Autistic army recruit is home, recruiter removed from duty

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 2:33 am

Army Times

Quote:
An Army recruit who had an autism diagnosis and anxiety medication prescription but was still sent to basic training, possibly against Army policy, has been returned home, while his recruiter has been removed from duty pending the final outcome of an investigation.

U.S. Army Recruiting Command confirmed that officials are conducting an investigation into whether the recruiter encouraged the recruit to conceal his autism diagnosis, which is considered high functioning, prior to arriving at Fort Jackson, South Carolina, on Aug. 20.

The day after the original Army Times story was published, a letter was sent from Fort Jackson’s reception battalion to Rep. Mike Simpson, R-ID, stating that the 19-year-old recruit, Garrison Horsley, was receiving an administrative separation.

Horsley’s father confirmed that his son has been returned to their hometown in Idaho, but does not intend to conduct any further interviews.

Army applicants with autism spectrum disorders are automatically disqualified, per Defense Department accession policy, though sometimes medical enlistment waivers are granted after a visit to a DoD behavioral health consultant, according to Lisa Ferguson, the chief spokeswoman for the service’s recruiting command.

“All waivers are considered on a case-by-case basis, but generally speaking, autism isn’t something normally waived if the diagnosis was appropriately given,” Ferguson previously told Army Times.

Horsley omitted his autism diagnosis and anxiety medication prescription during the enlistment process. But in a phone call with Army Times, he said that this is what his recruiter instructed him to do. The recruiter advised him that the more boxes you check, the more reasons you’re giving the Army to reject you, Horsley said.

Horsley also provided screenshots of text messages that appear to show him warning his recruiter that he was previously turned away from Navy recruiters because of his autism diagnosis.

“Recruiters are trained to prevent the disclosure of personally identifiable information," Kelli Bland, USAREC public affairs director, said. "This means having conversations about an applicant’s personal history over the phone or in person rather than over unsecure channels, such as texting and social media.”

An Aug. 30 memo signed by Horsley’s primary care physician and obtained by Army Times stated that the young man was being treated for a mild episode of recurrent depressive disorder, in addition to the autism diagnosis, as part of his current medical issues before shipping to basic training.

Horsley said in his phone interview that he was also supposed to be taking a prescription for daily 20mg doses of Citalopram, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, or SSRI.

Those medications may be taken for a range of issues, including anxiety, migraine prevention and even pelvic pain. Enlistment waivers can be considered on a case-by-case basis, depending on the condition being treated, Ferguson said.

However, DoD policy states that depressive disorder symptoms and treatment within the last 36 months are disqualifying.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 3:46 am

military much more picky than when i was in.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 7:51 pm

Not everyone with autism has a diagnosis

Not until I was 21 did I get diagnosed

And I had to hire a psychiatrist (500 bucks, San Diego 2003)

UCSD would not take diagnoses from Kaiser or UCSD psychologist

s**t

There was no systematic method of diagnosis

Many doctors and counselors, over and over, asked Mandated reporter, depression, bipolar, schizophrenia screening questions

Not once did anyone ask autism screening questions

Even though autism is just like schizophrenia

Some countries require (drafting) or allow autistic recruits to join the military

The United States has autism as a disqualifier at MEPS, except with a waiver

However, plenty of people are autistic. Plenty of people are in the military. Some autistics are in the military. Venn diagram

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 9:52 pm

...There a some here (American) of a certain age who did military time, to at least adequate satisfaction - (I was not in the military) - Aspergers'/" our " kind of ASD wasn't really known then/a name.
I've seen it stated on - Military.Com? - that discovered Aspergers' /ASD is an instant no-no for enlistment now - But, discovery of it in someone already in who is competent is not an instant trap door out now, for good or bad.
I believe, even to this day, recruiters have a lot of autonomy rto grant waivers medically - and, let's face it, some ability to lie/hide it/" don't ask don't tell " :lol: /not ask certain questions too, even if they're not supposed to! :lol:
A while back, there was somehing here, taking this further, about a recruiter who got a clearly unsuitable but big muscular hunk ASD kid before he was caught and the kid sent back.
I've yet to read the original clipping :| - I'm being hurried along :( .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Last edited by ASS-P on 24 Sep 2019, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 9:57 pm

^^^my recruiter did several waivers to get me on his list.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 10:03 pm

...Did you have a DX of some kind? In 198_?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 10:28 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...Did you have a DX of some kind? In 198_?

i remember from scanning shrink's notes to the recruiter, seeing the word "autism." when i was in elementary school, i peeked at the school shrink's notes and saw the word "schizoid." i wonder if the last shrink had said "schizoid" if the army would have taken me in.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 5:08 am

I tried to join the Australian Army on my 18th birthday. I passed the physical tests but not the psychological test. It was like a job interview. I probably didn't make eye contact, I was pretty bad at it back then.

