Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 5:08 pm

Both my mom and daughter use words that almost sound like the correct word but are not. Some are similar sounding actual words with a somewhat similar meaning, like "decompose" for "decompress" in the context of being an introvert & needing isolation. Other times, it'll be simply random non-word syllables that sound kinda like the actual word(s), like "gagro flobber" for "Geiger counter". Although I have the same audio processing disorders & we share most of our other neural atypical traits, I've always been exceedingly self-conscious about my speaking voice & patterns so I converse differently. Less easily, I guess. In our home, they are sort of celebrated as funny and creative word creation/substitution.

Does anyone else do this & if so, what are some of your favorites?

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 5:15 pm

I do this sometimes. The reason I posted a reply is that the television series "The Sopranos" has their characters do this frequently for the entire six seasons.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 5:26 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
I do this sometimes. The reason I posted a reply is that the television series "The Sopranos" has their characters do this frequently for the entire six seasons.

Sadly, our APD's mean that our televisions are rarely used to watch shows & movies. Out of curiosity please, on The Sopranos were the characters doing it intentionally as obfuscation, as jokes or did they all have APD's and other atypical neural traits?

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 5:31 pm

I do this everyday in my language which is not English. I've done this from I could remember. It's part of me.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 5:41 pm

I believe it was done for comic relief. I never knew if the people had APD or tried to sound smart but did not have the knowledge. I like to believe it was a combination since the characters differed widely. The characters did not do it intentionally. I think usually they were being arrogant but it also happened in regular conversation.

Answer to Edenthiel's question - were the characters doing it intentionally as obfuscation, as jokes or did they all have APD's and other atypical neural traits?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Sep 2015, 11:35 pm

I do that sometimes & I also sometimes say words that are just plain wrong & don't fit & sometimes I say the opposite word like heater when I mean AC or refrigerator when I mean freezer. I always thought this was due to my dyslexia.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition