Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Jdibbs25
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2015, 7:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I am currently at the point where I want to schedule an assessment. The problem is that am fairly high functioning adult so I want to make sure I select an experienced doctor that will be able to detect my Aspie traits.

I've already seen a general neuropsychologist for an ADD assessment which was the WAIS IV came back negative for ADD but I was diagnosed which major depressive disorder and mild cognitive impairment which is weird because I have an engineering degree.

So my question is should I maybe choose a psychiatrist with experience in adult ASD or an experienced psychologist?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2015, 8:03 pm

Jdibbs25 wrote:
Hi everyone,

So my question is should I maybe choose a psychiatrist with experience in adult ASD or an experienced psychologist?

An psychologist with experience and up to date knowledge about adult ASD is pretty much a necessity. This may be very difficult to find or may be unaffordable depending on where you live.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 1:47 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Jdibbs25 wrote:
Hi everyone,

An psychologist with experience and up to date knowledge about adult ASD is pretty much a necessity. This may be very difficult to find or may be unaffordable depending on where you live.

Yes! I would strongly advice finding someone with a good level of experience in this area! I was originally suspected by a Councillor.. However the waiting list in NZ seems to be a long waiting period, so i was passed onto a ""Standard"" Psychologist that didn't seem to have much experience in this area, despite even in her words of ticking the boxes on the spectrum, she didn't give me a diagnosis, only a report which is really frustrating especially after spending a few months with her, so in effect after almost a year i am back to square one and doing the research myself, as it seems my initial trust in the system and the so called ""Professionals"" was somewhat misplaced! I didn't self diagnose, but have now seen 3 persons and all have said i am on the spectrum, but am yet to get the diagnosis officially... So trying to currently find someone that can assist in this area but so far the the only person i can find that doesn't have a waiting list of more than 8 months MAY be able to see me in 6.... So long and short from start to finish it may take me 2 years to get an official answer! Really is frustrating! :evil: