Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 7:09 pm

From the tender age of 6 I was genuinely fascinated by animals. I would horde and watch countless nature documentaries, there were countless books on my bookshelves and I would watch and read these over and over again. I never grew tired of the topic. One of my favourite outings was going to the zoo and with my father's camera I would film my own "documentaries" with the vast amount of knowledge I had amassed.

As I grew older, that interest evolved to include people as well. NTs, the neurodiverse, the religious, nonreligious, you name it, I studied it. How people behave in crowds, hive minds, groupthink, why people make bad choices, reasons why people aren't rational and nonverbal "tells" that might yield a clue as to what's going on in people's minds.

Anyone else out there with a similar interest? :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 7:20 pm

I like people--but I'm not really fascinated by them--or by human psychology.

Human (especially abnormal) psychology is interesting to me--but it doesn't really intrigue me all that much. I used to read large psychology textbooks when I was about 10-11 years old. I was, and still am, more fascinated by case studies than by theory.

You will find many people on WP who share your fascination, though.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 7:47 pm

Cool. :D Good to know I'm not the only one who likes "people-watching".

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 8:47 pm

Most of the time people around me are just a blur.
But sometimes I focus and observe more closely and find them interesting.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2015, 9:16 pm

I used to take an interest in human behaviour, until it just all seemed too bloody predictable for me and so I just gave it up.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 9:50 pm

I'm interested in people. I feel I understand them better by watching/reading about animals and applying that to humans. I used to just believe what people told me but I think I understand people better by understanding the drives underneath what they say.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 10:11 pm

I am very interested in human behaviour, it provides a small peek into the NT mindset.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 2:08 am

I've always been fascinated by people, ever since I was about 3 months old. That is why my ASD didn't get recognized at all during the first 5 years of my life.

It was only odd behaviour and noticeable anxiety that got me a diagnosis, but even that didn't show until I was 4. I've always had an interest in people.

Ever since I was about 3, I drew people (I drew things like of me, my mum, my dad and my brother). When I got a bit older I drew me playing or doing some sort of activity with my cousins. I included emotions and facial expressions and everything.
Then when I got to about 10 I wrote stories about my friends and family, because people's behaviour and intentions just fascinated me. I also wrote stories where I made up characters too.

At school I was fascinated by the other kids. It was easier to be socially accepted at primary school, and so I made sure I was never playing on my own. I hated being on my own.

When I played with toys I always made things interact, for example my dolls house. This was the same with imaginary play too, with or without other children. I didn't have a problem playing with my toys with others either.
Then when puberty kicked in I lost my innocence, and started getting intense obsessions with certain people, which got me into trouble. This lasted all through my teens.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 9:00 am

I people watch all the time. I just try to observe and figure rules from my observations. If person (A) does this, person (B) has a tendency to do that in response.

But, I have to watch from a distance. Up close or in person, it all gets washed away as I am overloaded with stimuli and cannot make connections on the fly. If they deviate from my "rules" that I observe, I am doubly lost.

Oddly enough, those that people consider to be "beautiful" bore me. Maybe too much symmetry to be noticeable? But, the odd face or body type with noticeable imperfections and asymmetry are interesting and attractive to me. And there are facial types that just freak me out. The big forehead/doll like face really bugs me. I find it attractive in art, but creepy beyond compare on real people.

For instance, my wife: She has a crooked smile that pulls to one side. But, most of all, when she smiles, I get it. She has those eyes that actually turn into upside down "U"s when she smiles. It's such a marked difference that I can notice it. Offset mouth, upside down 'U's for eyes...yep, she's happy. Ok...happy wife, happy life...or so I've heard.

Otherwise, unless someone has an extreme facial structure or expression, it's all a wash for me.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 9:44 am

I am. Typically I'm the most fascinating by people and ideas that I'm fundamentally opposed to. It's one of the reasons I'm so fascinated with the Nazis.

I spent far more time than I would like to admit listening to people like Rush Limbaugh and Alex Jones being awestruck by the things their listeners believe.

But yeah, I love psychology and sociology.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

13 Nov 2015, 7:56 am

People are fascinating. I took up street photography to observe and interact. It was immensely helpful. I learned how to approach people, make eye contact, put them at ease and get some great photographs.

Sitting in a busy park watching people go bye is one of my all time favorite distractions. And if they have a dog, it is even better. Dogs are easy to read and I always get a good laugh out of it.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 8:49 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
From the tender age of 6 I was genuinely fascinated by animals. I would horde and watch countless nature documentaries, there were countless books on my bookshelves and I would watch and read these over and over again. I never grew tired of the topic. One of my favourite outings was going to the zoo and with my father's camera I would film my own "documentaries" with the vast amount of knowledge I had amassed.

As I grew older, that interest evolved to include people as well. NTs, the neurodiverse, the religious, nonreligious, you name it, I studied it. How people behave in crowds, hive minds, groupthink, why people make bad choices, reasons why people aren't rational and nonverbal "tells" that might yield a clue as to what's going on in people's minds.

Yes, much like you just said, but I am generally repulsed by people. Being around people often makes me feel ill, especially if they are talking or being outwardly aggressive.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 10:08 pm

olympiadis wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

Yes, much like you just said, but I am generally repulsed by people. Being around people often makes me feel ill, especially if they are talking or being outwardly aggressive.

I find certain people repulsive - bullies, especially. They just disgust me on so many levels that I want nothing to do with them.

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2015, 10:49 pm

I am very fascinated by people. I guess it's because, in general, I don't understand most of the ones I meet. Their motivations, what seems to please them or make them sad, etc. Many seem to just stumble through life without bothering to think. But they are really interesting to watch and always bring a smile to my face.

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Nov 2015, 11:21 pm

Definite people watcher here - observing, I call myself an observational artist - I draw pictures of what I consider to be exceptionally normal situations, which I find amusing. I studied people through observation and tried to work out whys. I knew there was something I didn't get and had to work it out. Since diagnosis I have learnt I'm never going to work it out so the interest has subsided somewhat. I have developed some theories on peoples behaviour and so forth, which, while sitting well with me, are probably offensive to the greater world. I do quite like people in general, every one is so unique.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 1:26 am

Skurvey wrote:
Definite people watcher here - observing, I call myself an observational artist - I draw pictures of what I consider to be exceptionally normal situations, which I find amusing. I studied people through observation and tried to work out whys. I knew there was something I didn't get and had to work it out. Since diagnosis I have learnt I'm never going to work it out so the interest has subsided somewhat. I have developed some theories on peoples behaviour and so forth, which, while sitting well with me, are probably offensive to the greater world. I do quite like people in general, every one is so unique.

People generally find the truth very offensive, and prefer to live inside the construct of their own imagined identities.