The most screwed up thing about me: Never ate fruit!

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Supernootz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 May 2007, 7:48 am

I've never been able to eat fruits my whole life. I mean never. I've never eaten an apple, an orange, a melon...nothing!

I like the tastes, orange juice (NO PULP!), apple juice, grape juice. I love artificially flavored fruit stuff, especially cherry, lemon and grape. I LOVE CANDY!

But on every occasion where I've tried to eat a fruit, I've gagged on it and unable to chew, or swallow it.

By the way, I'm 35, physically fit and in excellent health.

Anyone else there in the same boat?

Flake
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2007, 7:51 am

that is very strange. i love fruit. is it because it is raw maybe?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

10 May 2007, 7:54 am

My 3 year old nephew refuses to eat fruit but will drink juice. I think fruit is an over rated food anyway. Mostly sugar. Pulp is just fiber which one can get from other sources also.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 8:01 am

As long as you drink the fresh fruit juice you’ll be ok.

Demonic_Duck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 May 2007, 8:03 am

You ever tried the smaller varieties of orangey-thingies? Such as satsumas, clemantines, tangerines? All very nice and easier to peel than oranges. And possibly less chokable as they are smaller?

As for apples, I like the taste and even the texture, but I can't stand the skin. The very thought of it sets my teeth on edge. Also it makes my mouth sore.

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 8:39 am

I don't eat much of it except oranges. A lot the time I don't want to eat those unless I'm doing some type of reduced sleep experiment that makes me crave certain foods. I also have a good immune system and am mostly healthy. Do you sleep more than the average person? Or less? This might be a small factor in it.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 8:45 am

I rarely eat fruit, except for apples and oranges. I don't like melons. They tend to give a me a sore throat. Bananas make me gag. I do like yogurt, however.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 9:46 am

I don't eat much fruit. My mom feels I should eat more. With oranges I tend to gag on them. With apples I don't like the skin! I do like juice though. I really like lemonaide-sorry I cant remember how to spell that :oops:

Gilb
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 10:17 am

Supernootz wrote:
I've never been able to eat fruits my whole life. I mean never. I've never eaten an apple, an orange, a melon...nothing!

I like the tastes, orange juice (NO PULP!), apple juice, grape juice. I love artificially flavored fruit stuff, especially cherry, lemon and grape. I LOVE CANDY!

But on every occasion where I've tried to eat a fruit, I've gagged on it and unable to chew, or swallow it.

By the way, I'm 35, physically fit and in excellent health.

Anyone else there in the same boat?

You are not alone i have some inexplicable mental block with eating fruit and even most vegetables

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 11:41 am

I like fruit, so I can't relate to you there. I've never liked soft drinks and some people think this is weird.

madscientist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 May 2007, 11:53 am

I'm very picky with fruit. I like apples, bananas, melons and grapes, but dislike most berries. I like orange flavor, but won't eat oranges (this is partly due to an acid reflux condition which is exacerbated by citric acid). I also can't stand fruit cooked - such as apple or banana pies.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 12:29 pm

I love fruit. Raw, whole, cooked, juiced, whatever. There's only a few fruit I won't eat in any form, like avocados and dates, and things like raisins and apples I can pass on because I'm so bored with them. But I'll happily try exotic fruits. I eat oranges and bananas almost everyday and I'll eat almost any other fruit whever I can, especially pineapple, mango and berries.

Prudence
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2007, 12:31 pm

I love fruit more than desserts.

E7ernal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2007, 12:37 pm

I much prefer vegetables to fruit. Though I do like fruit juice/smoothies etc.

Supernootz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 May 2007, 1:35 pm

Prudence wrote:
I love fruit more than desserts.

What about apple pie?

Incidently, I won't eat that either!

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 1:43 pm

i've had the same natural tendancies... but have made myself eat fruit and now do so in a helathy fashion. but i still prefer the taste of artificial "candy" fruit over the actual fruit.

i think it's a texture thing. i've had nerve damage to my tongue and have loss sensation/taste for half of my tongue and i detest the texture of a lot of fruit. if i hadn't of taught myself to eat the fruits previously... then i'd probably have a terrible diet now.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl