Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 10:50 am

For a while now I've been keeping a journal of sorts, in order to try and keep everything straight in my mind, keep a timeline, remember issues I wanted to pursue and make sure I follow up in areas that need it. Organisation. That was the intention, at least. I have been reviewing it, and viewed with any kind of objectivity, I've gone insane. There were seemingly five or so issues, and everything else was an endless rehashing, rephrasing, or straight up repeating, of these issues. Over and over. For hundreds of pages as if it's something new. I've obviously overlooked the only point worthwhile noting here - obsessive thinking. Repetitive, circular, relentless. I honestly am not thinking about anything new, just the same material recycled endlessly. It was actually slightly scary.
The obvious solution seems to be to actively get some new material, but I doubt it's that simple. At this point I don't trust that I won't just start the same behaviour with new information. Plus I suspected there has to be some reason behind me obsessing over these particular points to such an extent. It's not the same as simply a special interest, as it's not an external topic or activity that I'm interested in progressively, more the content seemed to be focused on personal problems. And it did not seem to be furthering the subject matter in any way or finding a solution, simply repeating it using different words.
Is this an autistic issue? Now I realise I'm doing it, what can be done to counteract this behaviour? Anyone else experience this? I have to stop this, or I'm doomed to obsessing about these same petty personal issues forever. :(

cheryll
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Sep 2015, 11:14 am

Not sure if this is what you mean, but if something is bothering me, I can’t get it out of my mind. The most recent example was when I had a dispute with some woman about something, two months ago. For most of that time, not a day would pass without me going through it all in my head, writing about it, discussing it with others and getting upset about it - the same thoughts over and over. I’m almost over it now, but it was such an issue that I ended up getting depressed and was unable to focus on anything else, even getting through everyday chores was a problem. Is that the type of thing you mean? If so, I have no idea how to snap out of obsessive thinking and like you, would like to know how. Also, if that's not what you mean, can you give an example because it might be something I struggle with.

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2015, 11:33 am

I have the very same issue. It's an ongoing thing.

Ben_Is_My_Only_God
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2015, 12:11 pm

My mind still endlessly replays incidents from back when I was ten years old and even younger. There is nothing to be gained from this repetitive recycling of thoughts but that's just the way I am I guess, I just accept it because when it comes to the crunch I can't prevent it.

345 is a nice number on which to end.

Bimog And The Search For Pangea

Abe1

08 Sep 2015, 12:34 pm

I tend to think back over incidents as well, I know I should let things go, but I can't.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 1:39 pm

I've had some success with one writing method of 0, 1, 2, or 3.

Meaning I'll look over something dry that I'm interested in, like geology or taxes when I was interested in that. This often serves to calm me.

And then I have a blank piece of paper or my journal pad. And I give myself permission to write one, two, or three things, or zero, too. And these things are a single sentence, or maybe two sentences on the same aspect.

This is a zen approach of conscious underdoing, but still doing.

And I'm not going to say this always work. Given how complicated we as human beings are and how complicated life is, that's too much to expect. But it sometimes works, and I'll take that.