Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 1:32 pm

So, as the title implies, I've had my autism diagnosis for one year today. I've been thinking back on the past year, and about the things my diagnosis has brought me that I hadn't anticipated when I got it. It's been a big help at work in explaining why some things are hard for me, and enabled my supervisor and co-workers to give me the leeway I need when it comes to things like switching up the daily routine or having strangers in to observe our work or teach us new things. It's also been helpful in getting me the help I need at school. I now have academic accommodations that allow me to take my exams in my own quiet room with plenty of time to slow down and think about my responses. Even my family has been more receptive to my needs ever since my suspicions were confirmed. My mother is more patient about explaining upcoming changes in routine, she doesn't get angry when I have meltdowns anymore (although to be fair, she is still sometimes the cause of them), even my sister has gotten better about being aware of my sensory problems, and she tells me ahead of time what sorts of things I should and shouldn't say when her friends come over so I don't embarrass everyone. I just wanted to take a minute and say that I'm very grateful that I was able to get my diagnosis; it was a long road in coming, and a lot of hard work, but entirely worth the effort.

What about the rest of you? What are you grateful for today? It could involve your autism, your diagnosis, or nothing specific. I just want to spread the good feelings on my anniversary :)

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

abitclueless
Raven
Raven

10 Apr 2015, 5:08 pm

Hello StarTrekker

I'm glad your diagnosis has led to positive changes in your life. :) It's just the way it is in the world, you need an official diagnosis before you're entitled to support, I presume that it's to avoid other people making claims that you're being treated more favourably than them.

I can't think of anything relating to today specifically but due to my diagnosis I was accepted into the Cedar Foundation & all of a sudden I was doing part-time college courses, which Cedar paid for, they even paid for the transport! Then, just before leaving the main part of the Cedar Foundation, I joined their Social Networking scheme, the funding for which has unfortunately run out recently, & then I was being invited to a night-out once a month & once I settled in, I really enjoyed them! I mentioned that the funding has run out recently but hopefully we'll still meet up & it'll go from strength to strength!

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 5:33 pm

Congratulations! :D

I think, I just had my two years anniversary.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 5:38 pm

I wish I knew the date of my diagnosis; it was over 50 years ago!

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 6:00 pm

Thanks for the replies guys :) Happy approximate anniversary Jensen! Wow Kraftie, 50 years is a long time! I'll be 71 by the time I've been diagnosed that long! That's really cool that you were able to find that program Clueless, I hope the funding for it picks up again soon, such things can be very helpful to we spectrumites :)

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2015, 6:16 pm

Congratulations on your anniversary, and for using it as an impetus for change. I've been diagnosed for seven years and it took me some time to get used to, but I am now, and it's been overwhelmingly positive. I'm still going to run into people who don't understand me, but I understand myself, and that's the part I'm thankful for! I no longer feel so lost and alone.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 7:31 pm

Happy anniversary. Remembering back on my first anniversary it was a pretty emotional day.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 8:32 pm

Happy anniversary. My 2nd anniversary is coming up later this month (April 22nd). What a strange trip it's been.

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 9:45 pm

Happy anniversary! Looking back after a year, has much changed for you as an individual on the spectrum? I am almost to my one year anniversary and I've found that I have a desire to embrace who I used to be before the world demanded I be neurotypical. Wonder if that's normal? Hmm.... Anyway glad for you on this momentous day!

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 12:38 am

Thanks everyone :D, your well-wishes are much appreciated! Nyxjord, I do feel like I've changed in the past year; I feel far more comfortable letting myself be who I need to be without being concerned that others will think I'm strange, and I know now that I was never just manipulating my symptoms to match my (then) self-diagnosis, which had been a worry of mine for a while. I also know how to take better care of myself aspie-style: I know what impending shutdown and meltdown feel like, and I know what I have to do to prevent things from boiling over. I can ask for what I want or need without feeling like I'm just using "made up, self-identified symptoms" as an excuse, and I feel more secure and confident in myself, knowing that if anyone asks me things like, "Why are you flapping like that? Why won't you look at me? Why don't you want to come out with us?" I'll be able to tell them definitively why.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 3:47 am

Oh, I thought it was the WP-anniversary... Then I´ll have my second in September, I think.

Yeah, it´s a strange journey, - but somehow a happy one - away from confused identity and wrong labels, - and a pretty long one, because "the sweater has to be knitted anew, loop by loop", as expressed by someone in here.