Profound 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Severe 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Other 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 78

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 9:57 am

Mild, mild to the point where it's barely noticeable. I think over the years I've focused hard on masking symptoms just like how I fooled people into thinking I was straight. Constantly losing friends is a problem, though. I've always been the oddball - no relationships or kids at all. I do like being unique but I've got to admit - not being able to associate with my peers suck.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 10:17 am

iliketrees wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
I am 100% autistic.
iliketrees wrote:

I think you misunderstood what he said. He did not suggest the entire site sees autism that way, just the ones who do wouldn't be able to answer this truthfully.

And it bothers me more than I've admitted before. How people with incredibly mild Asperger's who therefore face no difficulties try to suggest autism isn't a disorder, but a gift. :roll: This kind of thinking has infected my parents who see it as something you "get over" as so many ignorant aspies suggest because it happened to them and therefore will happen to everyone. I mean there's being positive about yourself and there's just that. :x

If you face no difficulties then you won't be diagnosed, it's as simple as that.

I also don't think the view of autism as a gift is by any means confined to people with "mild" autism.

But yes, the view that autism is a childhood disorder that you "get over" is extremely annoying. It's lifelong, with no cure.

But if they fitted the diagnostic criteria in the past they still have their diagnosis as an adult even though if they were to be assessed now they wouldn't fit the criteria. It's not continuously assessed therefore people don't lose a diagnosis. This means there are people who face no difficulties at all with a diagnosis of autism which therefore qualifies them to talk about it as to represent everyone, since they're the best at speaking and therefore most likely to speak about it.

I haven't seen anyone with severe autism or has a child with severe autism call it a gift, put it that way. :|

I really doubt there are that many people with a diagnoses of autism who face no autism related difficulties whatsoever....and I have not really heard many people call autism itself a 'gift' in general, though there are those people but I do disagree some autistic people are probably gifted...but that doesn't mean the autism is a bed of roses.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 10:21 am

Booyakasha wrote:
Aurelia_aurita wrote:
Depends on what you mean by "autistic".

If you're the type of person who thinks of it as "just a different way of thinking" and/or "misunderstood", you're probably too much of a tool to answer this question truthfully. Same goes for the type of people who think having aspergers makes them genius savants ("Einstein was an aspie therefore I am Einstein!")

And even if you weren't trying to frame it that way, this question is pretty pointless. I mean nobody with actual severe autism would even be able to answer this question, why bother? (also anyone who voted on the "severe" option is a complete tool)

Please desist from calling members of this site "tools". Posting offensive remarks or provoking other members is forbidden by the forum rules.

Except in the philosophy and politics section where comments much worse then that are posted without much reprimand let alone any disciplinary action....not trying to be that snarky and I disagree with the tools comment, but I have seen worse go unchecked in other sections like philosophy and religion.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 12:18 pm

I'm moderately autistic according to my total scores on my diagnostic report and other questionnaires. But it's such a multi-faceted condition that I wonder how valid it is to reduce it to a single parameter.

Do I want a cure? A complete cure for the whole shebang, probably not, unless it was reversible and of course free of side effects. I would imagine there would at least be some negative psychological side effects, and to some extent it might well be like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Brains are complicated machines, and if they were simple enough to understand, we'd all be too simple to understand them, so I don't believe the brain-cure merchants fully grasp the gravity of what they're messing with.

But I'm less averse to therapies for alleviating my individual problematic traits. Again, I'd be somewhat nervous about anything irreversible, and about side effects, which is probably why I've limited my "therapies" to studying my traits and looking for behavioural solutions, which are often more to do with coping strategies than an actual cure.

I seem able to become good at most things if I practise diligently, so if I can get my brain round where the weaknesses are in my thinking style, I might (e.g.) be able to acquire some of the executive function skills I seem to lack, though the process is horribly confounded by the fact that I find it hard to fathom what exactly goes wrong when my executive function fails, and it might require more creative ingenuity than I'm usually capable of. It sounds like the kind of problem a really good autism counsellor could be very helpful with, but I believe they're very rare and I doubt they work cheap.

Ditto for social difficulties, though it's often difficult and unwise to practise on unsuspecting, real people. So for social things I just study psychology and I try to get into the habit of seeing people as emotionally-driven, to generally enhance my awareness of feelings and their importance. Sometimes I really seem to get it when a person feels this or that, and I feel I'm growing when that happens, though I sometimes hyperfocus on the feeling at the expense of the wider context, so the operation may be successful but the patient dies. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. But as long as I stay aware of that, I think the good often outweighs the harm. I think it's legitimate to see such activity as a kind of (partial) cure.

