Counseling and/or support groups for Aspergers in Rochester

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ruska2465
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 May 2011, 3:20 pm

There seems to be plenty of help for children and teens when it comes to aspergers. But when I've tried to get help on my own, there is almost nothing out there, other than general counseling and therapy.

So Im looking to see if there are any specific counselors or support groups for people with aspergers. Im looking for adult support. I live in Rochester NY, (5+ hours west of NYC).

Ive only met one other person who specifically has the condition, and that was almost 15 years ago. It be nice to have a conversation with others who have gone through the same problems.

yellow-eyeballs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2011, 3:42 pm

I live in the same city and have never heard about anything of the sort.
Then again, I am 20 and have spent the better part of my teen years trying to distance myself from my aspie-ness. :roll:

Ruska2465
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 May 2011, 4:03 pm

I wouldnt distance yourself too much man. Im only 30 and I can tell you from experience that personal problems will surface in a relationship whether you want them too or not.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 4:20 pm

I live about 45 minutes West of Rochester. Nuthin out this way either.

yellow-eyeballs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2011, 4:38 pm

Ruska2465 wrote:
I wouldnt distance yourself too much man. Im only 30 and I can tell you from experience that personal problems will surface in a relationship whether you want them too or not.

Ugh, don't I know it. :|

I wish I or someone else could start a support/self-advocacy group here. I've only recently started becoming more aware of my identity/situation as an autistic adult, and I have to tell you, it's discouraging and terrifying to think about sometimes. :(

Have you heard of the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network? I notice that there is no chapter of that in this area...

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 7:50 pm

I'm in the general Rochester area too, and I'm really annoyed that there isn't any groups around here. I've only just met a few other aspies (I actually go to college with them!) and a couple of us are talking about living in a very NT world.

yellow-eyeballs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 May 2011, 9:48 am

musicislife wrote:
I'm in the general Rochester area too, and I'm really annoyed that there isn't any groups around here. I've only just met a few other aspies (I actually go to college with them!) and a couple of us are talking about living in a very NT world.

I also go to college in the city, though I've never met any other aspies here (I usually keep to myself most of the time). I did know at least a couple back in high school through choirs, though.

Dirty_Diamonds
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2011, 1:11 pm

I'm from Elmira, and I haven't heard of anything here.

Ruska2465
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 May 2011, 1:58 pm

Yeah, Buffalo has (had?) an autism center of some sort. But when I went there, probably 15 years ago, it was more for people with severe disabilities. I really dont feel like driving back and forth anyway.

Id be happy with a meetup of some sort, but im looking for people closer to my age. No offense to anyone here.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 2:39 pm

Ruska2465 wrote:
Yeah, Buffalo has (had?) an autism center of some sort. But when I went there, probably 15 years ago, it was more for people with severe disabilities. I really dont feel like driving back and forth anyway.

Id be happy with a meetup of some sort, but im looking for people closer to my age. No offense to anyone here.

Autistic Services in Buffalo runs a monthly meeting. I've gone a few times. It's not really a support group as much as a social gathering. It's the only one I've found. Considering there are roughly 1/100 people on the spectrum, it strikes me as odd that out of the 20,000+ ASD people in Western New York that there isn't more available. Genesee County alone should have over 500 autistics. I've not met a single one. Of course that might have something to do with my inept socialization :wink:

eddie1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 May 2011, 4:15 pm

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 4:57 pm

eddie1 wrote:
http://www.meetup.com/Square-Pegs-Asperger-s-Support-Group/

I have not yet gone to this.

Too far away from my work. Can't make it from Buffalo to Rochester and get there by 7:00 :(

yellow-eyeballs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2011, 12:41 pm

eddie1 wrote:
http://www.meetup.com/Square-Pegs-Asperger-s-Support-Group/

I have not yet gone to this.

I'll definitely look into this.

Driverfound
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Feb 2012, 11:03 am

I'm in Rochester, too! I might be interested in that group, if it is still around. I will definitely have to look into it. Thanks!

As for what Ruska2465 said: "I wouldnt distance yourself too much man. Im only 30 and I can tell you from experience that personal problems will surface in a relationship whether you want them too or not." I agree entirely...it is sound advice. I have made tried masking the outward "symptoms" if you will, but when it comes to a relationship, it all comes to the surface, sometimes in more ways than I can handle.

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 8:30 pm

I know about the Meetup group, but I'm not comfortable joining an official f2f club before getting properly assessed and diagnosed, just in case I turn out to be mistaken about myself.

I know of at least one openly Aspie person who participates in a historical recreation group that I'm involved with and one person I suspect is an Aspie or autie but that I haven't discussed it with. I'm also newly open with people there about my struggle to get properly assessed. I've found it to be a very diverse, accepting group, full of people who are unusual to the mainstream in all sorts of ways, so I've found support there. Lot's of people at least know what autism and Asperger's are, and many know people on the spectrum.

If aspects of the Middle Ages are of interest to you, or if you think they could be, you might want to check out the SCA. It's an international organization, so it's very large and puts on events of varying sizes - some huge, some tiny, many in between. You can pick and choose which events, practices, and meetings to attend, based on your interests and ability to cope with the various environments. You only need to get as involved as you want to, and you can drop in and out of most things as you like, based on how you feel at any given time. There are enough people that, if you like, you can just hang out with the social circle or individuals of your choosing within the larger group, and you can change who you're with if things don't work out with the people you start with. Some local SCA chapters are easier to be in than others, due to whether or not there are certain kinds of political issues going on, but it's also possible to steer pretty clear of most politics, if you're a little careful. Ours, Barony of Thescorre, is not perfect. But we do all right, and I've steered clear of most politics for the more than ten years that I've been involved.

My girlfriend and I joined the SCA together. We each have our own reasons for having social issues, so we help each other out. If anyone in the area would like to try out the SCA, pm me, and I'll be happy to give you info and help you decide which activities you might be comfortable trying out. I'm not online every day, but I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can, even if a couple of days have to go by. The SCA isn't going to disappear in that time frame, so don't worry what you might miss if it takes a little while to get connected and make decisions about what to try. What matters is introducing you to something fun, in a safe place, that's at your comfort level. I'd even be willing to attend a practice I wouldn't normally go to, if it would help you to know you'd be there with someone you've had prior contact with.

As for distancing yourself from your Aspie-ness, my distancing has not been by my own choice. I was unaware I might be on the spectrum until last summer or so, and, by then, it had almost ruined my relationship. We still don't have confirmation I'm on the spectrum, but acting "as if" has, it seems, pretty much saved us from breaking up. We both understand each other much better, and I think this will continue to improve as I learn more about myself and share it with her. I'm much more kind and reasonable towards myself, and she's more at ease with me as a result. Plus, having had the mystery of my reactions to certain things resolved, we function much better as a couple.

Just be yourself. You'll be a lot better off that way, whether you wind up in a relationship or not. It's simply a more rational and practical, less painful way to live in general.

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

Nadia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jul 2013, 9:41 am

google square pegs rochester ny

for
support group in rochester ny