what exactly is a flight or fight response in AUTISM?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2016, 4:49 pm

is this what makes us lose control?

this most likely is partly a meltdown thing.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 6:49 pm

The amygdala/limbic system is the fight or flight mechanism in everyone's brain. Recent studies have shown increased neuro-electric activity in the brains of those with high functioning autism.

This part of the brain works in tandem with the prefrontal cortex, the more logical part of the brain. If you walk down the street and a pitbull suddenly comes running at you from around the corner, you don't stop to think of how best to deal with this threat. That hesitation could cost you your life. In such a case your amygdala would quickly assume control over your autonomic responses and get you to safety as quickly as possible.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3874476/

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 2:07 am

Stupid limbic system, always over reacting. That's why meltdowns are much of of a neurological thing that a behavior issue.

Great post Robin!

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 9:18 am

Yes, I would say that to if I was here to say, it. Also, I wonder if it make us hypersensitive to danger? That has seemed to happen on many occasions.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 1:40 pm

I nickname my amygdala "Lizard Boy" because that part of the brain is commonly referred to as the lizard brain.

Lizard Boy is like spider senses. It goes into overdrive at the first sign of danger. The stubbornness some of us exhibit, the inflexibility, the black & white thinking were all necessary for survival. Staying alive was always a split decision and Lizard Boy stayed alert all the time, constantly scanning the environment for dangers. Hypersensitive to danger? You bet. Friend or foe approaching? Who knows? Best to stay safe and simply avoid the confrontation.

A meltdown back in Neanderthal days would have been a definite benefit for survival. Imagine a predator sneaking up on you and you suddenly burst into an explosive noisy tirade. Your bizarre behavior would intimidate your aggressor into slinking back into the relative safety of the woods.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 4:05 pm

Flights can mean leaving the room or zoning out. Present but not there mentally.

I think PTSD might play a part in some people. :arrow: