"Obsessive", special interests and results in school

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Did you have problems in school because of "special interests"?
Definately yes 27%  27%  [ 10 ]
Yes, but not very large 41%  41%  [ 15 ]
No 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 37

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 7:02 am

Now my "manic" interest about Aspies may impede my projects on studies. Projects are boring and somewhat "senseless" for me by nature (maybe I have AD(H)D?). I DO NOT like to do something which is not pleasant and (or) interesting for me. I am "slow" and suppose that I am less effective in making projects than "normal" students. I am afraid that I will not receive "very good" (but just "good" or even "satisfactory") grade at the end of my MSc studies. Maybe it is some form of negative perfectionism? I am somewhat "clueless" about future job.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 6:32 am

Now my obsession about my mental state appears to be problematic. I may be less interested in school performances n the studies. I have "obsessive worry" that I am not Aspie, autistic, PDDer (the idea that I have just NLD is especially problematic for me). I had such a problematic "thinking abut NLD" few years ago and a psychiatrists prescribed me a psychotropic drug because of my "thinking about NLD".

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 11:17 am

I don't think my obsessions held me back with studying at school. I just lacked focus - even on subjects I enjoyed.

For a while I had an obsessive interest with Spanish. I was really, really obsessed with it, and luckily we done Spanish at school every other week (French one week, Spanish the next). But I still struggled to learn all the words and I couldn't speak sentences in Spanish without sneaking a bit of English in. Then after about a year I lost interest. But I know I'm not very good at learning another language. It just goes in one ear and out the other.

I hated homework. It was so hard to get myself motivated to do it, even if it was a subject I enjoyed, like art. I didn't like to ask my parents for help as I got to a teenager, so I just procrastinated until it was the last minute, then I forced myself to do it. But in year 10 and year 11 we wasn't really set homework in particular. We just were told to use our free time to revise for our upcoming exams. Of course, to me, that wasn't homework, as there was no due date or teacher's expectations. So I didn't do it. I just tried to take in as much stuff as I could during the lessons in school, and hoped that would be enough revision.

My highest grade I got was a C. I got a C in design technology for my creativity of ideas, and a C in English for my good spelling, punctuation and paragraphing. Those two grades I knew I would get, because I am good with thinking up ideas of designing an object, and I've always loved writing stories so that is why my spelling and other writing skills is good. I got low grades in maths and science, and don't ask why I took music as a GCSE either - I failed that exam. I think it was because I thought doing GCSE music involved playing songs on the piano, which I am good at. But all it was about was learning hard words, being able to read music (which I can't), and memorizing lots of other complicated stuff what had no use for me at all. It was like a foreign language to me, and all the other kids in the music class were smart, talented and were likely to go to university and get good jobs. I just felt like a dope.