Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2006, 12:52 pm

I have read that fatty-acids etc Omiga-3 help can help with Autism, Aspergers and ADHD. Has anyone tried it and does it only work with Children

psych
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2006, 1:23 pm

I think just about everyone in the west has a defiency of n-3 fatty acids, so id expect benefits across the entire population - children and adults alike.

Flax or hemp seed would be a good source so as to avoid the elevated methyl-mercury in fish. With plant based n-3's the body performs the conversion into EPA & DHA itself, whereas oily fish already contain EPA & DHA. Thats another possible reason not to eat loads of oily fish, because too much EPA & DHA can lead to problems (blood thinning iirc)

In fact a fat ratio too high in 'good' fats can lead to heart lesions, as it lacks the protective effect of the 'bad' saturated fats - i wouldnt worry about that though - the average person consumes ample saturated fats anyway.

If you buy flax in bulk and grind it up yourself in an electric grinder (its too hard to eat raw) it costs almost nothing - a few $'s spent on a few kilos would see you right through the year.

www.pubmed.com

theres some interesting abstracts if you search for 'omega-3 autism' etc, but ive not got time atm.

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2006, 3:43 pm

Quote:
I have read that fatty-acids etc Omiga-3 help can help with Autism, Aspergers and ADHD. Has anyone tried it and does it only work with Children

In what way does it help? Did it say anything about that?

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2006, 5:59 pm

Psych's pretty much summed it up.

They primarily recomend it for anyone with any kind of neurological or mental health issue (with mental health its both preventative and beneficial) now as a recomened intake in your diet. Me personally I take a daily mix of flax oil with omega 3,6 and 9 in it so its all very good for the body both the heart, circulation and the brain as well. It helps concentration and brain functions apparently as well

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2006, 7:37 pm

I was on EyeQ for a long while,but find the only thing it did was make me think more positively,had no effect on anything else,gave it up as the cost didn't warrant the benefits.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

psych
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2006, 7:43 pm

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 1:49 am

Thank you, I read enough about flax and have decided that I need it even if I don't have Aspergers

Silver_Shadow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2006, 4:37 pm

Hi there, i started a topic up about Cod Liver Oil and AS not so long ago, you can view it here, the replies i got might help you get the answers you want:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/asperger.htm ... ic&t=11412

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 8:00 pm

EFAs often help children with apraxia which can be often co-morbid with Autism and ADHD. It seems there is sometimes an inbalance of EFAs in the brain of those with Apraxia that doesn't help with articulation/speech production. In those with ADHD it supposedly lessens hyperactivity and increases focus.

Jerick
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2006, 8:43 pm

Kingdom, i have eyeQ too and its doing ok with me cause i can set higher bars in reading things and i can comprehend things better a little faster, and i can skim read a lot faster... idk i just see that in the results, but i dint feel like i am reading faster either... well have you tried those techniques that help maintain the reading speed??? oh yah and i think the flax thing might work. (hush hush, but i got it for the opposite of not free)

hellznrg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2006, 1:05 am

salmon has extremely low levels of mercury and everyone should eat tons of it every day..! i frequently buy a fillet steak and grill it on my george foreman grill... i'm used to eating it without adding spices/etc... it's very healthy for you...

the low levels of mercury are due to the short lifespan of the fish...! avoid all other kinds of fish... tilapia also has low levels of mercury, but it doesn't taste as good as salmon..!

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2006, 5:15 pm

I always had problems with grinding or otherwise cracking the husks on flax; I tried a liquidiser and a coffee grinder with no success, and though my herb-chopper kind of works, it's a messy, difficult business with the seeds going flying everywhere. Salmon, also, is way beyond my price range, so I rely mostly on cod liver oil these days; I use the unstrengthened liquid so I get the greatest fat:vitamin A ratio, allowing me to take more oil than pills would allow without risking problems from the vitamin A.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2006, 6:10 pm

hellznrg wrote:
salmon has extremely low levels of mercury and everyone should eat tons of it every day..! ...

the problem with that is after the first couple of days it would probably become extinct!

I eat loads of fish, but mostly stick to Coley (not an n-3 source) which im told is a relatively sustainable species.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2006, 6:20 pm

PeterMacKenzie wrote:
I always had problems with grinding or otherwise cracking the husks on flax; I tried a liquidiser and a coffee grinder with no success, and though my herb-chopper kind of works, it's a messy, difficult business with the seeds going flying everywhere. Salmon, also, is way beyond my price range, so I rely mostly on cod liver oil these days; I use the unstrengthened liquid so I get the greatest fat:vitamin A ratio, allowing me to take more oil than pills would allow without risking problems from the vitamin A.

http://shop.247electrical.co.uk/Coffee- ... inder.html

I use one of these. It runs off the mains and has a lid so theres no mess - the only problem ive had is the blades arent easily removable (as advertised) which makes cleaning it a pain. Ive been running cereal through it to 'clean' it. This might just be a fault with my one (or maybe im just not applying enough force)