World Autism Awareness Day 2015 photos

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

abitclueless
Raven
Raven

08 Apr 2015, 4:34 pm

Hello

Please feel free to share your World Autism Awareness Day photos here. :D Mine only exist on my computer & smartphone so I've posted a similar one. It's of Belfast City Hall, which is about 10 miles from where I live, in Northern Ireland - UK.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 4:27 am

Light it Up Blue is promoted by Autism Speaks, and this is part of its campaign to wipe autism (and autists) off the planet, your photo symbolises something repugnant to many of us here. The alternative is to Walk in Red, for autism acceptance, which I support.

abitclueless
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2015, 1:11 pm

I disagree completely but I don't want to get into a multi-post argument. From what I know the "Light it up blue" campaign is all about raising awareness & discouraging negative attitudes towards Autism by providing, (medical), information, dispelling myths & promoting the positive things about autistic people so that more and more neurotypicals are patient & supportive towards them. If you think about it, why would so many people take part globally including many famous buildings around the world if the goals of the campaign were to do bad things? As I said though, I don't want to get into an argument.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 5:48 pm

Nor do I. We can agree to totally disagree.

May I suggest in any case that you check out the "I AM AUTISM" video on You-tube which Autism Speaks financed, and used at one of their public events to recruit new members to their organisation.

abitclueless
Raven
Raven

10 Apr 2015, 2:22 pm

OK. Whether or not we have a positive or negative opinion on something depends on our interpretation of it. So, you interpreted the video negatively & so you have a negative view on it but I could interpret it completely differently & so still have a positive opinion of it. Different interpretations lead to different opinions & different opinions sometimes lead to disagreements, arguments etc., which I'm glad we both want to avoid. :) As we can't control our interpretation of something, arguments based on interpretation are never our fault, i.e it's not your fault.

Something's telling me that that's patronizing but it's just what came into my head. I'm just a deep thinker.