Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 2:28 pm

What was it like? Have you ever been to a hospital? Describe your experience? Anyone in the hospital as a child in the pediatric word?

I was just in the hospital yesterday for about six hours for throwing up and they gave me an IV an x-ray and a cat scan .

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 2:37 pm

I have. I thought that an IV is like getting blood drawn. The first two seconds is the worst; and not too painful. The weird thing about IVs is that the fluid that they are dripping into your body is usually at room temperature so the area of your body around the IV location gets cold. A lot of doctors and nurses realize this and sometimes offer to wrap a blanket or towel around the location. Removing the IV is the same as placing it, except it is reversed.

My IV from many years ago included some liquid antibiotics. Tugging the IV tree behind me as I went to the nearby bathroom every 10-15 minutes was the worst part. :lol:

BTW, I hope your visit was elective and planned, and not something worse.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 2:42 pm

I am a regular blood donor and had IVs in me from practically birth (I was a very sick baby). The last significant time was when I was in the ER for what I believe was the Norwalk Virus. I was so dehydrated I ended up spending 4 hours just getting fluids in me via IV (I would throw up even water orally I was so sick). Not pleasant but the alternative was FAR worse!

Ironically enough I had one the main (supposedly good) Hospital and one in the crappier one. The supposed crappier one was a FAR better experience by a landslide.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 2:57 pm

I have had one in me while I was in labor both times and when I had to get iron when I was anemic. They do poke you where they will insert it and then they take the needle out and it's not so bad having tubes connected to your skin and having stuff going in your system. I have had my blood drawn too but I don't think that counts as one because it was only a needle.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Feb 2015, 3:06 pm

I had xRays & cat-scans before as a outpatient & it was a pretty simple process; I had an IV in me for the cat-scan. I was in the hospital like 9months ago for surgery to correct a deviated septum; the inside of my nose was crooked & contributing to chronic sinus problems & minor sleep apnea. It was scary but it went fine & I was released abit after I had woken up & was no longer groggy.

Did they find out what was wrong jenisautistic :?: I really hope your doing OK now :heart:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 3:43 pm

Ive been in hospital loads of times, I used to like the way nurses fussed over me after a lifetime of neglect and uninterest from the opposite sex.
First time I was in I was 5, I didn't understand the racism the black nurse showed to me as she twisted my toenails so they hurt as she cut them and said my eyes where evil because they were green, like a snake.
The next hospital I was in a black nurse was so lovely that I wanted her to be my mum.
I hated the smell of the gas though.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 5:33 pm

I was just at the hospital yesterday. I had to get the rest of my teeth pulled because they were really bad. Normally, I don't allow doctors to give me an IV without a sedative or something first. I had a bad experience with an ignorant nurse who wanted to hold me down and put one in. Though yesterday, I did really good with them. They weren't able to give me anything to calm me down, so I had to brave it out instead.

The nurses and what not were so nice to me. They were doing their best to get me to take deep breaths while it went in. It did hurt really badly, but I kept my eyes closed and had my plushies with me. Once it was in, I was fine afterwards without having any meltdowns or outbursts at all.

I did have my tonsils and adenoids taken out when I was about four or five years old. So, I'm pretty sure I was in the pediatric ward for that.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 5:46 pm

Yup, one in each arm. Can't remember what each one was for morphine? Antibiotics?. They left the venflons in for at least a week. I eventualy asked if I could at least have one removed because they were uncomfortable. I still have a scar on my right arm from the one they left in longer. Eventually it became bent out of shape because I was using that arm and I had a bent venflon in my arm. Lovely. Then after that I had to give daily blood samples. I felt like a pin cushion.

The last IV I had they had to put a venflon in the back of my hand because my arm was so messed up from all the needles. That really stung.

My arm stings just thinking about this.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 5:52 pm

I had one when I got a colonoscopy. It was like getting your blood drawn; slight sting for a millisecond and then nothing.

