Are you familiar with this symbol for autism?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 9:59 am

Apparently, a rainbow infinity sign is a symbol for autism. I like it better (aesthetically) than the puzzle piece thing.

I want to get a Phoenix tattoo soon that's visible (inside of my lower arm). It will be black lines with a water color look. And all the colors will represent something I've dealt with and either conquered (like paralysis and malnutrition) or struggle less with now (like autism). I only say I struggle less with it because I'm becoming more accepting of it, not because I'm implying it's going away..

I'm just curious how many people are familiar with that symbol. I hadn't run into it until recently. I want it worked in to my tattoo.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 10:07 am

It puts autism in a better light.

It makes us less of a "puzzle."

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 10:15 am

screen_name wrote:

I want to get a Phoenix tattoo soon that's visible (inside of my lower arm). It will be black lines with a water color look. And all the colors will represent something I've dealt with and either conquered (like paralysis and malnutrition) or struggle less with now (like autism). I only say I struggle less with it because I'm becoming more accepting of it, not because I'm implying it's going away..

Why just dip your toe into the sea of tattooing when you can just jump in :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Last edited by SaveFerris on 03 Oct 2016, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 10:24 am

I kinda think it looks too much like an LGBT symbol which could be confusing. Plus I don't get how infinity represents autism. And even has "Autism Pride" written on it in some I looked at, which again makes it look like like a "Gay Pride" type thing. I have even seen "Autism is the new Gay" mentioned before. Not sure what that's supposed to mean. Is there a symbol for other neurological disorders like my dyspraxia? Or other neurological disorder pride mottos?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 10:28 am

EzraS wrote:
I have even seen "Autism is the new Gay" mentioned before. Not sure what that's supposed to mean.

It just means it's fashionable to be autistic - it's a bizzare world.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2016, 10:56 am

I think that it's perhaps intended to mean that Autism is now in the same situation as Gay was a few decades ago, misunderstood and not fully accepted.

Personally I prefer the jigsaw pieces symbol.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 11:18 am

Jute wrote:
I think that it's perhaps intended to mean that Autism is now in the same situation as Gay was a few decades ago, misunderstood and not fully accepted.

The phrase is known as a Snowclone ( google just told me )

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 11:22 am

I don't feel a need for a symbol.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 11:22 am

I have seen this symbol before.

Personally, I prefer the puzzle symbol.

A rainbow sign, without the puzzle piece aspect, to me is a symbol of the LGBT community.

I choose to wear the puzzle symbol on a necklace. I know that it also has negative connotations to some, but I feel that:

1) It's a more recognisable symbol, less likely to be confused with others.

2) To me, the use of a puzzle piece indicates that we all have many puzzle pieces making up the big picture of who we are. This applies to NT and neurodiverse people. It's just that our puzzle pieces may be slightly different shapes.

I thought for a while about the symbol that I wanted to wear, and I just couldn't find the rainbow infinity symbol with anything other than 'random autism cause sign that might be recognised as a gay pride symbol'.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 11:25 am

btbnnyr wrote:
I don't feel a need for a symbol.

Sounds like a Blazing Saddles quote "We don't need no stinking badges" :lol:

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 11:42 am

Thanks everyone!

The puzzle piece just doesn't fit the "flow" of my planned tattoo. So, I think I'll get the rainbow infinity one in there somehow.

I would be fine it I were mistaken as being in the LGBQT community. As a family, we are big supporters of LGBQT rights (we have a rainbow flag outside our home).

But, I'm a straight cis female (I think I did that correctly. I'm a female who likes men who was born and identifies as a female.)

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 12:39 pm

I also like the infinity sign. It puts us into a more positive light.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 12:47 pm

Jute wrote:

Personally I prefer the jigsaw pieces symbol.

It insinuates your broken, a thing to overcome, a puzzle.
Personally I prefer this symbol v

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2016, 1:00 pm

Pieplup wrote:

Why does it insinuate broken? A puzzle is simply something that isn't full understood, something of a mystery in fact. A Jigsaw puzzle isn't a complete picture until it is correctly put together. To me autism isn't full understood and perhaps one day, when all the separate strands of information are gathered together, then just like a jigsaw, it will be solved but for now autism remains a puzzle.

Autism Social Forum

Last edited by Jute on 03 Oct 2016, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 1:01 pm

Jute wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
Personally I prefer this symbol v

Why does it insinuate broken? A puzzle is simply something that isn't full understood, something of a mystery in fact. A Jigsaw puzzle isn't a complete picture until it is correctly put together. To me autism isn't full understood and perhaps one day, when all the separate strands of information are gathered together, then just like a jigsaw, it will be solved but for now autism remains a puzzle.
It is insinuating I'm a puzzle piece not a full picture. Which is insinuating I'm broken.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2016, 1:04 pm

You really do have a persecution complex, it isn't insinuating anything about you. A puzzle piece simply suggests that autism is a puzzle, something that isn't fully understood, which is perfectly true.

Autism Social Forum