I'd like to try hypnotherapy for my sensory issues, perhaps a placebo would work, though placebos seem to work best when the client is initially fooled into thinking it's a real drug, so it's hard to know how it could possibly work if I were to seek it myself.

I don't have much faith in sitting in bathtubs of gypsum or any of the other substance remedies, including dietary changes (apart from eating healthy). I don't say none of them can possibly work, but somehow I think that most of them wouldn't. I did try the gypsum bath, but as I expected, it had no effect. Strong pharmaceuticals may alter some of the traits (Ritalin for attention problems, for example), but I really don't trust strong pharmaceuticals.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 1:47 pm

I answered other, because I can't put myself into one of the standard categories.
My brain is verry merry berry different from normal, even after IQ matching, I am so different from the smart people around me on objective tests of cognition and brain, while they cluster tightly together.
This is somewhat isolating for me, as I had thought that they were more similar to me, but they are not.
On some tests, I am the only outlier with a completely opposite response of equal magnitude.
Amongst HFA research participants, I am one of the people farther along the autism spectrum based on objective tests.
But I am verry merry berry high-functioning in certain non-social areas such as pursuing my special interests and independent living.
In social areas, I don't think I have as much spontaneous social cognition or social-emotional understanding as most people on wp, but people around me seem to accept me as me, my personality doesn't come across as annoying or offensive eggsept to eggstremely neurotypical women who generally dislike and reject me for reasons that I don't understand.
I think I have verry merry berry autistic brain, so much so that some of its traits ackshuly help me adapt by allowing me to do things in highly atypical ways.
I behaved in a verry merry berry autistic way as a child, but I learned to communicate at a crappy level by my teenage years, and now my communication is functional while abnormal.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 2:15 pm

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
I don't wanna be brainwashed

huh??

wtf??

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 4:22 pm

I think I am mild for the most part. I can take regular classes at school and have good speech. I understand most social rules, even if I don't always follow them.

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2015, 7:57 am

iliketrees wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Aurelia_aurita wrote:
Depends on what you mean by "autistic".

If you're the type of person who thinks of it as "just a different way of thinking" and/or "misunderstood", you're probably too much of a tool to answer this question truthfully. Same goes for the type of people who think having aspergers makes them genius savants ("Einstein was an aspie therefore I am Einstein!")

And even if you weren't trying to frame it that way, this question is pretty pointless. I mean nobody with actual severe autism would even be able to answer this question, why bother? (also anyone who voted on the "severe" option is a complete tool)

So many ignorant statements in so few sentences, it boggles my mind. I'm half tempted to believe you're just a troll. If not, and that's a legitimate statement, then chew on some facts because they'll cure your ignorance:
The brain of an autistic is literally wired differently, so yes it is a "different way of thinking" at it's very core. There are "classic" ("severe" in this thread) autistics on these boards, so yes, they can answer should they so choose. Just because classics don't speak doesn't mean they can't communicate, some can type and write even if they can't say words. Finally, read a few posts here-- you'll find a lot of autistics have such low self-esteem that they wouldn't consider comparing themselves to Einstein even in their wildest dreams.

I think you misunderstood what he said. He did not suggest the entire site sees autism that way, just the ones who do wouldn't be able to answer this truthfully.

And it bothers me more than I've admitted before. How people with incredibly mild Asperger's who therefore face no difficulties try to suggest autism isn't a disorder, but a gift. :roll: This kind of thinking has infected my parents who see it as something you "get over" as so many ignorant aspies suggest because it happened to them and therefore will happen to everyone. I mean there's being positive about yourself and there's just that. :x

Well, despite having not been diagnosed until I was 24, I wouldn't say that I face no difficulties (I can't drive due to sensory/motor skill issues for instance). But I also don't like to see it as a "disorder." I don't believe I will grow out of it but I don't think there is anything wrong with me either, I just happened to have been born into a society that wasn't set up to accommodate me, therefore rendering me disabled. But even still I am glad to be as I am, because though the world might be more painful it is also more beautiful.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 2:33 pm

Professionals keep information somewhat simple for me (I couldn't understand). I have run off continuously since I was about 5.