Autistic or with autism? Results of answers.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 1:21 pm

Hi,

I've finally got round to writing down the answers of the little survey I posted a while back.

52 people answered in total, though not everyone answered every question.
I've written how many people answered each question next to the question. I've also written the number of people for each answer and then the percentage of people.

Do you prefer autistic or person with autism? -52

37 preferred Autistic, 2 preferred person with autism and 13 weren’t bothered.

71.2% preferred Autistic.
3.8% preferred person with autism.
25% weren’t bothered.

Do you mind if others say person with autism rather than autistic? (This is not when people insist on person with autism, but maybe use both interchangeably) -43

15 did not like when people say person with autism and 28 did not mind if people say person with autism.

34.9% did not like when people say person with autism.
65.1% did not mind when people say person with autism.

Do you like it if people insist you shouldn't say autistic and should say person with autism instead? -34

34 people did not like/hate when people insist on person with autism.

100% of people did not like/hate when people insist on person with autism.

Do you like functioning levels, or would you prefer just autism or aspergers? -34

0 people liked functioning labels, 30 did not like functioning levels and 4 did not mind.

0% liked functioning labels.
88.2% do not like functioning labels.
11.8% do not mind functioning labels.

Do you prefer autism spectrum disorder ASD or autism spectrum condition ASC? (I only ask as I've come across asc quite a few times) -35

17 preferred ASD, 8 preferred ASC and 10 did not mind either way.

48.6% preferred ASD.
22.9% preferred ASC.
28.6% did not mind.
(for some reason this percentage adds up to 100.1%, and I'm not sure why, but it'll do some approximate percentages.)

Thanks for answering, and maybe it is of some interest to some, and of some use if someone claims something. 52 people isn't an overly representative amount of people but it's quite good.