The only issue was that the nurses had a hard time tapping into the vein. It took 3 nurses and many tries. They were nice and polite, but slightly embarrassed by it.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 6:11 pm

jenisautistic wrote:
What was it like? Have you ever been to a hospital? Describe your experience? Anyone in the hospital as a child in the pediatric word?

I was just in the hospital yesterday for about six hours for throwing up and they gave me an IV an x-ray and a cat scan .

I'm sorry you had to go to through that sweetie, and I hope you feel better now. I've had many IV's in my time, and it's never fun.

I was sick with a lot of respiratory problems when I was a child, so I was in the hospital a lot with bronchitis and pneumonia. I had terrible veins as well because I would have to go to the doctor and the hospital a lot. I had blood drawn a lot, and had lots of IV's, so it was very difficult to stick me. My mother was a nurse and was a great shot giver so she usually gave me my shots but she couldn't stick me for blood or IV and I usually screamed and had to be held down for it. Sometimes somebody from anesthesia would have to come in to start my IV, my veins were so bad. It would blow at least daily and have to be moved. Back then, they put it in the crook of the arm and had to tape my arm to a board. I don't know if that was because some of the places were still using metal needles instead of plastic catheters or what, but it was awful. I grew out of the allergies and respiratory stuff and I'm rarely sick like that now, so the last IV I had as an adult was when I was in the hospital for something minor, years ago.

My oldest son has a phobia of them. He has a needle phobia as well. He's always been like that but it got worse as he's gotten older. When I took him to the doctor when he was 16, they needed to draw some blood and he was terrified of the needle in his arm so they said they could stick his finger a lot to get it. They were doing that and another lady walked into the lab with a syringe for someone else and laid it down within his sight to pick up some paperwork and he saw it and fainted and slid right out of the chair lol. I've seen a lot of people faint, but he's the first one I saw turn green first lol.

He had his appendix out when he was 20, and I stayed in the hospital with him overnight. I had quit smoking over a year before and during that time was when I started back. Not because of the worry over the surgery, it was lasered out and he was fine. It was how he acted during the night and the next day. He was worse than a 5 year old lol. There he was, this big, strong, grown man construction worker who I have seen tape up a bad cut at work and just keep working, who climbed on high buildings and did lots of dangerous stuff, but he had an IV and that made him 5 years old again. Because the IV was in his left arm, he couldn't move it. It wasn't anywhere near a wrist or elbow, it was in his hand. He refused to move the arm. We had to build a tent of sheets and tape over the whole thing to hide it, and his hand so he couldn't see it because he threw up when he saw it. Because he couldn't move his left arm, he decided he couldn't move his right either. Not much. He would only move it very gingerly. In his mind, some way or other, that would move the IV which ws taped securely all the way on the other side of him in the other hand. Because of the tent over the IV pole, it couldn't be moved so he couldn't be taken outside to smoke and he really wanted to go out and smoke but also didn't want to be moved. Because he couldn't move his right hand much or get out of the bed (tent thing) I had to hold the bottle for him to try and pee in and I had to feed him and give him sips of water. He was cold, he was hot, his incision hurt, he wanted to smoke, he had to pee, he couldn't pee, he wanted the IV out but they couldn't take it out till he peed, he wanted the channel changed, he wanted to make a phone call, I had to do all that stuff for him and listen to him and explain why he had to have the IV over and over and over. About 7 that evening, I got his cigarettes which he had given me to put in my purse when they took him to surgery from the ER, and went outside and started smoking again. If I didn't I was going to be very ugly to him, very fast. I stayed the night.

