Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 9:49 pm

OK, turning the tables a bit as it were, but we've virtually all experienced - and hated - NTs giving us the flippant remark/advice "don't over-analyze things so much". When they just don't understand (or refuse to understand) that we lack spontaneous intuition in situations, or "ability to see the big picture". But what about when THEY over-analyze YOU??

Sure, I try to give them a simplified explanation of my clinical challenges, but every now and then there'll be someone who will bombard me with questions, e.g. "What is it with you??? How is it that you seem so smart, but it's like you're not all there when somebody expects you to do X Y Z and it's obvious that's what they meant, I don't get it??? What didn't you get about [insert situation or nuance]??? Why do people have to explain obvious stuff to you?? Why do you have to do things your [inefficient] way all the time??? Why aren't you more flexible?? Was your dad in the military or something?? Are you a Virgo?? You saw the look on so-and-so's face, I was there with you, why do you have to ask me if she was uncomfortable???" etc...etc...

It irritates me to no end to deal with such barrages, it feels like I'm being subject to a Gestapo interrogation. 8O

In such cases, I try my best to remain calm, and simply repeat concisely what I told them about ASD, and they can Google it if they want (I even had a handful of choice sites to succinctly explain it). But, in reality, I'm VERY tempted to throw back the apparent hypocrisy in their face by sarcastically (and rhetorically) asking, "Wait!! Don't you think, you're UM, over-analyzing things?!?!" :wink: Especially since, these interrogating types tend to be the same ones who make the ignorant "don't over-analyze things" remark. Sure, pal, and while you're at it, why don't you tell the blind guy to just read the damn sign on the wall instead of reading braille and making it "complicated" :evil: