Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

purplecloud
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jun 2020, 5:19 pm

I've heard some autistic people mention that they skipped the crawling stage as a child and that it could actually be a sign of autism. I too skipped that stage and I shuffled on my bum instead and then went straight to walking (though once in a while I would crawl after I learned to walk lol).

Now I'm curious to see if any of you skipped the crawling stage as well?

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 5:47 pm

purplecloud wrote:
I've heard some autistic people mention that they skipped the crawling stage as a child and that it could actually be a sign of autism. I too skipped that stage and I shuffled on my bum instead and then went straight to walking (though once in a while I would crawl after I learned to walk lol).

We did use roller seats for our kids. Both are NTs and skipped the crawling stage and did walk with about 11 months because they did lern to use their feets that way. For this I guess it's rather related to the way you care for the kids.

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jun 2020, 6:20 pm

What, really?! LOL I did that too. My family was shocked when I suddenly stood up and started walking.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 10:18 pm

I crawled before I walked when I was a baby, but my (NT) brother did the bum-shuffling thing.

#palestinianlivesmatter

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 1:18 am

My aspie son crawled a bit, but he was very quick to learn to walk, up on his feet by 10 months or so.
As a toddler I had to use those reins on him to stop him running off because he would suddenly bolt. Reins for kids seem to be frowned on nowadays, like you're treating your kid as a pet, maybe? But they worked well for us.
Whereas my NT daughter made me carry her everywhere.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 2:58 am

I didn't, but me and none of my siblings never moved on all fours. We went straight from crawling to walking.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 7:15 am

I didn't skip the crawling stage, and I've never heard of it being linked to autism. It depends on the baby.

I learnt to crawl when I was 8 or 9 months, then I started to walk at 11 months.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 7:39 am

I've heard of that theory. My mom says I crawled. My ASD-like child skipped it. Her ASD playmate would crawl all around her while she sat (then walked). So we're 2 for 3 crawling in that small sample. Ironically at age 8, my daughter likes that I introduced "crawl tag" (with the above theory in mind): we crawl in carpeted areas, but can stand up and run in uncarpeted areas of the house.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 12:57 pm

Many NT kids also “skip” the crawling stage,

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 1:00 pm

Yeah, one of my sisters skipped crawling: she’s definitely not AS.

losingit1973
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2020, 1:25 pm

My mother says that I crawled for a week then walked at 7 months.

AQ 42

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2023, 7:50 pm

I skipped crawling. My mom said I rose on hands and feet then gave that up and grabbed nearby objects to pull myself upright, then steadied myself on said things while I moved around on my feet. Eventually let go an walked.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 9:04 pm

purplecloud wrote:

Interesting. I didn't but a few of my brother's children did I think. One of them didn't talk until she was five or older but she was so intelligent with her facial movements and signs that it was not actually noticeable until one realised that she communicated everything without saying a single word! She is now older and She had therapy lessons at age five or six and learned how to speak.
I am certain she gets shutdowns similar to how I get them but my Brother (Her Dad) does not believe me. I will be seeing them soon so if I can remember I can ask.
But at least one child (Either my youngest brother but think it was at least one of my other brothers children didn't crawl at all and shuffled upright on their bum! Think two may have done that. He has a few children and is a Grandad. I wanna be a Grandad!) :D

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 15 Dec 2023, 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 9:28 pm

I crawled as a baby. I started walking at the age of 15 months.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 2:03 pm

To the best of my knowledge, I never crawled and I started to walk not earlier than when I was 1.5 y/o :)