curious about possibly being on autism spectrum

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

claire2016
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2016, 2:37 am

So, I don't really know where to start with this so bear with me lol. I'm thinking I may be on the autism spectrum, I haven't yet been to a doctor about it but so much I've read really resonates with me. I am aware I could have other mental issues causing these symptoms, and I don't feel comfortable with self diagnosis so I'm really just looking for opinions from people living with aspergers or high functioning autism.

I've compiled a list of traits I have had since childhood that make me think I may be aspie:

I can make friends, but they have to fit a very specific mold of what I want and honestly don't know how to move forward in relationships.

I can't stand "prune fingers" from being in water to long it feels like needles under my skin, I don't like light touch on my skin and slamming doors or vaccume cleaners.

I left school at 13 because although I consider myself of aaverage intelligence, I can't take in verbal information, I find I have to read it.

Although I could make friends, I was always an outcast. I wanted friends but I was also happy being alone with my hobbies.

I've never had a job, I really want one but I find application forms really intimidating and I honestly don't know where to start.

I really connect with animals, I feel like i understand them better than people.

I pace when I'm stressed. I can literally pace and go over an event in my head for hours. I find it calming.

I'm really bad at telephone conversations. I find I talk over people and I don't really know when the conversation is over.

And lastly I've always generally just felt disconnected and different :( I'm not looking for an autism diagnosis at the moment. Just opinions from people that do suffer from the condition.

CuddleHug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2016, 2:11 pm

You're hard to respond to because I don't what you want an opinion on. You listed some asd traits but what is the result of them? That is the first question a doctor will ask you; why you're seeking a diagnosis, what are you struggling with, what the problem is... you can make friends but don't know how to move forward in relationships yet you're also happy being alone. This can be many things asd looks at your communication in relationships although the fact you're happy makes it quite irrelevant.

The only thing that seems to be of concern is work and intimidation refers to the problem being fear based. There are a lot of reasons why work could be feared as you've never had a job before this seems normal. Unless there is something else that impairs you from getting a job/passing an interview.

Perhaps you lack support to provide you with the appropriate information to fill out an application form. To fill out an application form you simply have to go to the prospective employer and ask for it then answer the questions listed starting at the top of the page and going down left to right. If an application form is not provided a resume is typically submitted in it's stead with a note of what position you're applying for. A resume can also always be attached to an application form and I cannot see any negative consequences from doing so even when not required. There are plenty of online guides to fill out resumes effectively you simply have to go to google type in 'how to resume' and go to the first website that pops up. Then fill in the categories as directed and or shown. In my country there are also employment agencies with government paid employees to do all this for you perhaps your country has something similar although it is certainly not required. While definitely intimidating and fearful the activity itself is exceptionally easy and by far the easiest part of getting a job. The hard part is actually passing the interview when asd is involved communication makes this event problematic or other visible symptoms. Unfortunately people are often hired based upon their communication skills over their ability to work or work ethic. A person with better communication skills is far more likely to be hired than someone who is a better worker but poorer communication skills. There are multiple solutions to this either the subject improves communication to a passable level or work history is to of such an exemplary standard that it cannot be ignored. This is a way we can accommodate for poor communication skills at work.

black0441
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jan 2016, 3:36 pm

Maybe occupational therapy would be a good option as a place to start. This could help you overcome your fear of applying for a job, and help you develop some skills that would help you find a job.

AQ: 35
Diagnosed with ASD Level 1 15 Jan 2016

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 4:48 pm

You added some lines since your original post which provides a bit more info. I concur though with what the first reply said about applications and not being sure what the question is.
The list reads like you might've come across an autism questionnairre and back-filled where it could fit...as opposed to i am really having a hard time with x, y, z and i need help figuring out what is going on/why.

The difference between the two matters as it's hard to tell what the motive is for the question..i.e. Why does it matter..why would you seek such a diagnosis..and again, what is it you're asking here.. There are many people who get a decent number on an aq test and live quality lives...there are many people with learning disabilities/different learning methods that don't have autism..there are many people who are not popular, introverted, or somewhat reclusive and not autistic. Ronald Reagan dropped out of high school and became president of a country..

I don't say any of this to be mean. I'm just not sure what you're asking here..it sounds like you're asking if you could be autistic? My opinion..perhaps...but a lot that you listed vs what wasn't listed doesn't jump out to me. As above, many on the list could also be for other reasons.
Perhaps you could update with more info? What in particular are you looking for opinions on; or what, if anything, besides new job applications you feel are really interfering with your current life?