By the next afternoon he hadn't peed and they wanted to put in a catheter so his bladder wouldn't burst. They did an ultrasound and saw it was about to. He said no. I said yes. By then the nurses were fed up with him because of how he was acting and he had no other reason to be acting like he did. One nurse told me that if he had developmental problems, they could understand how he was acting, and was I sure he didn't. I almost lied and said he did, but I told the truth that no, he didn't, he was a construction worker and used to getting knocked around on the job, and getting hurt doing stuff and all that. That he lived in his own place with his girlfriend and was usually a normal member of society. I told her just get two docs to sign and put the catheter on in. They said it would take a few minutes so I yelled at him and just "Mama'd" him into giving permission. I actually threatened to not only show him the IV if he didn't I threatened to touch the IV. He consented and that made everything worse. Now, he could not only not move his IV arm, his other arm, but he couldn't move his legs. Bear in mind that he could have easily moved anything, and he knew they would move he had just decided that if he moved them something horrible would happen with the tubes in him. Also, he hadn't had a cigarette in over 24 hours. I got a nurse and we put him in a wheelchair and I took him downstairs. It was like moving a dead body. He gave us no help getting in that chair. We got down to the smoking area, me pushing him in the chair. There was a girl and a couple guys there his age smoking. He was instantly able to move everything. He was fine, just a little appendectomy and he would be going home the next day. He moved, he talked, he joked with them, he was 20 again. I walked inside, called my husband from the pay phone and told him he has 30 minutes to get there because if not I'm leaving him in the smoking area and going home. I was that fed up.

My husband came up there, I went home and my son did fine. They took the catheter out, my husband made him get up and go to the bathroom and try to pee, he peed and came home. His dad didn't put up with him being 5 about everything lol. So, as bad as you hated the IV, be proud that you weren't like him about it, and know that when you are 20 you won't be like that about it. I don't know how he did with the IV's when he had the ankle reconstruction surgery that he needed a couple years later after wandering around my Mother in law's yard in the dark, drunk, and falling in a hole, because he wasn't talking to me then (crazy baby mama didn't like me so he didn't like me) but I see he got through it. I do know that next time he gets sick and has to go to the ER, I will not be going unless it's something serious. His dad or his sister or brother or other sister or somebody I grab walking down the street and pay to do it can take him. I'm not ever dealing with that again lol.

I do hope you feel better, and I hope my true story about my son made you laugh and feel better. It's ok to laugh at that now, even he laughs about it now and it's one of the stories he tells people, and I tell them too. Tummy bugs like that are never fun. Make sure you eat light foods right now and drink water and juice if you can and gatorade or pedialyte. ((hugs))

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 10:38 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Yup, one in each arm. Can't remember what each one was for morphine? Antibiotics?. They left the venflons in for at least a week.

I can't stand those things for more than 5 minutes.
They are extremely stressful to me.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 3:13 am

I've been in the hospital over night. They have to put a splint thing on my arm to make sure I don't mess up the IV or hurt myself with it. The splint bothers me more than the IV. I think they usually have me a little looped to keep me more manageable.

Hope you are doing okay. Cat scans are a drag.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 3:34 am

Yes more times then I can count honestly most of the first 6 years of my life was in and out of hospitals with ovs cTs eeg EKG and so on. Then recently camcer brought all that back, be yay remission :)

I've hurt a lot when they go in,I hate them I cry a lot

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 10:52 am

I've had a few. I don't compare them to getting blood drawn. IVs usually put stuff IN you.

Pain is variable. The bigger the needle + location of injection has a lot to do with it. A skilled nurse will help make it less painful than it needs to be. If they do it right, it's annoying but not painful. If they don't, you can't wait for it to come out.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 12:32 pm

IV's are OK if the nurse putting them in is skilled. Just a jab a first and just mildy uncomfortable after that, if at all.

CT scans are OK. they're quick and the donut you go thru is pretty open.

MRI's are horrible though. Stuck inside a big long tube for as much as 45 minutes while what sounds like a giant banging on an empty oil barrel all around you. have had two MR's in my life and was very glad both times when they were over.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 12:55 pm

I really hate them. They creep me out. I detest having them put in. Which sucks for me because you know how they have to move them around occasionally if a spot goes bad? My spots go bad quick. Ugh. I had a nurse try to move one on me when I was sleeping, hoping I wouldn't notice, because she didn't want to stress me out. I can be a good girl and hold still for them though, which is good. I would have to say that I hate catheters far more though. No. Thank you.