Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 10:02 am

I mean, from what I can gather, people there are expected to be blunt and literal, not to mention meticulous. Why can't North American society be more like this? http://www.fluentin3months.com/german-stereotypes/ http://www.expatica.com/de/insider-view ... 00958.html http://www.german-way.com/how-to-tell-w ... ng-german/

It's funny because this type of behavior is considered "rude" by North American NT society. I think it would be a welcome change from how people around here beat around the bush and sugarcoat everything!

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2015, 4:07 pm

I once met a German guy who fits all the stereotypes, and dear Lord, he was scary. He was an assistant teacher in a special class in elementary school, and I was always stressed during his lessons and did really badly. Fortunately, doing poorly caused me to get switched to another teacher. I have hypersensitivity, so I can't stand when people talk that loudly or that suddenly (he didn't "talk" so much as shout, really).

I like people sugar-coating things, personally. Maybe because it's what I'm used to.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona, USA, and there's a lot of people here that are introverted, not overly talkative, reserved, and fairly polite. Pretty much all the people I work with are like that to some degree. If they have a problem with you, they'll usually either sugar-coat their complaint, or they'll just nod and smile to your face and complain about you to someone else while you're not around. But our company's corporate office is in Minnesota, which has a totally different culture in this regard, so we end up interacting with a lot of people who are blunt, loud, assertive, critical, and can't seem to take a hint. If they have a problem with you, they might verbally abuse you to your face. At least, it seems abusive to us sensitive Arizona folks; the Minnesota staff considers that behavior perfectly normal and professional. (I feel like they totally overdo the eye-contact too. Even when they're not angry, it's like they're trying to stare you down.)

I like the Arizona style better. 8O

CryosHypnoAeon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2015, 4:18 pm

Yes, I once noticed the same thing about German Culture.

Though be careful, Nazis and Autistics are different breeds.
Autistics will shove you in an oven because it's the logical thing to do, and it probably doesn't hurt you, because you don't have real feelings, you know, like fish; where a Nazi knows the oven will hurt you, not to mention you're living in an entire existential nightmare on your trek TO THE OVEN, but they want to get rid of you, and they push you in the oven any way.

See ?

It's all so clear now :>

piup piup

CryosHypnoAeon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2015, 4:20 pm

Yes, I once noticed the same thing about German Culture.

Though be careful, Nazis and Autistics are different breeds.
Autistics will shove you in an oven because it's the logical thing to do, and it probably doesn't hurt you, because you don't have real feelings, you know, like fish; where a Nazi knows the oven will hurt you, not to mention you're living in an entire existential nightmare on your trek TO THE OVEN, but they want to get rid of you, and they push you in the oven any way.

See ?

It's all so clear now :>

piup piup

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 6:57 am

"Paradise", I lol'd... if you search for German Asperger's articles and translate them it's pretty evident that there's no such thing as an Aspie paradise.
But yeah for Aspies Germany is probably better than most places.

qFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Sep 2015, 5:14 pm

Germans accept somewhat brash and direct behaviour but they will still reject you if they sense you are different. Just like any other culture. As long as every single society is driven by human greed and animalistic instinct on the macro level there is no such thing as an aspie paradise. Most with autism seek a society with shared authority, loyalty, trust, justice, predictability and stability. This is simply not possible when it is in human nature to seek risks and to commit betrayal to gain resources and power over others, which is the thread that binds every human society together.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 2:17 pm

Given the refugee crisis in Europe, I doubt that Germany can be welcoming to Aspies from outside.