can sleep disorders start developing as a teenager?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2016, 12:16 pm

idk if i do have a sleep disorder.

but i always seem to wake up alot or its hard for me to fall a sleep or something.

i usually get like prob 2 hours to 3 hours of sleep?

sometimes i do stay asleep but im not exactly sure i have a sleep disorder.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 12:50 pm

I didn't ever have a problem with my sleep until I was 19. That was August 1989 when I was starting a new job at 6am.

Suddenly, out of the blue, I had problems sleeping. I have struggled with my sleep ever since.

Neuron9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2016, 1:21 pm

If you're having problems with sleep (either or both falling asleep or staying asleep), you could probably benefit from talking to a doctor about it. They know about sleep hygiene and can help you figure out what would help you. There are likely lifestyle changes that you could make to sleep better: no caffeine after lunch time (or 3:00, or? depending on how it effects you. Even caffeine drunk at breakfast can reduce the quality of my sleep), exercise, melatonin, a regular sleep/wake/be-in-bed schedule, etc. are all possible approaches to improving sleep. Actually, these are things that I have been working with to improve my sleep (and they have been working), and with improved sleep comes improved quality of life. So the effort is definitely worth it.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 2:06 pm

I got mine first when I was 8. A fun case of Insomnia. Been falling asleep during classes ever since. And continued, became a habit too, all the way to college. :lol:
Never got to deal against it, and I'm fine. Happier with longer days even if I'm tired for a half a day. I learned how to deal with my energy reserves without forcing myself to fatigue and lethargy because of lack of sleep.

But during teenage years or so, I start to hate sleep because it's giving me problems during and upon waking up.
The longer I sleep, the more likely I get a headache when I wake up. Which has something to do with sinusitis.
And whenever I'm asleep, I'm more likely to get sick or catch something during that. Especially when it's cold. :x

And this is my current sleeping issue(s).

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Apr 2016, 11:34 pm

I developed sleeping problems when I was 20 cuz I was in my 1st relationship & was very obsessed with her. I did not like the idea of sleeping alone & I had anxiety & OCD that caused me to worry things were going on that weren't. I don't really have sleeping problems nowadays cuz I'm living with my current girlfriend, am on anxiety & OCD medication & meds I'm on help me sleep.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:57 am

I started having a lot more of an irregular sleep pattern after I turned 13. I am currently 15 and it is very irregular.