Relational Databases and Asperger's Syndrome

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 10:39 am

Relational databases are ways of storing large sets of data in such a way that having the key to one row of a table potentially unlocks rows of data in other tables (e.g., Customer with primary key "Smith, John" has many Purchases with Purchase_ID "20070506103302", "20070420162000", etc.). Data is retrieved using a special declarative language called the Structured Query Language (SQL). These queries are sent to the relational database management system (RDBMS), and resulting row sets are returned. Such a system is behind most websites of any significant complexity (even Wrong Planet!).

Does this parallel your own thought processes as an individual with Asperger's syndrome? Would you prefer that people asked you questions in SQL: "SELECT first_name, middle_initial, last_name, date_of_birth FROM person WHERE person_id = 'self'"?

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 10:45 am

no

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 10:54 am

neanthuman,

That is my current specialty!! !! EVERYONES brain works like that, though it is structured in a striped format(Which causes the partial recal effect), and each piece is cross indexed to every other piece(which is why they can take out huge chunks of brain, and why multiple related memories strengthen memories)

So I would like to simply be able to analyze the main index, and maybe have a list of tables! Other than that, I am happy about the way my brain works! 8-)

Steve

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 May 2007, 10:58 am

Not sure but would hope I would be running on Sqlite.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 10:59 am

I LOVE relational databases
I built one in my last job and they were v happy but I also have the complete database content in my head and so they were not happy when I left and went to work for the competition as they couldn`t `wipe it` :lol:

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

the-over-analyzed
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2007, 11:00 am

That's funny. I wouldn't literally want questions coming at me like I'm a machine, but I do know what you mean. I wish people would be more precise and direct about what they are asking.

I hate open ended quetsions like "So tell me a little bit about yourself?" I have know idea what they are looking for. Sometimes I answer with something like "I had scrambled eggs and wheat toast for breakfast."

And I'm only half-way joking when I answer like that. After all, it does answer their question.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 11:09 am

alexbeetle wrote:
I LOVE relational databases
I built one in my last job and they were v happy but I also have the complete database content in my head and so they were not happy when I left and went to work for the competition as they couldn`t `wipe it` :lol:

OK, How large was it, and how much time did you have????

It sometimes amazes me what I remember, but my recall is usually not NEARLY as good. 8-(

Steve

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 11:26 am

I'm a db man too. :) No I think the brain's relationships are far more dynamic. Have some ideas how I may go about estimating judgement in AI for games like Go (Wei Ch'i). An idea of priority lists (I don't want to call them tables for the sake of clarity) that defines these dynamic relationships. Judgement is what make us efficient, it isn’t just about capacity. Anyway I'm blabbering. Yes I wouldn't mind if people speak to me in SQL. What always surprises me is how many things aren't normalised, even on big sites and commercial software.

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 11:52 am

But relational databases are normalized. :lol:

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 12:26 pm

SeriousGirl wrote:

NOT ALWAYS!! !! !! !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have ACTUALLY been to places to DEnormalize them!

Normalized is good to save space, reduce network requirements, and make things easier to change globally. In ASpie brain terms, space is always saved, there is no network savings, and it shouldn't always be changed globally anyway!

DEnormalized is easier to report on, work with, and keep historical relationships.

Steve

manalitwist
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 12:27 pm

Kosmonaut wrote:
no

Dont i know you :?:

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 1:10 pm

the-over-analyzed wrote:
That's funny. I wouldn't literally want questions coming at me like I'm a machine, but I do know what you mean. I wish people would be more precise and direct about what they are asking.

I hate open ended quetsions like "So tell me a little bit about yourself?" I have know idea what they are looking for. Sometimes I answer with something like "I had scrambled eggs and wheat toast for breakfast."

And I'm only half-way joking when I answer like that. After all, it does answer their question.

Yeah, I know what you mean about SQL / relational database style thinking too!

And the-over-analyzed, I don't like open ended questions either. Like when people ask 'What's he/she like?' What do you want to know exactly????

It really would make things a lot easier if people could be more specific!

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 2:17 pm

SeriousGirl wrote:

Yes strictly speaking SQL DBMS don't have to conform to relational model.