing career, I learned to make basic statements simple, understandable and easy to find. I really agree with the similarly published Autistic Self Advocacy Network statements http://www.autisticadvocacy.org/policy- ... statements (though they come from a whole page of such statements). Compared to the ASAN statements, the Wrong Planet statement https://www.wrongplanet.net/about-wrong-planet could use a little more definition, in my opinion.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Grommit
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2015, 11:26 am

So is it wrong to just want to understand and identify with the people around you?

What is the point if you are not allowed to express yourself freely.

Say if somebody did not want a diagnosis and did not want to discuss openly is that considered hypercondria?

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2015, 1:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Alex HAS explicitly stated that this is an inclusive website--on a number of occasions.

I'm a bit late responding here, but I wanted to address this comment as I saw similar sentiments repeated throughout the thread.

Saying that the site is inclusive is not a self fulfilling statement. Similarly, adding headers and inclusivity statements to the front page does not actually alter the collective makeup and attitude of the community in any significant way. Making the site inclusive requires work, and consistent and official denouncement or moderation of those who seek to make it exclusive.

I don't think that those who are saying that wrong planet feels exclusive are saying, "we all need to agree that it's inclusive". I think they're saying, "more moderation needs to be taken against those who attempt to exclude others". I think there's a reasoned debate that can be had about whether or not the current level of moderation protects the inclusivity of the site. Certainly those who left the site after the last blowup felt that it didn't, but that's a fine line to walk, and finding the right balance between that and silencing legitimate expression can be difficult. But that's not a debate that can be circumvented simply by saying "Wrong Planet is an inclusive site" over and over again.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 5:01 pm

I get what you mean....but I believe the "inclusivity" should be stated explicitly, so that somebody who feels excluded could read it in the privacy of his/her home--without having to argue with anybody.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 5:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I get what you mean....but I believe the "inclusivity" should be stated explicitly, so that somebody who feels excluded could read it in the privacy of his/her home--without having to argue with anybody.

Idk. I don't think reading an inclusivity statement would make me feel any more included if someone was attacking me. People have attacked me personally on WP and there's already a rule against that, so what difference would a statement make?
Maybe a self-diagnosed support sticky would be more useful.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 5:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I don't see how that would be any comfort at all. What matters is the reality of experience, not the policy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 5:46 pm

Okay....I get what you folks mean.

It doesn't matter to me either way.

I believe it's possible that somebody would benefit from it, though.

I really don't see the harm in it. What harm would it do?

It could, possibly, provide an augmentation to "reality of experience."

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 5:59 pm

I'm not saying don't have an inclusivity statement. Just that I don't think it will change anything in a practical way. It's not in human nature to be inclusive. It's a learned behaviour and some have learnt it better than others.

I really like AspieUtah's statement. It sounds perfect.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:03 pm

It probably won't change anything...but--like you stated--what's the harm?

If one person could be reassured by such a statement, I would feel like the statement served its purpose.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If one person could be reassured by such a statement, I would feel like the statement served its purpose.

That's because you're a beautiful human being. Even if you do have a creepy avatar.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:17 pm

I like your avatar Kraftie!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:20 pm

LOL....we've already taken a vote on it--my avatar stays! :P

And I do believe it's human nature to be inclusive--especially if the inclusivity is productive. And it, most definitely, could be productive.