Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Apr 2007, 11:08 am

Does anyone know a good way to get respect from your peers? I have not too much of a problem making friends but being respected by most is still a problem.....any ideas?

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 11:34 am

Do you feel like you are being disrespected by your peers?

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 11:43 am

I know that I am not respected but I don`t understand the dynamics of how respect works really.
I think one way is to be okay with being yourself and not try to fit in with a group by changing that.
My son used to go out with mates every week but doesn`t drink. He used to get badgered all the time to just have one drink but refused. When he did at last take a drink then he found that he lost respect because before they respected him for sticking to his own mind.
I don`t know any other examples.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

indigoiis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2007, 12:26 pm

Be honest.
Be clear.
Don't play games.
Be respectful.

If you give it, you will get it.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 12:37 pm

Joshandspot wrote:
Does anyone know a good way to get respect from your peers? I have not too much of a problem making friends but being respected by most is still a problem.....any ideas?
Think carefully about how you present yourself to others, including your posture, expression, and the timing of your actions. This takes practice and conscious study. Get in touch with me after a few years, and tell me if it worked. Outside of your own circle of friends, the packaging actually is of importance because it's all most people get to see of you.

Mr_Winston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2007, 12:39 pm

Respect is earned, not given.

Indigoiis pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Airbrush
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2007, 2:32 pm

Respect them, and they will respect you.
That`s my experience of it really.

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Apr 2007, 7:16 pm

The thing is I do respect others but since they know I will still be friends with them even if they don't fully respect me, they choose the easier route which is not to respect. I do get some respect, just not as much as others seem to get

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2007, 11:38 pm

I still have a big problem with this at 32. I am too trusting, loyal, and naive...

And the same way: they know they can disrespect me and I'm still around, though am working on that one now.

It's about learning when to stand up for yourself and how to do this in the right way. I'm just finally figuring this out now..

Before now, i couldn't even understand the hows and whys and would end up extremely frustrated and very, very confused, but it looks like you recognize the problem already, which is a great start.

sunnycat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 12:33 am

From my experience, I would say respecting myself first is crucial in being respected...
Also if I respect myself, it becomes a secondary matter whether others respect me or not...I'm not saying that it doesn't matter...it's just not the crucial factor...