I think I've been misdiagnosed as having an ASD

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 11:10 am

Ive been given a promotion at work. If i had ASD I wouldnt be promoted.

Also there is a game where you have to read people's emotions by eyes only and I got 20 out of 20. The average is about 18 or 19. Doesn't this mean I don't have autism?

I don't stim or feel depressed. Ive never felt inferior. I do get bored easily though but a lot of people with ASD don't.
I do have some traits like I don't desire to be around people so much. I don't like touch and in informal social groups I'm not sure what to do, but i can be good with people if I have a reason to be.

The guy who diagnosed me was very thorough and spoke to my family but his opinion might have been skewed by other things.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 11:16 am

starfox wrote:

Also there is a game where you have to read people's emotions by eyes only and I got 20 out of 20. The average is about 18 or 19. Doesn't this mean I don't have autism?

I don't stim or feel depressed. Ive never felt inferior. I do get bored easily though but a lot of people with ASD don't.
I do have some traits like I don't desire to be around people so much. I don't like touch and in informal social groups I'm not sure what to do, but i can be good with people if I have a reason to be.

The guy who diagnosed me was very thorough and spoke to my family but his opinion might have been skewed by other things.

Can you give us a thorough recounting of all his reasons for believing you're on the spectrum?

Oh, by the way...

Many high-functioning autistics do well at their jobs, and most certainly can receive promotions. The fact you have doesn't disprove an autism diagnosis.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 11:35 am

Some conditions can look like ASD (like borderline personality disorder) maybe you could get yourself re-evaluated?

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 11:51 am

starfox wrote:

I am sorry, but your logic is flawed. That first sentence is a fallacious argument; those two things have nothing to do with one another.

I am not saying you have or don't have ASD, but nothing you've written here could sway me in either direction.

Those online tests are just for fun, you should base your argument off of your real life experiences, and past experiences. It's possible for an autist to learn to recognize facial expressions over time.

The other things you've listed as reasons why you think to doctor was incorrect, are not autistic specific traits. Depression is not required, feeling inferior isn't (not even sure where this misconception comes from), and getting bored easily could be attributed to ADHD or not having found a good special interest. Not having the desire to be around people is an introvert thing. Some Autistics are extroverts, some are introverts.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 12:02 pm

I feel like I don't have Asperger's either. I won't bore you with the reasons why, but there are lots of significant reasons why I think I don't have it. I feel AD(H)D and anxiety disorder describe me much better, and I just feel I have some traits of Asperger's but not actually have the condition. The only two things that make life difficult for me are inattentiveness and social anxiety. So that's what I tell everybody now, and it feels much more accurate than having to explain an ASD to them.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's in childhood, which I don't know why. I think I should have just been diagnosed with AD (anxiety disorder). Perhaps I failed the sally-anne test or something.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 12:31 pm

I have no bpd. No mental health problems. I've been declared entirely sane.

I was diagnosed mostly due to how I was in childhood. I started talking and stuff then suddenly stopped at around 2. Then I had selective mutism until 5. I didn't hang out with other children and apparently there was a delay in joint attention.

During assessment I went to a fast food place with the person who was assessing me and he noted that I didn't talk to any of the staff (I used to work there but I was hungry, I didn't want a conversation.) I lost some jobs because although on paper it seemed I was able to do the job, in reality I didn't know what to do.

My family said I must get evaluated because he says I always missed the point when he said things, also that I didn't know consequences of my actions. That's typical of teenagers though.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 12:34 pm

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
starfox wrote:

I am sorry, but your logic is flawed. That first sentence is a fallacious argument; those two things have nothing to do with one another.

Ah but asd is a social impairment. If your social skills are terrible there is no way you could be a supervisor. Social skills are needed for that role.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2015, 1:01 pm

teksla wrote:
Some conditions can look like ASD (like borderline personality disorder) maybe you could get yourself re-evaluated?

It's also possible for someone on the 'autistic spectrum' to be mis-identified as something else...

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 1:13 pm

mpe wrote:
teksla wrote:

It's also possible for someone on the 'autistic spectrum' to be mis-identified as something else...

Yes. Of course it goes both ways

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 1:36 pm

starfox wrote:
Ah but asd is a social impairment. If your social skills are terrible there is no way you could be a supervisor. Social skills are needed for that role.

Impairment is not synonymous with inability. Sure, an aspie may have to learn social skills by observation,analysis and some trial and error, rather than intuitively understanding them to the same degree as the average NT. But that isn't to say it cannot be done.

Sure, I'm an aspie, and I'm a bookish introvert with a weird sense of humour, strange ideas for what constitutes recreational reading, and a deep abiding love for quiet nocturnal solitude (and the occasional cloning experiment). But I've met enough aspies to know that mine is not the only mold we are cast from, and the concept of an autism spectrum suggests that there are at least some aspies who could do any given thing that NTs can.

Summa summarum: You may and may not be an aspie. Nothing you've so far said suggests much either way.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 1:48 pm

I don't stim or hurt myself. I can read facial expressions and basic body language. My sensory issues are mild and don't affect me in everyday life. However, I am an aspie.
Autism affects its unfortunate victims in myriad ways.
The core symptoms of Asperger's are: social impairment; inability to fit in socially; inability to make friends; repetitive and restricted behaviors.

Quote:

starfox, you clearly are on the spectrum. NTs are not bothered by touch, and they instinctively know how to act in both formal and informal situations.
Quote:

He was a professional, right?
In case you ask how I know that I have Asperger's, here's the evidence:
-I was diagnosed by a licensed professional;
-I have all the core symptoms;
-I've always been hated and shunned by my peers;
-I've been horribly bullied and discriminated throughout my life;
-my peers consider me an annoying, arrogant, attention-seeking, worthless, useless loser.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 1:53 pm

@cockroach96 I believe you have aspergers. Yeah he was professional.

I think the reason I am not sure how to act socially though was because I wasn't directly told I have to learn that. Also I was born early so I was treated differently. I think it's probably because I was given wrong information about how things are and how I should be.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 1:57 pm

Congrats on the promotion!

Maybe you have an ASD--but you've adjusted to the world relatively well by using your cognition. Many people with Asperger's are able to do this--many of them on this Site.

It doesn't matter, really, if you have an ASD. What matters is what you do with your life, with or without an ASD.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 2:03 pm

Quote:
@cockroach96 I believe you have aspergers.

Like I said, I already know I have it. It's an undeniable fact.
Quote:
I think the reason I am not sure how to act socially though was because I wasn't directly told I have to learn that. Also I was born early so I was treated differently. I think it's probably because I was given wrong information about how things are and how I should be.

You are wrong.
Firstly, NTs are not told that they have to learn how to act socially. They anyway learn it naturally.
Secondly, being born early does NOT get you treated differently.

What wrong information did you receive?
Quote:
Congrats on the promotion!

Maybe you have an ASD--but you've adjusted to the world relatively well by using your cognition. Many people with Asperger's are able to do this--many of them on this Site.

It doesn't matter, really, if you have an ASD. What matters is what you do with your life, with or without an ASD.

What do you mean it doesn't matter if you have ASD? It totally screws up your life!
Some aspies are lucky enough to have normal lives, and those are the rare exceptions. Some of those rare exceptions are super-lucky and get promotions or appear on TV. But they are still aspies and will always be.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 2:12 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Congrats on the promotion!.

Thank you

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 4:07 pm

One always has the right to go for a second opinion. And you have the right to go to the person who diagnosed you and question him and ask why he diagnosed you the way he did.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman