Do You Feel Bad About Spending Time Online?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you feel bad about the amount of time you spend online?
Yes 28%  28%  [ 10 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 18 ]
Mainly when someone else makes me feel bad 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Other 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 36

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 1:44 am

This is a question for people who spend a lot of time online for recreation (not school, work, or other responsibilities).

Some people think that people who hang out online a lot are losers, especially if there isn't much time spent with other people (in person) or doing things away from home. They don't think reading online or playing games are legitimate hobbies.

I had started worrying about the amount of time I spent online and what it meant, but, since I got diagnosed with a central auditory processing deficit, I understand that I like to be online because reading and typing are much easier and more efficient ways for me to communicate and get information than talking and listening.

I gained respect for alternative ways of learning, communicating, and socializing from people's posts on WP, and I extended that respect to myself. I no longer dreadfully imagine forcing myself to act normally.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 2:03 am

Only if I'm not working or doing other things. I get bored of it and feel like I'm ignoring other aspects of life, and find it hard to enjoy recreation.

As long as someone is living their life and occupying themselves, I don't think it matters. Whether it's a video game or going out to a bar, you can't take any of it with you when you die. All that matters is whether or not it was good.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 2:46 am

The only negative aspect to being online for me is I can't be online as much as I'd like. The worst part of being online is having to log off to go to bed or school or whatever. I'm already beyond/below what someone would call a loser, so no loss there.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 11:35 am

I used to spend the majority of my free time online a few years ago, blogging constantly on Tumblr, but I don't spend much time online anymore. My mom would make me feel bad back then. I was too sick to have a job and it was how I occupied myself when my mom was at work. The only online time I have now is for Wrong Planet, DeviantArt, and Flickr and I don't use the latter two very much anymore.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 11:55 am

I don't unless it is while, I'm supposed to be doing something else, Then I feel guilty about not doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2016, 12:17 pm

Honestly, with how f****d up things are nowadays, I feel more like I have to be around family than online. I feel as if something very bad is going to happen in the next few years across the whole world, so I'm spending time with family before everything falls apart completely.

Am I paranoid? Not really. Anybody who is aware of current events and how tense the world is getting will understand.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Dec 2016, 12:31 pm

Maybe I use to but it really is the only outlet now, I honestly don't know what my life would of been like without it.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 3:22 pm

No. Should I be?

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 3:30 pm

Yeah, I sometimes do. I feel like I should be doing something more productive or at least reading.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 3:31 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
No. Should I be?

No.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 8:44 pm

I don't use the internet all that much for leisure (not much free time), but that which I do spend I do not feel bad about. My family does not accept me as I am (my mother even tells me that it's selfish to expect people to accept me the way I am), so online (like here :D) is nearly the only place I can safely be myself. Is it wrong to want to spend time with people who accept me, even digitally?

schopenhauer with a keyboard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2016, 3:08 am

yes, and i spend 100% of my time online.
i have done for 6 years.
every single day, get on computer till sleep.
i don't feel like i have any other options in this world.
i feel bad because i feel like it's all i'm capable of and i've been trapped in this cycle for so long.
i feel like i've lost all contact with the real world and i live on the internet now.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Dec 2016, 12:19 am

I did when I was about 20 cuz my mom was on my back about how I needed to have a job & didn't have a life because I was spending so much time online. I was doing my best to find a job & I never had much of a life even when i was in school & didn't have a computer. I got so frustrated I was getting ready to leave the net & I made a frustrated post on a forum I used alot. A girl replied that I had chatted with abit before & seemed concerned so I replied & ended up staying. She ended up becoming my 1st girlfriend & I never really left the net. I think I would of got in some serious trouble if I had left the net then. My mom had been on my back LOTS of times about me spending too much time on the net but I never really felt guilty sense then. I don't use the net as much as i used to sense I got a girlfriend I'm living with & spend a lot of time with.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 9:23 pm

I wish more people would vote in the poll.

More than one fourth of respondents feel bad. That's a significant number.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 10:40 pm

No, what I do with my time is my choice. To hell with the opinions of others :twisted:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 11:25 pm

The only time I feel bad about spending time online is when I have chores to do.