Is it possible to have aspergers but be good at reading face

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 1:25 pm

Yep. I do well at the test and both of my kids (on the spectrum) also do ok on those tests. Well, you know when you can look at ONE isolated expression for a few seconds it becomes WAY easier. In real life many of those expressions are fairly fleeting. I mean, who walks around with a constant look of "disdain" or "disgust" on their face? Expressions change, often quickly.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 5:44 pm

I can read faces, depending on who it is. My next to youngest brother, aka the First Shirt (army slang for Seargent First Class) gives me fits every time I have to deal with him. An organist friend of mine, I can't read him at all (again, this guy was career Army Chaplin corps. He has a stone face which makes it difficult). Looking into one's eyes is what makes my life miserable, since I can't figure out what one is thinking.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 7:02 pm

It is hard to read my catatar's face.
It is unclear what she is thinking from her face.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 7:09 pm

I do OK at reading faces when looking at pictures (e.g. "Mind in the Eyes" test). I am not so good at doing this during real time interaction. Unless the other person does something which is quite obvious (e.g. an eye roll). I have noticed people wink at times. But, I am not always certain what that means. Was that directed to me or someone else? And, what exactly does that wink mean?

As a note, during my assessment, the clinical psychologist administered the Advanced Clinical Solutions (ACS) (which apparently is used to measure social cognition). I actually scored OK on these tests. But apparently, I lack “automaticity”. The clinical psychologist described some sort of rule-based “mental decision tree” I use to determine which emotion is being conveyed.

anemiccinema
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 May 2015, 8:01 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
That said, when I looked at the photos without looking at the multiple choice I had little to no idea, it was only by getting clues from the answers that I was able to get so many right.

CWA wrote:
In real life many of those expressions are fairly fleeting. I mean, who walks around with a constant look of "disdain" or "disgust" on their face? Expressions change, often quickly.

Agree very much with both of these. I think it is more plausible for those on the spectrum to do well on this test than to read social cues in real life. I still struggle profoundly with making eye contact with strangers and acquaintances for more than a few seconds at a time (really do not understand the rules for how long eye contact should be maintained) so that is another obstacle for me in real life, compared to the test.

Sting
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2015, 11:09 pm

I got 23/36, a little below average.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 11:16 pm

Definitely. People on the spectrum can learn. I did when I wanted to draw facial expressions. I learned the basics on my own by looking in a mirror and watching cartoons, I also learned by experience, there was a lot of fighting in my household, and now I'm better at knowing when a fight is about to start. The subtle stuff still stumps me, other people usually have to tell me when to leave or stop talking or approach a person.

How are you with other body language? I know I suck at it lol.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com