Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

allisonbieber00
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2015, 8:49 pm

Do you have any unusual or odd stims?

Well, I do...

1)
Mine is rocking, while rocking I will sometimes, I will place my hand over my ears and close my eyes (When I'm over stimulated) or eyes (When I'm under stimulated), or I'll hug my chest and close my eyes (When I'm having an EXTREME anxiety attack I put a pillow under my shirt and bra to add pressure to my chest while rocking, The pressure thing is so I can try and lower my heart rate down to a normal beating pace because when I have my Anxiety Attacks my heart rate like doubles and maybe some times triple.). I only rock while I'm sitting down.

2)
Before I go to bed every night I HAVE to pretend to have a seizure, in order too relax and tense my muscles. For some reason I find this EXTREMELY relaxing, and I have no clue why. Is this harmful or dangerous, I've never lost contentiousness before, while doing it.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 9:01 pm

Welcome to WP.

I don't think your stims are particularly odd. They are very understandable. I rock as well and will also cover my ears and close my eyes sometimes when rocking. I also tense and relax different muscles in order to feel them and to be aware of my body and that also creates a relaxing affect. And I hug myself all the time. It feels really good. Now I have never put a pillow under my shirt or bra to do that but now that you mentioned it I might give it a try since I would like the increased pressure. I think you might find that the stims you described are much more common than you think. :D

Wreck It Ralph

Soyer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2015, 9:05 pm

In front of other people I try to be more subtle about stimming so sometimes I'll clench and unclench my fist like I'm squeezing a stress ball or something. I also do calf raises and I smoke a cigarette if I get too overwhelmed but I'm not sure that counts since a lot of normal people do that.
When I'm by myself I just do the usual rocking and flapping and a couple other things.

allisonbieber00
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Dec 2015, 11:03 pm

Soyer wrote:
In front of other people I try to be more subtle about stimming so sometimes I'll clench and unclench my fist like I'm squeezing a stress ball or something. I also do calf raises and I smoke a cigarette if I get too overwhelmed but I'm not sure that counts since a lot of normal people do that.
When I'm by myself I just do the usual rocking and flapping and a couple other things.

Yeah, those stims I only do when I'm alone, when I'm around people however I usually cross my fingers really really tight then release them. or I snap my fingers quietly or I bight my lip and/or cheek.

Soyer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2015, 11:28 pm

allisonbieber00 wrote:
Yeah, those stims I only do when I'm alone, when I'm around people however I usually cross my fingers really really tight then release them. or I snap my fingers quietly or I bight my lip and/or cheek.

Oh yeah, I chew the hell out of the inside of my mouth. I guess it never really occurred to me that I was stimming when I did it, always just thought of it as a bad habit. Guess it's good to know I'm not the only one. My fingers are all chewed up too.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 1:18 pm

Welcome to WP, Allison! My name is Allison as well. My most common stim is putting my hands together with the fingers spread out and tapping the sides of my index fingers against my face so my fingers come together.

unknownfactor
Raven
Raven

13 Dec 2015, 3:53 pm

Hands on face and neck for me. When in social situations, I try my best to keep it to one hand instead of both. When at home, all bets are off.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 9:25 pm

TheAP wrote:
Welcome to WP, Allison! My name is Allison as well. My most common stim is putting my hands together with the fingers spread out and tapping the sides of my index fingers against my face so my fingers come together.

:cyclopsani: I do this too!

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 7:32 am

Many times a day, I shake my hands vividly/forcefully - to regulate an inner agitation/tension. I don´t know if that´s actually a stim or why I get tense/agitated.