Years later I tried to join the Army Reserve but I didn't even get past the application stage because I have asthma. Whoops. I was diagnosed with that shortly after I turned 18.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 5:48 am

when i joined it was in the middle of a coincident deep recession as well as a humongous army build-up [at the same time that a bunch of vietnam-era GIs retired] when ronnie raygun got elected. so they temporarily dropped their standards to get more bullet stoppers in uniform. i saw people in there who, along with me, had absolutely no blinkin' business in anybody's army. people who were barely smart enough to lace up their boots. people who were a menace to their fellow GIs. more than a few downright psychopaths. we were a source of tremendous frustration to our drills who were screaming curses at us and we were always doing punitive exercises even at night.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 8:11 am

ASS-P wrote:
...There a some here (American) of a certain age who did military time, to at least adequate satisfaction...
I did 6 years in the Navy and received an honorable discharge. Boot camp was no worse than what I grew up with in my childhood home. Active duty was very routine-driven -- certain things needed to be done at certain times and in a certain way. All of this before I had even heard about Asperger's Syndrome, Autistic Spectrum Disorders, HFA, PDD, PTSD, or NOS.

I guess if I had grown up knowing that I was supposed to be disabled, I would never have approached the recruiter.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 6:10 pm

I think Autistic people can do extremely well in many jobs in the military. I was a military child and grew up in it.

Wreck It Ralph

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 7:36 pm

i must be the exception then. :|

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 9:59 pm

skibum wrote:
I think Autistic people can do extremely well in many jobs in the military. I was a military child and grew up in it.

...Yoy don't state whether you yourself were in the military as an adult as opposed to being an " Army brat " :lol: when a child although from your phrasing I assume that you weren't.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 10:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:

.. You more down on tour Army time than you were when we personally discussed it. You did say to me that it led to the gainful employ.ent you were able to get after you were removed so that TV commercial part of Uncle Sammy's worked out for you - I had assumed.
When I spoke of such as you and Stendec doing militime, I said " satisfactory/adequate " for the reason of many people not LOVING military service :lol: 8) but finding it okay/as it worked out. alright, particularly in retrospect. I guess you got an honorable not a full chicken dinner :P ?4

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 10:14 pm

ASS-P wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

.. You more down on tour Army time than you were when we personally discussed it. You did say to me that it led to the gainful employ.ent you were able to get after you were removed so that TV commercial part of Uncle Sammy's worked out for you - I had assumed. When I spoke of such as you and Stendec doing militime, I said " satisfactory/adequate " for the reason of many people not LOVING military service :lol: 8) but finding it okay/as it worked out. alright, particularly in retrospect. I guess you got an honorable not a full chicken dinner :P ?4

i was able to keep my nose clean, as they say, which was good enough for an honorable and a civil service slot. but during basic training was tough. the toughest thing i ever did. not easy like it was for other recruits.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 11:42 pm

auntblabby wrote:
ASS-P wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

.. You more down on tour Army time than you were when we personally discussed it. You did say to me that it led to the gainful employ.ent you were able to get after you were removed so that TV commercial part of Uncle Sammy's worked out for you - I had assumed. When I spoke of such as you and Stendec doing militime, I said " satisfactory/adequate " for the reason of many people not LOVING military service :lol: 8) but finding it okay/as it worked out. alright, particularly in retrospect. I guess you got an honorable not a full chicken dinner :P ?4

i was able to keep my nose clean, as they say, which was good enough for an honorable and a civil service slot. but during basic training was tough. the toughest thing i ever did. not easy like it was for other recruits.

...I had a really long reply to you up, starting with explaining that I had taken a break and put part of an intended post I
up and you replied to it so I started a new one.
I said a lot in it but then my posting circumstances made me lose that draft :cry: . I don't feel like trying again niw :) , I'll just say that I presume you know what " fill chicken dinner " and especially " demobbed " meant :| .