Head injury contributing to or mimicing aspie traits....?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 1:10 am

In my self-diagnosis journey....um...I have decided to bring up a particular factor about myself..I might have received a couple head injuries when I was little....I know that at some point I was dropped on my head..and there were other times when I have had some pretty bad thunks..none of these were seriously attended to, but I might have gotten scrambled up a bit nonetheless...As a result, maybe certain parts of my brain have overcompensated for parts that might have gotten a little bit damaged....This does not mean that I am stupid, but it has caused me quite a few problems...
Anyhow...This is only a theory I have about myself...

Was wondering if there were other aspies that might have similar wondrings themselves, or else a history of some sorta head trauma...

I have listed my symptoms numerous times..I am a historic ADDer but with alotta Aspie traits....very verbal, but with dyscalclia(sp?)

twosheds
Raven
Raven

21 Apr 2007, 1:22 am

I had an emergency forceps delivery after getting stuck in the birth canal. My childhood neurologists always just assumed that was the reason for my motor clumsiness and VIQ>PIQ.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 1:31 am

It was never ever brought up with me 'cause I never went to see a doctor for my mental problems, but...I was a forceps baby too.

Had awful horrible headaches the whole time growing up.

Then again my roommate who was supposedly born feet first with the cord around his neck....he is apparently not an Aspie...

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 2:54 am

the docter had to pull me out as i was stuck. he dented my head a bit. they say my mother should have sued foe malpractice. i was dropped at 6months climbed out of the crib and fell on my head at 1(not a tear did i shed)dropped again a 2,fell down the stairs at 4,ran into a pole,fell off the jungle gym,the pullup bar(onto solid concrete)and walked in to a brick wall at 6,and hit my self in the head with a metal base ball bat swinging at the ball just last week(at 15). im kinda danger pron i guess. :lol: .... :oops: i have had migranes since i was 7. bright light does it.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 3:53 am

I took a couple of decent falls when young, but I don't
think there was any brain injury.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 4:02 am

Well, I was born naturally also. That is surprising though. I don't know HOW I was born, as I was SO large. I never heard anything about forceps though.

As for falling, I DID fall down the stairs a couple times because they were built by idiots. They had open faces, so you had to be slow and careful, ect... MONTHS after my last accident, they passed a FEDERAL LAW against such stairs, and I don't think I ever saw them again. Still, I NEVER got bruises, NEVER lost consciousness, don't think I ever cried, and didn't seem to have ANY changes in reaction or abilities. I always considered my brain my biggest asset. I never had a big problem without reassessing.

I don't know WHAT idiots decided forceps were so safe. I guess we're lucky that the brain is resilient, and there is at least cartilage protecting the brain/ STILL, in a normal birth(WITHOUT forceps, etc...), pressure is exerted pretty evenly. 10 pounds of force evenly distributed is LESS destructive than 1 pound of localized force.

Steve

Spiritualwoman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2007, 4:11 am

I have also been wondering what kind of symptoms hurting the head might cause.

Other thing is I always had headache at school.

And I defenatelly do that...compensate my weaknesses with my abilities...

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 5:05 am

It is interesting you mention it because I'm been diagnosed with 'executive frontal problems'. It is not some much a condition as a fact. It gives me sere executive dysfunction that is basically stopping me being who I want to be. It could be cause by tiny legions in the brain from a head injury. I did fall backwards onto a rock according to my parents. there are other possible times when i could have been injured. I'm really hoping it is not that because there isn't much they can do. I'm hoping it might be caused by ADD or something treatable.

The guy did say he reached the end of his expertise with me. He was pretty much the only helpful person apart from my shrink in trying to help me. To bad the others were suck twats and no it all and have done nothing to help me in the three year since.

Mushroom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2007, 8:22 am

Once when I was about one, my dad was throwing me up and down and my head hit the ceiling. It took me a while to understand what had happened and I started crying... then, one day when I was 2-something, I was walking in a dangerous manner- I was walking by one of those street waterwats, and trying to fit my steps with the trees that had grown by them... and I just fell down and my head hit the stones covering the waterway hard. It hurt a lot and I had a big cut above my right eyebrow... oddly enough I didn't cry at all this time.
Another one happened when I was older, but once when I was about 5 I lost balance while descending the stairs and went spinning down the stairs. The back of my head hit the last stair.

That's my history of hitting my head...

And, since we are comparing birth types, I was born caesarian at 8 months without any problems.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 9:28 am

I knocked a couple of good sized "eggs" on my forehead from childhood accidents, but I don't think those injuries caused me any trouble.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 10:58 am

I had a couple of knocks also, but I don't know if they would have been enough to cause any damage. When I was six, I was sliding down an inclined patch of ice for fun when I slipped and hit my head pretty hard. I think I was knocked out for a second, because when I opened my eyes, the kids I'd been sliding with were all looking down at me. I had a bad headache later on in the day, too.
Then when I was about 10, I was walking across this old, beat-up dock in the woods, and when I stepped on the end of one board as I was getting off of it, the other end came up and smacked me in the back of the head really hard. I was never taken to the doctor for either of these though, so I doubt they caused any problems.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 11:00 am

blackcat wrote:
the docter had to pull me out as i was stuck. he dented my head a bit. they say my mother should have sued foe malpractice.

Is it still dented? The pressures of birth often deform babies' skulls temporarily, since the bones of the head aren't fused together yet.

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 11:48 am

The Non Verbal Learning Disorder website, nldontheweb.org mentions head injury being responsible for NLD in some cases. NLD looks very much like AS. Perhaps the same thing?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 11:50 am

Who’s to say head injury could cause Autism in some cases. It seems far fetched. But they know there are some geometric and chemical different attributed to various things.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 12:43 pm

I was speaking to a neuropsychologist the other week she says she sees many children with a diagnosis of AS who have suffered head injuries.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 12:49 pm

fresco wrote:
I was speaking to a neuropsychologist the other week she says she sees many children with a diagnosis of AS who have suffered head injuries.

Maybe AS is why I fell over backwards.