Do you desire social interaction or not...

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Where are you on the spectrum and do you desire social interaction?
Indifferent 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Desire more social interaction 20%  20%  [ 19 ]
Prefer to be alone 26%  26%  [ 25 ]
Are perfectly happy to stick to a small circle say involving a couple close family members/friends 51%  51%  [ 48 ]
Total votes : 95

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2015, 11:51 pm

not really.. then again i've kind of forgotten what it's like..

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Mar 2015, 2:18 am

Sometimes I think I desire social interaction, but once get that interaction I quickly change my mind. Maybe once every 3-4 weeks would be nice, but nothing consistent at least not on a personal level.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 6:36 am

High functioning.

Just close friends, because they sort of 'figured'.
As for others regarding to my past, I get bad experiences. I haven't overcome that (yet or never).

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 2:42 pm

Not sure what my functioning level is. It fluctuates. Some days I feel like I'm brain damaged. Other days I can manage quite well.
As for desiring social interaction, I'm on the 'or not' side of the spectrum.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 3:28 pm

High functioning. Prefer small circles.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 4:03 pm

I've found I get really depressed if I haven't had social interaction with anybody for more than a day or two.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2015, 4:23 pm

Good poll, Sweetleaf.

Sweetleaf wrote:
and where are you on the spectrum...would you call yourself low functioning, high functioning or mid functioning?
High-functioning.

Sweetleaf wrote:
I myself desire more interaction but I fail at it, so doesn't get me very far. So where do you fall?
I'm perfectly happy to have very long stretches without any human contact. Then again, it depends on how you're defining 'social interaction' - does on here (i.e. WP) count as 'interaction'?

I'm sure I've had the same issues as many here i.e. being accused of being pedantic and picky (when most of the time it's simply a case of trying to get through poor grammar etc of what someone's saying to actually find out what they are asking/what they want to know). On top of this, descriptive terms such as cold/unemotional/detached/distant/'in his own world' etc are often used.

Despite not really having the need to interact with others, I do like to occasionally visit my local city (maybe once every month) and just walk amongst people.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 4:29 pm

I'm high-functioning. I don't usually desire social interaction when I'm alone, but I often enjoy it when I have it. But I also need time to be in my own thoughts, and even when I'm with others, I'm off in my own world. I often wish I fit in better.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 4:57 pm

I'm on the fence 24/7...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

WishyTrishy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2015, 5:05 pm

High functioning

I prefer my family and small groups of friends/people I know well.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 5:27 pm

I have no idea what to choose.

I prefer to be alone(I rarely leave my room and I hate when someone distracts me there) yet I am happy when socializing in small circle (not just family/friends, it's about how many, not who, I am fine interacting with 3 people at max no matter who they are) and I look for social interaction when I am outside and bored (I will talk to people at bus stop etc). I guess it doesn't matter to me as long as people don't cause me sensory/information overload. I can have fun whatever there are people around or not. I should have choose "Indifferent" instead of "Are perfectly happy to stick to a small circle say involving a couple close family members/friends"... Too bad I can't change my vote.

I'm high functioning.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 5:55 pm

A few times a month is enough face to face I am always here and at a special interest board

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 8:27 pm

I score about halfway between not autistic and maximum possible for AS on the AQ test, which makes me believe my ASD is of fairly average severity.

I'm comfortable with a small circle of friends and family, and mildy interested in adding a friend or two to the pack, though not so interested as to want to do anything much about it.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 11:15 pm

High-functioning and want more social interaction. I just don't know where I'm going wrong at this point, and neither does anyone I talk to. I've shown e-mails that were ignored despite being invited in-person to NTs and they couldn't find anything wrong with them. No one complains about the way I act, so I don't have any cues there, either.

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2015, 1:12 am

I like being around my family and, in general, if we were the last people on earth I'd be quite content. Every so often though I think it would be nice to have a friend I could talk to...about my interests, of course.

Gzac95
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2015, 2:34 am

I am not diagnosed, as I don't want that to be on record, however I strongly suspect I am on the spectrum. Anyone who knows me, would say I was high functioning, far above average intelligence.

As for the question. I don't care to socialize much. In my opinion, few people have anything to offer me, and I have very little to offer them. So I believe it will be better if I just keep to myself. Although I occasionally do get a desire to socialize, usually 30 minutes into the gathering I'm ready to be home and alone.

I do have a live in girlfriend, although she and I are often in different rooms, as I prefer to be alone most of the time. Again because while I love her, I don't need to be there all the time. I can only do so much for her, and if she needs me she'll come get me.